Wonderful time on the Getaway!!

Kimf

I also posted this on the cruise critic review forum tonight, but assume it will take a day or two to show up there. So, here you go! I will try to answer some questions if anyone has any.

I'm sad to say we just returned from our week on the Getaway - would love to have stayed for a few more days! We absolutely loved the ship and would recommend it to almost anyone, especially families! I will sort my review by topics:

Embarkation/Disembarkation: Both went very smooth. We arrived at the port early and were in the 2nd boarding group. I was sitting in a lounger in the sun by 11:30 as happy as could be. Getting off the ship went quickly too - less than 30 minutes, including getting luggage and customs.

Room: We had a mid ship mini suite (10230). Since we had 4 of us in the room, 3 adults and one 11 year old boy - we appreciated the slightly larger room and bathroom area. We had plenty of storage for our belongings. The room was a decent size and the balcony, while small, could fit 3 people easily if standing. The shower was a little tricky to figure out with all the different jets, but nice water pressure. The king size bed was comfortable and my son loved his bunk bed that came out of the ceiling. The only minor issue we had is the drawers under the couch were a bit tricky to open/close if the couch was open as a bed.

Food: Overall we thought the food was good and liked the various decors of the dining rooms and specialty restaurants. We had been on the Jewell last year and I thought the food on the Getaway was definitely much better. My only food disappointment that week was the molten lava chocolate cake... it tasted fine, but was served cold, so just wasn't what I wanted or expected. My husband and I ate at Cagney's one night and loved it, and the four of us ate at Teppanyaki one night. This is a great option with kids - my son absolutely loved the demonstration while cooking and the chefs do a great job including the kids in their routine. We ate in all three of the main dining rooms (Taste, Savor and Tropicana) and O'Sheehans for dinners, in addition to the specialty restaurants. For breakfast and lunch we always ate in the Garden Café or Flamingos (just once). And, who can forget the soft serve ice cream! My son (and maybe dad and mom) had several cones a day! They also had scoop ice cream available most of the time too during prime time dining! I also love the chocolate croissants at breakfast... you don't want to know how many of those I ate each day.

Service: We did not encounter any unfriendly staff members during out trip. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. A few of things that I really loved is that during the day they would periodically bring around cold washcloths and/or spray bottle misters to the sunbathers to help cool you off - that was a very nice and unexpected treat! They also brought fruit smoothie samples around one day - a great way to sell them and it worked with my son! Finally two different nights the brought a small plate of chocolates/chocolate covered strawberries to our room (with a card from the hotel director). I was not sure if that was because I am a measly bronze latitude member or attended the cruise critic meet and greet - but again, we loved it! Little extras like this are what would bring me back to this cruise line again.

Entertainment: We went to Illusionarium and absolutely loved it! Definitely don't miss this. We paid for premium seating, which I thought was worthwhile. I thought the food was good too, except I did not care for the desserts. My sister and I went to the Wine Lovers lunch too.... I thought it was ok. It seemed to get a bit long and they made you only tastes the wines at certain points in the show and it seemed like the last 3 got rushed into about 10-15 minutes. It was fun trying the wines and they provide a good pour.... I do wish the lunch was a little lighter though vs. a big dinner like meal. We also went to Howl at the Moon one night and loved that too! The rest of the night life was usually too late for us early to bed, early to rise folks!

Sports/Kids stuff: My son loved, loved, loved the ropes course, water slides, mini golf, ping pong, bowling, skeetball and basketball (the last three in "O'Sheehans). This ship is definitely geared towards families - which worked perfectly for us. Yes, it was spring break and the lines were often long for the slides and ropes course, but he still had fun. We also found port days a good time to take advantage of some of those activities when open.

Bars: We loved the outdoor seating at Sugar Cane and the Sunset bar. Great place to go for a pre-dinner beverage and relaxation. I did try the mojito flight at Sugarcane our last night there - pretty good, but not exactly what I expected. Fun to try though! Bar service staff at the pool/sun decks were also great. I was really impressed that several of them remembered our names (maybe that was a bad sign????) and even favorite drinks by the end of the cruise.

If you have kids/grandkids - especially tweeners to young teens, this cruise is a great option to consider!

Thanks for the great review. I have a question about the ropes and slides if you have time. I am somewhat mobility limited. I almost always walk with a cane and for any long distances or more difficult terrain (such as the long ramps to board ship), it is much easier for me if I am in a chair. Ramps and long flights of tall stairs kick my butt. I can however get around if I take my time on things that do not require a huge amount of balance etc. (I hope that makes sense.) Will I be able to do any of the rope or slide activities on the ship?

