Zuiderdam - Port or Starboard?

cruisin'sz

it depends where you are going and how the ship docks in order to determine what side of the ship is best

example-------there are 2 lanes thru the gatun locks at the panama canal---when our ship went through we were in a starboard side cabin and we used the left lane thru-that meant we could watch the ship along side of us go thru the locks--------------if we used the right lane then we couldnt see anything because the other ship would be in the left lane and the view was for the port side pax-----------

We had a starboard side cabin when we sailed the Eastern leg on the Zui in June. If I remember right, in Tortola the pier was on the port side, in St. Thomas the pier was on the port side and at Nassau, the pier was on the...port side. So I guess if you want to be on the side where you see the pier and all the activities, go port. If you dont, go starboard.

Happy sailing!

Chris

We enjoy the port side since we sail past the condos when exiting Ft Lauderdale. Sounds silly but we find this a great start to our cruise. Many are out on their balconies or lawns waving a goodbye to us. Other than that, I think both sides are pretty much the same.

We always choose the port side. It seems to have the best views for what interests us. On the Western Caribbean itinerary, that's the side that faces Cuba when you sail toward GC.

I wasn't aware that the ships always dock on the same side each time they visit the same port. I thought it had to do with which ship was in first, etc. I am not sure that you can always predict what side the ship will dock or go through the Panama Canal. Am I wrong here? I would hate for somebody to secure a cabin under false pretenses and be disappointed.

There may be definite preferences for side on certain cruises that, say, hug the shore line -- then you would want to be Starboard -- but if the ship goes more than a mile or two out to sea there would be hardly any view at all and it would not matter.

I am curious what others think or know about this -- we have most often been on HAL on the starboard side, but I have also done port and we have always had a nice view -- only view I really hate is to be up against the dock in a cabin with a window that it just about or just above the level of the dock -- no privacy.

Alaska might matter a bit more than other areas. But a lot more depends on the route of the ship. Going North Starboard has slightly better views of higher mountains behind the shoreline hills BUT...we noticed the ship (Veendam) was usually a lot closer to the Port shore. Because the Captain was British and prefered to "drive" on the left side? ;) So from our verandah we had really up close looks at the shoreline from our port side cabin. Probably had more to do with where the channel is, water depth, tides and the pilot. Coming south it would be the opposite.

Another consideration though was out western looking view had better sunsets and less early morning light. So view isn't everything. No matter where the cruise is consider the route direction, the sun (or moon if romantic) and weather factors that might make seeing anything moot anwyay.

I wasn't aware that the ships always dock on the same side each time they visit the same port. I thought it had to do with which ship was in first, etc. I am not sure that you can always predict what side the ship will dock or go through the Panama Canal. Am I wrong here? I would hate for somebody to secure a cabin under false pretenses and be disappointed.

There may be definite preferences for side on certain cruises that, say, hug the shore line -- then you would want to be Starboard -- but if the ship goes more than a mile or two out to sea there would be hardly any view at all and it would not matter.

I am curious what others think or know about this -- we have most often been on HAL on the starboard side, but I have also done port and we have always had a nice view -- only view I really hate is to be up against the dock in a cabin with a window that it just about or just above the level of the dock -- no privacy.

You're correct that you can't know in advance which lane your ship will be in for a Panama Canal transit.

Also, there are times a ship will pull straight into the dock and other times they may back in. The same dock, the same ship......sometimes starboard of the ship faces the dock; other times port side of the ship will face the dock.

We've been soooo many times boarding in FLL and while it is more often starboard to the dock, that is not always the case.

It matters to us.....more on some itineraries than on others.

For the most part, we don't care in the Caribbean but we do for some European itineraries and Panama Canal. It can be so hot and humid at the Canal, that it is nice to be able to watch the transit but duck inside the a/c cabin to cool off from time to time.

One of the joys of having a veranda is to be able to view the sights/scenery in the comfort and privacy of your own space.

Lots of people say it matters to them on their Alaska cruises.

I wasn't aware that the ships always dock on the same side each time they visit the same port. I thought it had to do with which ship was in first, etc. I am not sure that you can always predict what side the ship will dock or go through the Panama Canal. Am I wrong here?

you are right -- if my example of my panama canal experience gave the impression that the ship always uses lane 1 and therefore you should book a starboard side cabin im sorry---------its always a flip of the coin---we always book starboard side and i have no clue why i pick it

Alaska might matter a bit more than other areas. QUOTE]

on our alaska cruise we had a starboard cabin (again) and we were closest to the ice when we entered glacier bay--------------wife saw the calfing while lying on the sofa covered with a blanket as i froze out on the verandah taking the pictures

It MAY matter for verandah cabins???

EXCUUUUUUSE MEEE

I am not sure what the "EXCUUUUUUSE MEEE" was intended to mean, but it reads somewhat snarky.

The OP asked a legit question. Someone asked if it really mattered and suggested to walk to the other side.

It does matter to people who book a verandah. They paid more for a cabin that has a verandah, so why shouldn't they enjoy it? If one side has a better view than the other on a particular cruise, I would want to book on the side with a better view.

I don't know if the OP booked a cabin with a verandah, but it is still a legit question. Maybe they don't want to miss a nice coastline. They could be sitting on one side of the ship and not realize there is a better view on the other side in certain areas.

Archived