Good Promonade room????

RE: Mariner

I'm sure there are some better promonade rooms than others. I thought that it would be good to be in the area overlooking the cafe (24 hour, can't remember the name). Is the 6th, 7th, or 8th floor better? Is is better at the opposite end of the atrium area?

What about balcony rooms. It sounds as if some balconys are not so good. Any advice?

One last thing. Exactly WHERE are the humps? I'm sure this MUST have been asked before but I haven't seen anything.

DH and I had a promenade room on both the Mariner and the Voyager. We thought the rooms were fantastic! We did enjoy the one on the Mariner more however. Both were on deck 7 which we thought was an excellent spot in regards to height from the Royal Promenade. On the Voyager I think we had cabin 7609. It was only the second one in, so when we looked out the window we really couldn't see the Royal Promenade. We had a view of the centrum. On the Mariner we had cabin 7681. This was pretty central so we had a great view of the Royal Promenade. I believe that Vintages was accross from us. So, if you get a promenade cabin, I would try to get one that is more central. Have fun on your cruise! I wish I were going again!

Lisa

It's definitely better to be in the center or forward end of the Royal Promenade, versus aft end, for two reasons: (1) the view of the Centrum/Guest Relations desk is pretty boring; and (2) Boleros can be quite noisy late into the evening. It's also better to avoid obstructions, such as the bridges that cross over the Royal Promenade, and the sound/light booth. Members of my family have been in 7557 (forward end), 8581 (mid-ship) and in connecting cabins 7261-7263 (forward). The latter pair were right next to the sound/light booth (on a balcony that looks out over the RP) and just before the skybridge, and the view was not great due to these obstructions. 8595 was central, and my mom really enjoyed watching the giant ball hanging from the ceiling open and close right outside her window (it looks like a big, glowing Hoberman sphere)! The most forward promenade staterooms overlook the Promenade Cafe and gift shop, but offer a good vantage point for the parades because that's where the staging area is located. (It's also very convenient to be able to run down the stairs for coffee and pastries in the morning, and cookies and milk in the evening!)

We were in 8579 on the NOS and thought this was pretty good- not a bad view (looking over at Cafe Promenade- we could check out the line before we headed down for a snack:D )

The more central the better for parade watching, etc.

I would pick deck 7 or 8 to make sure that noise coming through the floor isn't too bad (especially if you are above a bar). I think I might have prefered deck 7 as it is a little farther away from the roof.

Also beware of connecting cabins- they can be a little noisier than those without the door between the two rooms.

We loved this type of cabin and have booked another on our upcomming cruise.

Cheers,

Be careful on the Promenade cabins. Yes its great to look below and watch but remember to keep the curtains closed when not watching. The cabins across and the people below CAN see into your cabin unless you are up the third level.

People below us could not really see in (though we could easilly see down into ours)- they could only see us if we were at the window as the windows on 8 "tip" down a little (look at a photo of the Promenade and you will see what I mean).

However, the people across from us could get a full show if we weren't careful;)

I would still prefer Deck 7.....

Cheers

Now I am concerned. We booked PR 7620 on the Freedom of the Seas and it is not in the center of the promenade. Looks like it is at the end 6 cabins from the elevator. I know this is a new ship, but does anyone have any advice?

Bill- it's hard to tell what you will be able to see until they show what Deck 5 is going to look like. I wouldn't worry until then.

Also, I started with a cabin on the end (which I have again for my Nov/06 cruise)- cabins will open up closer to the sailing date- after you have seen the floor plans, decide where you want to be and watch for rooms in that area....

But don't let this worry you too much- you still will be able to see something (for the room I have booked now I made sure it was facing the champagne bar instead of the guest relations desk opposite) and you might even get a peep show from the guests across the way;)

Cheers,

Hi Beth,

My DH and I are booked in cabin 8595 on our upcoming cruise in March on the Mariner.

Did the sphere you talk about cause the room not to become dark at night time? Do they leave the promenade lit all night?

Thanks for the info and any other info you can give up on the cabin.

Paula :)

I am currently booked in a Promenade cabin on Freedom of the Seas in October '06. When I booked it, the agent said, "I'll book you on deck 8 so you're the furthest away from any noise on the Promenade." But the more I think about it, that will also put me furthest away from watching stuff on the promenade (like parades, people, etc.) Plus I remember reading on these boards somewhere that you really can't hear much of what's going on down below on any deck anyway. I've heard some people say that the view is actually better from deck 8 because the way the windows slant out. Can anyone give me any input on this? If you had to choose between deck 7 and deck 8, which would you choose and why? Obviously different people will have different opinions/likes/dislikes, but I'm just trying to get a general consensus.

