Question re: cabin categories

Bibble

Please forgive me if this is here somewhere. I tried searching but cannot get any threads narrowed down.

Can anyone tell me if category I1 is a "guaranteed" type of category? When I try booking the Divina with the I1 category, it doesn't give me an option to choose a cabin.

I am familiar with a "guaranteed" type, like on Carnival, but it spells it out that's what it is. I can't find anywhere on the website for MSC where it says it. I tried calling but was on hold forever, and I even tried the online chat, but it timed out and said they were too busy with online chats and I could get a call back in 24-48 hours.

So I turn to you kind folks. I'm hoping that those of you whom have sailed on MSC before can help.

Can someone please confirm this for me?

(It's for the May 17 Divina sailing, if that makes any difference)

Thank you for any guidance!

We were just in a Cat. 11 balcony, #12169, but we were able to choose this cabin. It seems like it should pull up a deck plan with available options. I don't think a Cat. 11 would be included in a guarantee, but who knows?! I think you should just stay on hold until you get a live person, or go to a site like cruisedotcom and see what you can pull up that way.

We were just in a Cat. 11 balcony, #12169, but we were able to choose this cabin. It seems like it should pull up a deck plan with available options. I don't think a Cat. 11 would be included in a guarantee, but who knows?! I think you should just stay on hold until you get a live person, or go to a site like cruisedotcom and see what you can pull up that way.

He is asking for I1 interior 1 not 11.

He is asking for I1 interior 1 not 11.

That's correct - basically the lowest level interior cabin.

Which does make me believe that my assumption is correct and it's a guarantee, but my computer has been quirky all day too with the internet, so I don't want to base my planning on just my "assumption".

Thank you :)

Please forgive me if this is here somewhere. I tried searching but cannot get any threads narrowed down.

Can anyone tell me if category I1 is a "guaranteed" type of category? When I try booking the Divina with the I1 category, it doesn't give me an option to choose a cabin.

I am familiar with a "guaranteed" type, like on Carnival, but it spells it out that's what it is. I can't find anywhere on the website for MSC where it says it. I tried calling but was on hold forever, and I even tried the online chat, but it timed out and said they were too busy with online chats and I could get a call back in 24-48 hours.

So I turn to you kind folks. I'm hoping that those of you whom have sailed on MSC before can help.

Can someone please confirm this for me?

(It's for the May 17 Divina sailing, if that makes any difference)

Thank you for any guidance!

That is not a guaranteed type room unless its sold out.

I know of only two people who have booked inside guarentee cabins on MSC. They were both booked through a US travel agency. Both of these passengers were placed in a balcony cabin when the cabins were finalised. Which I think is about two to three weeks before the cruise.

If you book direct with MSC - and we can only do that in Australia through our local MSC Australia - guarantee cabins do not exist - I have just tried to book one for my mother to accompany us on our next cruise. I was able to book an I1 cabin or I2 cabin and I was given the cabin number straight away.

So, as far as I can tell, in answering your question. I1 does not mean I gty.

Sorry but you are wrong cat 11 is a B3. B1 is the smaller balcony rooms.

yes but we are talking about inside cabins not 11 but the letter I so I am right. Categories have changed 10 through 12 do not exist any more they are balconies and are called B1 B2 B3. Inside has two categories and they are now called I1 and I2.

"I" (pronounced eye) the letter not the number 1 (one).

Edited by Janet&Carl

I have a I1 gty which shows up as G00000 and an I1 assigned cabin that shows up as 5014.

So its just the lowest interior cabin on the ship.

riclop is correct that it can be either a cabin assignment or gty. If you are only seeing gty's when trying to book, that means all cabins in I1 are sold out.

Bret

Yes, it shows as G0000.

Thank you all!

So, as far as I can tell, in answering your question. I1 does not mean I gty.

True, it doesn't mean strictly an Inside gty. If at time of cabin assignment inside cabins are available, they will be given. If they are sold out, then yes, an upgraded cabins are assigned where available. I too have known numerous folks to get upgraded to a balcony. However, I also have seen inside cabins assigned. It's a cheap way to gamble on a balcony! :)

Bret

True, it doesn't mean strictly an Inside gty. If at time of cabin assignment inside cabins are available, they will be given. If they are sold out, then yes, an upgraded cabins are assigned where available. I too have known numerous folks to get upgraded to a balcony. However, I also have seen inside cabins assigned. It's a cheap way to gamble on a balcony! :)

Bret

Thank you all so much for your help!

I was able to convince my family to book the cruise :)

When I got through on the phone today, I was indeed told that I'm booking a guarantee, and that we will be assigned cabins at a later date, and that we do have a chance to get a higher category upon assignment.

Today the Oceanview cabin was the same price as interior, so even though we were willing to take interior, we just boosted our gamble up a level! Would LOVE balcony, but would be perfectly happy with a window.

First time on MSC, only doing a 2-nighter to try it out.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Thank you all so much for your help!

I was able to convince my family to book the cruise :)

First time on MSC, only doing a 2-nighter to try it out.

You're welcome! I'm guessing you'll be on the May 17th sailing? So am I. I did also purchase the Classic drink package for $88 so it truly can be an all-inclusive weekend getaway.

If he's still onboard, make sure you go visit George the bartender from Jamaica. He's usually in the Golden Jazz Bar after 4pm. Ask him about a "Steel Bottom"....it's a drink he turned me onto in Jamaica.

Bret

• 4 weeks later...
You're welcome! I'm guessing you'll be on the May 17th sailing? So am I. I did also purchase the Classic drink package for $88 so it truly can be an all-inclusive weekend getaway.

If he's still onboard, make sure you go visit George the bartender from Jamaica. He's usually in the Golden Jazz Bar after 4pm. Ask him about a "Steel Bottom"....it's a drink he turned me onto in Jamaica.

Bret

Is the drink package on MSC like on Carnival - that all adults in the cabin have to purchase it?

That's correct - basically the lowest level interior cabin.

Which does make me believe that my assumption is correct and it's a guarantee, but my computer has been quirky all day too with the internet, so I don't want to base my planning on just my "assumption".

Thank you :)

No, it's not a GTY. I booked an I1 and I got to pick my cabin. You have to go to the next screen to pick your cabin.

No, it's not a GTY. I booked an I1 and I got to pick my cabin. You have to go to the next screen to pick your cabin.

It turns out that although the category isn't a guarantee, the only ones available were guarantee.

Is the drink package on MSC like on Carnival - that all adults in the cabin have to purchase it?

Even worse....not only does everyone in your cabin have to purchase it, anyone you are cross-referenced with for dinner has to as well. Well, if you want to sit at the same table that is.

Bret

Even worse....not only does everyone in your cabin have to purchase it, anyone you are cross-referenced with for dinner has to as well. Well, if you want to sit at the same table that is.

Bret

Oh man!!! and here I thought, better off for me as DH and I are booked in separate cabins due to no triple occupancy at time of booking (daughter is with him). BUT, now , my parents are linked to us... no way would they pay it.

Okay, maybe I"ll just stick with beer vouchers :)