Best way to do beach only....

We just paid for loungers and an umbrella between two of us. The bar there served really good food and of all the places we visited it was the easiest access, literally 20 paces from the taxi to the beach.

We did get shooed away from the loungers to the left of the steps, I think they were reserved for hotel guests, but they just brought more from a pile for the group when we asked.

We just paid for loungers and an umbrella between two of us. The bar there served really good food and of all the places we visited it was the easiest access, literally 20 paces from the taxi to the beach.

We did get shooed away from the loungers to the left of the steps, I think they were reserved for hotel guests, but they just brought more from a pile for the group when we asked.

This is the only island I didn't book an excursion for and was just trying to find a beach (nice one ) to spend the day at with the family. Sounds like this could be it!!! Would you say the water is good for snorkeling? Just trying to keep everyone in mind the kids are 19 18 & 7...it doesn't look like it's too far a ride from the port!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just keep in mind that if you are at La Galion on a Monday - the small restaurant is closed. There are no taxis waiting to take you back but just tell the taxi driver that drops you off what time you want them to come back and they will. We were there end of May and I will admint that I was a little nervous about the taxi thing but it worked out. there were two other couples there also from the ship (rc towels) so if all else failed we would have rode back with them. Le Galion is a very calm beach.

The only snorkelling would be at the far sides of the beaches, so probably not.

Our purpose was like yours, just a nice day with the family and the younger ones had great fun on the jet skis', they were cheap and the man allowed them to stay on them for ages until someone else enquired. Ages varied in our group from 25 to 65 and we all loved the beach. My husband walked back to the ship along the next bay and through the old town and said he felt safe, yet this island was the one I was most worried about!

I have heard there is pollution at great bay. Is that true? Has that been cleared up?

Sent from IPhone

This is only article I could find about the latest testing at Great Bay.

http://www.thedailyherald.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44784:improvement-in-fresh-pond-but-great-salt-pond-faces-challenges-&catid=1:islands-news&Itemid=54

In the photos I posted above you'll see a rocky outcropping in front of Pedro's and from there branching out towards the Club Orient beach there is a reef that many enjoy snorkeling. It's not the most enthralling reef in the Caribbean but people are snorkeling it all the time. Here's a better shot of the reef... people snorkel out to the orange buoy and along the white buoy line.

23s64a0.jpg

Edited by modi
Added a helpful image

Had these pictures of the various toys that are available on Orient Beach that you can be towed around Orient Bay on (if the parasailing isn't your cup of tea). Usually they have a Jet Ski pull you around. People seem to really have fun.

2diexpz.jpg

wistz.jpg

Edited by modi

Had these pictures of the various toys that are available on Orient Beach that you can be towed around Orient Bay on (if the parasailing isn't your cup of tea). Usually they have a Jet Ski pull you around. People seem to really have fun.

2diexpz.jpg

wistz.jpg

Thanks!! How far is orient beach from the port if you recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks!! How far is orient beach from the port if you recall?

Probably 20-30 minutes - ALL depending on traffic. It's no destination that will be unfamiliar to anyone on Sint Maarten/St. Martin.

6 months sure does seem like a long time to wait for water pollution tests to be reported to the public when it says that the testing is to be done on a monthly basis. I could not find any more recent results either though.

6 months sure does seem like a long time to wait for water pollution tests to be reported to the public when it says that the testing is to be done on a monthly basis. I could not find any more recent results either though.

I totally agree with you about monthly testing, but where are these monthly results?

I totally agree with you about monthly testing, but where are these monthly results?

Like I posted I could not locate them either. One ok result in 7 years just isn't good enough for me. I would love to have results per and post rainfall as well.

Like I posted I could not locate them either. One ok result in 7 years just isn't good enough for me. I would love to have results per and post rainfall as well.

Here is a report of water quality testing conducted over July 22, 23, & 24, 2012. http://www.naturefoundationsxm.org/pdfs/Water-Quality-Testing.pdf - They advise in their conclusion that it is a biannual program, which if true means they should be retesting very soon?

Here is a report of water quality testing conducted over July 22, 23, & 24, 2012. http://www.naturefoundationsxm.org/pdfs/Water-Quality-Testing.pdf - They advise in their conclusion that it is a biannual program, which if true means they should be retesting very soon?

Possibly. Unless they mean the testing is done once every two years. Biannual is a confusing word; it can mean once every two years OR twice a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a picture of the Water Trampoline taken about a month ago (June 2014) - This one is on Orient Beach by Waikiki and Kakao Beach spots.

2447508.jpg

Edited by modi
Actually posted in wrong thread and can't delete!