Should I have LOWER expectations with RCCL?

Understand the military pay my son coming up on 20 years but there is no way you should be paying $100 per day on RCI there is a HUGE discount for active military members, did you not know that?

My brother just booked back to back a 9 and 14 and he is retired military and his was under $60 per day so before you book call each cruise line and tell them you are military and you should get a great deal.

Had at my table for dinner on a cruise last year an active Air Force person and he paid 50% for their cruise so take advantage of the discounts and like my son I thank u for your service.

I am sorry. I really hate to "flame" anyone (I am not really directing this specifically at the OP - it's more of a general comment) but I am constantly amazed at the small things that people find to complain about.

Chocolates on pillows and robes??? Lobster night not on the "right night"??? Seriously??? I don't understand the entitled attitude of people today. This is a MASS MARKET CRUISE LINE. It is NOT the QE II.

I understand that everyone wants to feel spoiled on their vacation - I do too. But, that being said, I believe that the staff on most cruise ships do everything they can to make each and every person's vacation special (I know that there are some cases where this isn't true - but they are the exception not the rule).

I am of the opinion that a vacation is a blessing. Not every one has the opportunity to enjoy the ability to take a vacation - not to mention a cruise. If you can't find a way to enjoy yourself on a cruise - ANY CRUISE - I believe that speaks more about you as a person than it does about the cruise line (no matter which line it is). I would rather be in the smallest cabin on the oldest ship in any fleet than sitting at my desk.

There are "luxury" lines, but as many other's have said, you get what you pay for. You cannot expect to step on a mass market cruise ship and receive gold plated service and amenities (unless maybe you are staying in the highest suite category - and even then it is still not a luxury liner).

I am sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. For myself though, I can't imagine that I would ever let issues like these ruin my vacation.

Perfectly stated.

Understand the military pay my son coming up on 20 years but there is no way you should be paying $100 per day on RCI there is a HUGE discount for active military members, did you not know that?

My brother just booked back to back a 9 and 14 and he is retired military and his was under $60 per day so before you book call each cruise line and tell them you are military and you should get a great deal.

Had at my table for dinner on a cruise last year an active Air Force person and he paid 50% for their cruise so take advantage of the discounts and like my son I thank u for your service.

Thanks for the intel and support...I'm surprised the military discount was that deep. I've always asked for one and Carnival seemed to have the best, but then again, this was 8+ yrs ago now. I did call RCI directly when I booked this cruise and between being an Alabama resident and military, the Alabama resident discount 'was better' than the military discount, according to the booking agent. Maybe it's a timing thing? I booked only a few weeks out from the cruise--is he booking a year+ out?

We have always cruised on RCL (although the last one was 5 years ago) and decided to try NCL this time. We were very disappointed: our balcony cabin was considerably smaller than a balcony on a similar sized Royal ship, food was very bland, ship layout very choppy (of course it would have to be to fit in all the extra pay restaurants). We may be disappointed when we go back to RCL now too....we'll have to book another and see. Cruising just may not be our thing anymore with all the downward trends.

this forum is priceless when getting ready for a cruise. :)

My wife and I are both Platinum status with RCCL and don't plan on going anywhere else. I did Carnival once and it sucked.

For my money, it's Allure on a 7 night with the premium alcohol package and a few excursions/shows booked months before the cruise is the way to go.

This Nov will be my second 7 night on the Allure and I can't wait.

Very valuable info here... we've only cruised twice - once on Celebrity Solstice (pre kids) where we were in an aqua class balcony cabin ($$) which came with robes and slippers, food was outstanding (though not 24/7 and that was in 2010). Ship was stunning, but ..... OH the boredom ... shows were crap, activities were crap and for 7 days it kinda sucked.., i could've cared less about the bath robes

Fast forward to Nov 2013 with a pesky toddler on Disney Magic ... while the ship was older and not as pretty as Solstice (even after the refurb), water dripping off the ceiling (on the brand new carpet), broken AC and no robes and slippers I enjoyed that cruise much more than the X.

Food was outstanding, service, entertainment ... omg the entertainment .. nobody can touch them in that respect, free sodas and ice cream, free room service 24/7, different restaurant every night ... adult activities and areas are strictly enforced , BUT you pay for all of it ... Disney fares are quite steep in comparison to other cruise lines

All I am trying to say is there is no perfect cruise line.. prolly there isnt perfect anything in life (or maybe i have very high standards ) you just have to enjoy the good

We are going on our first RCCL cruise in four days and hoping we'll have fun, but I do have lower expectations. I would have prolly booked Disney again but we are taking my mom with us and staying two rooms- that would have been crazy $$ and i am not liking their itineraries

RCCL has great itineraries for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As you have more time to cruise you need to look at longer cruises coming out of Florida you have tremendous choices so go find a 12 or 14 day southern ASAP and mix it up on a different ship just make sure if you like certain things like sports or specialty options you pick a ship that fits your style.

Most of your issues have been addressed by RCCL regulars which I am not. MY frist RCCL cruise is coming up but I have been on 3 Princess cruises and one NCL and we are looking forward to compare them.

WIth that said I can say that Princess does offer popcorn in the outdoor movies under the stars and we also got bathrobes with a balcony cabin. NOt bathtub for sure and they charge for late night room service, They have upcharge specality restrauants just like every line these days.