As for being in the middle of the promenade area, we're currently in cabin 8283 which is NOT an adjoining cabin but is on the end of a group of cabins. There is space between our cabin and the next one so I'm curious about what might be there. It's hard to tell since this is a new ship and may be slightly different from the Voyager class ships. Do you think that the largest space between the cabins is probably where that "bridge" will go across the promenade? (The one that they perform on & the captain gives his speech on.) I know it's all just speculation but I'm trying to remember how the setup was on the Mariner. Any guesses?

Mcfaddensfarm-

I had a PR room on NOS on deck 8. As I have said before I would go with deck 7 or 8 again (I have heard complaints from people on 6 about noise).

Benefits to 8:

Less people can see in

You can see parades and stuff- the window "bends" down a little- but we did have to lean over the sofa in the window to see

Little noise, even during parades

Benefits to 7:

Not quite so close to ceiling (I got this room 'cause I'm claustrophobic- looking out I thought the ceiling was a little close for my comfort)

Better view (not quite as much looking down on the action).

I am booked again for a PR room, again on 8. If I had my choice (which I don't at the moment), I think I might go for 7 and central but I won't be devistated if I stay on 8:D

We found the "empty" spaces on the floor plan to be where the cabin attendants carts were kept, elevators for luggage, etc. I heard some people complaining about noise from these areas but others said they heard nothing.

Hope this helps,

we were on deck six and looking out our window we could see the champagne bar, which has windows so we could even see the water which was nice. This was a perfect location. We did not have a noise problem. A quick run down one flight of stairs and we could get coffee and snacks at the cafe anytime. Loved it and I would request the same cabin again.

Better view (not quite as much looking down on the action).

Digital, what do you mean by "not quite as much looking down on the action"? You're saying though that 7 would be a better view than 8, right?

As for people not seeing in, last cruise we were on the very front of Mariner and if we didn't shut our curtains anyone could see in from the heliport area.:o So I'm used to making sure curtains are closed.

Here is the link to Freedom's deck plans:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=08&shipCode=FR&shipProfile=1161&sailDate=1060604&hasNavigation=false

Right now booked in 8283, but looking at possibly moving to 7283, 7583, 7297 or 7315. (Depending on which might be available.) Any input on this?

WE had 8587 and 8589 on the Explorer last January. It was a "girls" trip so we left the adjoining door open the entire week so it was like a giant cabin with two bathrooms.

We LOVED the location -- we could look down and see everything since it was a pretty central location. There was no noise and the light wasn't any bother if you closed the curtains. Just remember that the people across from you can see right into your cabin if the curtains are open :eek:

I'd book any cabin in the middle of either deck 7 or 8 - I think either would be just fine.

Sorry not the best wording. On deck 8 you can still see the Promenade but it's a little more of an aerial view- we we often looking at the tops of heads :D

That being said, I didn't mind being on 8 (and my husband still think he likes it better than 7- he liked the extra privacy).

In terms of the cabins you listed, I would say any should be fine (again not knowing the Freedom layout) but I might avoid 7315- not as central as I would have liked on the NOS.....

Seriously though- don't worry too much. We loved the room, didn't spend that much time in it, looked out the window mostly to see what the line was like at Cafe Promenade:D

Enjoy your cruise- wish we could try the FOS soon too!

Thanks for the info Digital. I called RCCL just a few minutes ago (probably while you were answering my post!) and asked about deck 7. They currently don't have any open cabins on deck 7 that aren't connecting. So I think I'll stick with our original on deck 8. I'm not claustrophobic, so the ceiling shouldn't bother me.;) Thanks again for giving me so much great information. You helped put my mind at ease.

By the way, for anyone interested--Last night I was checking out the Freedom website and they have a very short video that shows the windows in the Promenade area. (Along with several other videos that show the building process of other parts of the ship.) It was very exciting to watch that video and think, "Hey, one of those windows they're showing could be the one I'll be looking out of on my cruise!" You can check it out at freedomoftheseas.com

Made this ship seem a little more real to me, seeing it being built!

• 11 years later...