Hotels In Fll - which ones do we need to avoid

I read somewhere that we should avoid hotels in a certain area and now i cant find it. can someone please tell me what are bad hotels or what places have people had bad experiences at.

thanks in advance

The area to AVOID is the State Road 84 area.

The BEST area for cruisers is SE 17th Street, particularly those without rental cars as it's very close to both the airport and Port Everglades. It's a safe area and there are many many restaurants, shops, and everything else you could want within easy walking distance of all of the hotels.

Avoid the Hard ROck hotel if smoking is of any concern. There non-smoking rooms have had smoking in them and the rooms smell of that. We had to change rooms until we got a room that was 1/2 decent. The front desk staff have no personality.

Not sure if your post is regarding Ft Lauderdale or not. If so, we got a really nice room at Hyatt Pier 66. We bidded on it on Priceline. We asked for a 4 star hotel in that area, and bid $80, and we got it! They have a revolving cocktail lounge at the top that has a beautiful night view. That was Jan 2004, so it's been awhile back.

The Best Western Marina. It is across the street from the port. I have not stayed here but it is across the street from the Marriott which is where I stayed. The outside looked bad enough that would keep me away plus I have not heard anything good about this place.

we also bid on priceline for our 1 nite pre cruise stay in 11/03-we got the doubletree oceanfront-4* and only $75 for the nite. It was great. My brother bid @ a different time than us and he received the yankee clipper,and he was very pleased.Hope this helps:)

Someone said: "The Best Western Marina. It is across the street from the port. I have not stayed here but it is across the street from the Marriott which is where I stayed. The outside looked bad enough that would keep me away plus I have not heard anything good about this place."

...Although I don't like it when someone gives an opinion about a place they have never been...I HAVE been to this hotel (less than 1 month ago), and I have to agree that it should be avoided. It was convenient with the free shuttle service from the airport and then to the ship the next day. The view of the port was also pretty neat...but the hotel itself was really a dump. I actually posted to the hotels area of this board, this is what I wrote:

A while back, I was asking opinions on the above mentioned hotel. All signs pointed to "stay away"...of course i didn't listen. I stayed there last week...i wish I would have listened.

I will say that it was convenient shuttle service and location...but aside from that...what a dive.

The lobby area is somewhat nice, but that is it. The rooms are ridiculously old, worn, mismatched. The beds sag terribly, there were tiny little ants EVERYWHERE, and there was about a 3/4 inch gap beneath the door.

The restaurant food wasn't "terrible", but the chicken was nothing special, the vegetables look amazingly what I make at home when I open the frozen Green Giant or Bird's Eye bag of california mix. They give a coupon for 10% off at the desk at check-in, and the waitress seemed to have no idea where it came from.

They give you a voucher for a free express breakfast. The express breakfast consited of a danish (clearly cut from a store bought danish) or muffin, and...I'm serious about this, I don't know if I have a picture to prove it, but I am complete honest when I say that the orange juice was in a shot glass...i collect shot glasses (well, I used to until I got married), so I know a shot glass...and that is the amount of orange juice they gave...

It was neat to open the window and see the cruise ship there...but I wish I had taken the advice from this board and not stayed there.

Archived