Thanks for the great review. I have a question about the ropes and slides if you have time. I am somewhat mobility limited. I almost always walk with a cane and for any long distances or more difficult terrain (such as the long ramps to board ship), it is much easier for me if I am in a chair. Ramps and long flights of tall stairs kick my butt. I can however get around if I take my time on things that do not require a huge amount of balance etc. (I hope that makes sense.) Will I be able to do any of the rope or slide activities on the ship?

I'm also just off Getaway and hope I can help. I unfortunately doubt that you'll be able to do the ropes course as it is a lot of walking and balancing on ropes and wooden planks. If you can get up the stairs, which seemed about 2 flights, you might be able to do the slides but it'll be your judgement once you see them on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm also just off Getaway and hope I can help. I unfortunately doubt that you'll be able to do the ropes course as it is a lot of walking and balancing on ropes and wooden planks. If you can get up the stairs, which seemed about 2 flights, you might be able to do the slides but it'll be your judgement once you see them on the ship.

Thanks for the feedback. I was kind of thinking that would be the case. I am sure no matter what that i will have a wonderful time. I want to be able to get a really good picture of my son on the plank if nothing else...

Hi - I agree with Katie's thoughts. One of the slides is a little lower than the other 4 though - and that one might be doable for you to try. They do have a mini golf course to that is fun too! I wish I was going again soon... especially as it is snowing again in MN! :( :mad:

Disney - I think the lines could last up to 45-60 minutes for the ropes coarse when really busy (usually right after they opened), but the slide lines, while long - seemed to move at a good pace - maybe 10 -15 minutes at the busiest times. Our ship was completely full - but it never seemed too bad for getting around. Have fun - we loved it!

ImaKrazyKruizer - I just noticed your picture comment. I took pictures of my son on the plank from the corner of the mini golf course and I think they turned out pretty good!

Disney - I think the lines could last up to 45-60 minutes for the ropes coarse when really busy (usually right after they opened), but the slide lines, while long - seemed to move at a good pace - maybe 10 -15 minutes at the busiest times. Our ship was completely full - but it never seemed too bad for getting around. Have fun - we loved it!

I went around lunch time (11-1) both times I went on the ropes course and there was less than 15 mins wait! I did not try any of the slides but the lines also looked shorter when I was on the ropes course.

Thanks for the hint on the picture. I am probably going to have to pass on the ropes I guess. I'll take a look and MAYBE fi there is an extremely slack time and I can at least go up there to see what it looks like from the top. No matter what, I will have a great time on my cruise. 99% of having a good time or not is all in deciding if you are gong to do so!

I will also be traveling with my 11 year old son. Did yours spend any time in the kids club? If so, what were his/your thoughts on activities? Thanks for the review!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are there any weight limits for the ropes course? We have 1 in our group who is pretty heavy, and I don't want him to get embarrassed by not being allowed on the ropes.

I think it was 300 lbs and they did have a scale to weight people.

bowling, skeetball and basketball (the last three in "O'Sheehans)

Are these arcade games that are coin operated in the arcade?

All of them require you to swipe your key card and it charges your account. None of the games on the ship are coin operated.

I think it was 300 lbs and they did have a scale to weight people.

Do they weigh you once and give you a wristband to do the ropes course, or do they weigh you every time you go back?

Also, do they do a separate weigh-in for the slides? My son is right around 100 pounds and wants to do the drop slide. I know he will want to slide a lot and it will slow him down if he has to jump on the scale every time.

I will also be traveling with my 11 year old son. Did yours spend any time in the kids club? If so, what were his/your thoughts on activities? Thanks for the review!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would LOVE to know this too. No one has posted any of the Kids Club schedules. Our son will be 11 this summer too when we sail. The Kids Club is the one thing he does all night, every night. Would be so grateful to get a review on the kids area!! :)

I would LOVE to know this too. No one has posted any of the Kids Club schedules. Our son will be 11 this summer too when we sail. The Kids Club is the one thing he does all night, every night. Would be so grateful to get a review on the kids area!! :)

There actually HAVE been kids club schedules posted HERE. The problem is that these were posted before the ship had actually sailed. At this time, I know some things (such as the circus) has already changed based on what I have seen on posted dailies. Hoping to get some current info. I am mostly interested in the Blackbeard's Castle kids club exploration on St. Thomas, because if that is really happening, then we won't pay to pre-book an excursion that would conflict.

Edited by LrgPizza

Hello -

My 11 year old son refused to go the kids club, even though I think he would have enjoyed it. We did see them out and about with groups of kids a few times (ex - mini golf and ping pong).

The games are paid for my swiping your card. skeetball was $1, basketball $1.5 and I think bowling was $5.

I am not sure if our room was right over the waterfront, but had zero noise issues the how trip (only heard our neighbor cough once or twice)... and we were early to bed most nights. We could smell some cig smoke on the balancony, but I think there were smokers in the rooms near us (bummer - I hate cig smoke!).