RCCL wont match Travel Agencies OBC

I would think so. You have 60 days from the original booking date. If you got a new reservation number in March, you should be good.

You only have 60days after you book to transfer to a TA? I thought you had up until final payment :eek: I was going to sit on my reservation till Aug. because I'm sailing my 4 nighter till Oct.. This way I can add and check things myself. Then at the last moment transfer it to get the OBC from the TA. Thanks for the info.

I don't think 75% of cruises are booked with a TA I think 75% are booked directly with the cruise line.
Wrong!
Computers have replaced a lot of service industry jobs and TA's will be another casualty.

Been hearing that since the 90's and I am busier than ever. People call TA's because they want advice and service.

I don't think 75% of cruises are booked with a TA I think 75% are booked directly with the cruise line. I get calls constantly from my personal cruise consultant at RCL, Princess Ncl asking me about booking. Last week i was looking at HAL cruises online. he very next day I got a call from HAL asking if I would like to book a cruise with them. TA's are not available all the hours the cruise lines are available. If you want to make changes to your reservation or change cabins or take advantage of a price drop it's better to be able to call yourself and keep control of your booking. TA's are starting to charge for all changes and cancelling a booking. If I want to change cabins I'm not going to pay a TA $25 Pp ( a typical charge) to do what i can achieve in phone call. another decade. Computers have replaced a lot of service industry jobs and TA's will be another casualty.

we always book through an online TA and they answer phones 24hrs -7 days a weak ,never charged us for a cabin change or a cruise switch ,plus have received free grats ,obc also and they always honor any price drops . we always check for the price of cruise then when we book always call and speak to one of the ta`s in person and book over the phone.

Edited by cgr377

No, it's not. I'm a cruise TA. Maybe we do it differently in Australia...

Definitely not how we do it in the U.S. The cruise lines set the price, and the travel agent has to sell at that price. There are loopholes where they can offer certain perks, or they can book at a group rate that may be lower. The travel agent gets a set percentage as their commission. They can only change their commission by selling more in a given year so that the commission is raised for the next year.

we always book through an online TA and they answer phones 24hrs -7 days a weak ,never charged us for a cabin change or a cruise switch ,plus have received free grats ,obc also and they always honor any price drops . we always check for the price of cruise then when we book always call and speak to one of the ta`s in person and book over the phone.

This. I've only used an online TA and they're always available and never charged me a fee to make any changes. And as more and more people shop online anyway, I can totally see where 75% of bookings would be through TAs - online or otherwise.

We booked a cruise in Jan this year 14 nights transatlantic using a NCC which gave us a $150 OBC, this weekend my wife friend who has cruise with us before decides to travel with us again. So we make the booking for her, cabin for single traveller booked she gets a $400 OBC. Reason RCCL should have been at the London Cruise show but pull out at the last minute, here's the best bit RCCL increased the price pp by £150 from 2 days before the e-mail was sent Deal or No Deal??:

No, it's not. I'm a cruise TA. Maybe we do it differently in Australia...

I am a TA in the US (it is listed in my profile by the moderator)... TA's in the US are not allowed to undersell RCCL and the rates that we quote are the same as if a traveler called RCCL directly. RCCL works extremely hard to ensure fairness between themselves and their travel partners - and also to keep the 'playing field' pretty equal for all the travel agents that work with them. Vicki Freed is a huge advocate for Travel Partners and is not afraid to tell you so.

Having said that, there are benefits that a TA can extend to their clients that are available if agencies book groups on specific cruises. TA's in the US are not given wholesale rates - in the states and in most cases, the entire amount is due and paid to RCCL. Commissions are sent by RCCL when all payments have been received. I would expect that this is in accordance with US commerce laws.

I don't think 75% of cruises are booked with a TA I think 75% are booked directly with the cruise line. I get calls constantly from my personal cruise consultant at RCL, Princess Ncl asking me about booking. Last week i was looking at HAL cruises online. he very next day I got a call from HAL asking if I would like to book a cruise with them. TA's are not available all the hours the cruise lines are available. If you want to make changes to your reservation or change cabins or take advantage of a price drop it's better to be able to call yourself and keep control of your booking. TA's are starting to charge for all changes and cancelling a booking. If I want to change cabins I'm not going to pay a TA $25 Pp ( a typical charge) to do what i can achieve in phone call. another decade. Computers have replaced a lot of service industry jobs and TA's will be another casualty.

You can think that, but that doesn't make it true.