Snorkeling for a Non-Snorkeler

theshowmestate

Can anyone help me decide what would be best to try in St. Marrten; the experience scuba deal, snuba or a snorkeling adventure. Snorkeling kind of freaks me out as I don't like the feeling when I'm not breathing "normal". I can never figure out how to keep that snorkel thing from filling up with water too. It would be great to try while there, especially for my teens so any help or advice would be appreciated. Thx!

Can anyone help me decide what would be best to try in St. Marrten; the experience scuba deal, snuba or a snorkeling adventure. Snorkeling kind of freaks me out as I don't like the feeling when I'm not breathing "normal". I can never figure out how to keep that snorkel thing from filling up with water too. It would be great to try while there, especially for my teens so any help or advice would be appreciated. Thx!

Personally if you do not like it do not do it,

In St Thomas we booked a snorkel trip, and we are good swimmers but not Snorkelers, and you didn't dock you just had to jump off in swim gear and flippers on, and we had a storm at the same time.

Learning at Castaway cay is fine its shallow there.

In StM try Bernards tours for a private island tour.

If you want to try it, buy an inexpensive snorkel (you don't have to buy the whole mask) with a valve at the top that keeps the water out. If you have one of the crew on your excursion help you position the snorkel properly, and you don't dip your face/head way down (like trying to look at your feet while you're floating there) you won't get water in. It's the cheap snorkels that don't have a valve at the top that let water in.

Anyway, that said....I agree with Moki'sMommy....practice at home in your pool, or a local pool, or even the bath tub.

The best snorkel trips off St Maarten are the ones that go to St John....we particularly like Captain Nautica's. One of the tours makes a stop for beach time, so you could enjoy the boat ride and the beach, and then the teens could enjoy the snorkel part. One of our daughters doesn't really like snorkeling, so she loves the St John excursion with a beach stop, and we're all happy!

And even if you stay on the boat while the other snorkel, there are almost always a lot of sea turtles near St John, so you'd get to see them fairly up close.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

get a snorkel with a splash/dry top with a purge valve

I also use a mask with a purge in nose

use the vest in shallows to get comfy, dont want to be the person on vacation with an accident.

plus I have been in caribbean sea and have storm come out of no where.

with breaking waves coming in. got swamped and my vest saved me.

was able to regain, clear and roll to back

go along coast line, it's easy to float and get deeper than you think

relax, relax and relax breathe normal

snuba is a weight belted version with a similar mouth piece,

if you get feaked snorkeling in shallows, you may want to pass on deeper

if it is fear of water in snorkel tube, go with dry/splash with a purge

that way you can dive without water coming in, if it does, a quick out puff will expel the water from beyond the mouth piece at lower point

have fun, nothing better than enjoying the underwater

I can swim but lung issues make me tire very easily. Tried to snorkel the first time in pretty rough waves. Couldn't get all my "stuff" together and had to have help and get back on the boat. Then, in St. Thomas we did another snorkel trip and it was in a private cove so little wave action. I also used a vest and eased into the water down the ladder. I was able to float and get my act together and then snorkel when I was ready. With the vest it was really easy. I didn't have to worry about swimming and breathing, I could just float and breathe.