Breakaway question

BandM

Some acquaintances of ours sailed the Breakaway and were a bit disappointed with their cruise. I know each vacation is what each individual makes it so I will not let their experience determine our decision, however they complained about having to pay for things during the cruise they felt should have been for free. We've never cruise Norwegian and would like to see the ship. I'm assuming all shows are free, you only pay for specialty restaurants like other cruise lines....etc. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences, thanks in advance!!!

I don't know what they had to pay for besides specialty restaurants and 1 dinner/show. I just got off the BA this past Sunday and we only paid for 2 specialty restaurants. If someone wants to go on a cruise and not pay for anything extra it is totally doable. Of course there is a charge for drinks but that's expected on ALL cruise lines.

I don't know if they saw the dinner show and thought it was free??? Are there other shows on the ship; comedy, singing?

Yes there was Rock of Ages which was fabulous and Second City comedy show (wasn't my favorite) and Burn the Floor (think Dancing with the Stars). All free

Though I haven't posted often, (I guess I am what would be termed a (gasp!) stalker, I have read tons of posts about this topic here on the boards. I've been on many cruises, on many different cruise lines, and I think it's a bit of a perception issue.

Some cruise lines don't have very many (or any) additional paid entertainment options, and/or fewer paid specialty dining options. This is the more traditional form of cruising and I thing what many people are either used to, or have in the head as "the way it should be".

What NCL has done is provide a very wide variety of quality (in my opinion) entertainment. Some of it is at an additional cost, but they have just as much that is free as any other cruise line save possibly Royal Caribbean. The caveat there is that Royal Caribbean generally costs more as well, so you are paying for it, just in a different way.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoy having all the additional choices and if I want to do something I will, and I don't mind paying extra for it. There are those that feel these items should be free, however they come at a cost, you can either pay a higher cruise fare (at which point you're paying for everything whether you use it or not) or pay a lower fare and just pay additional for those things which interest you. In any case, I prefer the latter, some people don't and for that reason maybe NCL isn't the perfect choice for them.

I think as long as you know and understand the options and additional costs, NCL is great, very friendly fun ships and I'm sure you'll have an awesome time!