Can't decide which cruise...

MaiTaiMary

I'm not sure if I'm asking for advice... or just jotting my thoughts down. ;) Thanks for letting me figure things out here!

My situation:

Hubby and I have been on several cruises in the past 10 years. This fall we would like to take our kids. We are a family of 5.

We've been to the West coast of Mexico sooooo many times. Both on cruises and other vacations. I enjoy (some of) these ports, but really is nothing special or exciting for us. I want to go to the Carribean or Carribean side of Mexico SO badly!!

Problem is we have to pay for airfare if we do a cruise out of anywhere but the West Coast. Cruises out of here are extremely limited now! :( Years ago we had so many more choices. I was so disappointed to learn this.

I'm just not sure if we can afford to add on airfare to a cruise. I thought maybe a cruise out of Galveston would be cheaper, but it's not. Airfare is over $400 per person. So at least $2,000 added on to the cruise price. :( Driving isn't an option.

So we decided to look at the Miracle out of Los Angeles. Ports are nothing exciting for us (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta) so we would just be doing for the cruise experience. Now I'm looking at the Miracle and it just doesn't seem nearly as nice as the Magic (out of Galveston.)

The Magic has awesome water slides! My kids would also love the sky walk area. Also, I just learned that the Miracle doesn't have Guy's burgers! Ahh!! I was so looking forward to that.

So with the ship differences and the ports (Belize, Hondurus, Cozumel), the Magic is SO much more appealing to me. I don't know if we should just go on the Miracle and have a good time. Or just figure out a way to do the Magic and have a WONDERFUL time! :D My hubby really wants a balcony cabin, but I'm definitely willing to have an inside. It still doesn't make up for a $2K difference, though. I don't want to go broke just for a family cruise, yet this will be in the first "real" vacation we've had as a family. My kids will be 7, 8, and 10 years old. :)

*sigh* Ahhhh... first world problems!!!! LOL!!! :D

We loved the Magic and would sail on it again in a heart beat. I wish we could get $400 flights, we are looking at $500 each for our December cruise, living in Michigan we don't have much choice, I am not one that can do long road trips so flying is always part of our cruise cost.

The Magic does not have a Guy's Burger.

Thank you! I didn't realize that. Not a deal breaker, but I'm just trying to look at the big picture and compare all of the pros & cons. I was on the Carnival site trying to research ships and it's so confusing! I thought I was on the "Magic" ship, but I guess I was kicked back to just general info about Carnival.

Does the Magic have a Serenity area?

We have 3 children also and cannot afford to fly anywhere. We live in Ohio and drive. We are driving to new Orleans in may to get on the Dream. It will take us approx 15 hours not including stops. We've driven to Tampa and Orlando and Pensacola with our kids. We've always drove at night but we are going to drive during the day and stay overnight about halfway through this time. If you can manage to fly..I say go for it. Spend a little less on the room and the excursions. The ports are beautiful and so much fun for the kids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

You may also want to price airfare to Florida. Check the low cost carriers like Southwest and Jet Blue (not sure if they do those routes but you get the idea). You will have many more ship choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you! I didn't realize that. Not a deal breaker, but I'm just trying to look at the big picture and compare all of the pros & cons. I was on the Carnival site trying to research ships and it's so confusing! I thought I was on the "Magic" ship, but I guess I was kicked back to just general info about Carnival.

Yes, the Magic has serenity. The entrance to it is next to the waterslide area, just before going up the added tower to the slide entrances on deck 15. It's a large serenity area that wraps around the front of the ship, and has hot tubs. It's not as large as the Dream's, but it's still a good size.

We did the Magic and LOVED it! Another thing to consider about cruising out of Galveston is that you have to fly into Houston and Galveston is a good drive from there. So transportation can be costly from airport to the port. We ended up doing the Carnival Shuttle. Don't know when you are cruising, but have you considered an Alaska out of Seattle. May be cheaper airfare although cruises tend to be more.

What time frame are you thinking about? Royal Caribbean also sails out of Galveston, TX. The Navigator of the Seas will be there at least until April 2015 with the same itineraries as the Magic.

From the Royal Caribbean website, after you select the date you want, you can do a dummy booking for the air fare as well as the cruise to see what it would cost.

Edited by JimAOk1945

You may want to check out this very useful spreadsheet Fedic created.

Carnival ships 01-2014.xls

I really feel your frustration over "what I want" and "what I can afford.

For me "what I can afford always wins". If it puts me in a monetary bind when I return it would ruin part of trip for me.

I know it's not a fun thought but if it were me and I was so very anxious to go to the Caribbean I would rather put the trip off until I have saved enough $ to do the trip I really wanted. Prbably not what you want to hear but just a thought

Definitely consider going to Florida as there are so many more options (and often therefore cheaper cruise fares). I just looked at airfare on Southwest, and flights from SAN to FLL could be obtained for $400 as well (obviously depending on dates of travel - I picked a Friday to Sunday in August.

We are a family of six so I know your pain in finding affordable airfare. We have also enjoyed the ocean view adjoining cabins as we could open the door between the rooms. So much more space for a small extra charge. Note that we have only cruised ships in the Conquest class.

My family and I did a Euro cruise last summer. It was supposed to be just me and the youngest DS. (what I could afford). Then Second oldest wanted to come ... couldn't exactly say no ... then one more wanted to come ... so the cruise went from what I could afford to once in a lifetime.

I am still paying a year later but have to say for us it was worth every cent. It really opened up my son's eyes to the great big world out there. Now one wants to teach in Europe, another wants to become a pilot and the one that "hates history" and is "bored looking at buildings" cannot wait to get back to Barcelona.

My point? Sometimes it's worth it to stretch the budget a bit and do something outside the box.

My family and I did a Euro cruise last summer. It was supposed to be just me and the youngest DS. (what I could afford). Then Second oldest wanted to come ... couldn't exactly say no ... then one more wanted to come ... so the cruise went from what I could afford to once in a lifetime.

I am still paying a year later but have to say for us it was worth every cent. It really opened up my son's eyes to the great big world out there. Now one wants to teach in Europe, another wants to become a pilot and the one that "hates history" and is "bored looking at buildings" cannot wait to get back to Barcelona.

My point? Sometimes it's worth it to stretch the budget a bit and do something outside the box.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but would you mind sharing a few details about your Europe cruise - planning, expenses, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Also I am confused when you say you were going on a cruise with one kid which is all you could afford and are still paying for it, but you have two more cruises lined up for this year. How did you manage that?!! We just returned from a cruise and will probably not go on another for a year! :-(

Edited by porcupyn
add follow up question

You are in San Diego, correct? I am also in San Diego and Southwest just started direct flights into New Orleans. You might want to check the cruise options out of there. We have had good luck with flight prices from Southwest for lots of different destinations. The other thing is check all of the different options out of Florida. Sometimes it's cheaper to fly there than Galvastan because there are so many more flights and more options.

The Dream is repositioning to New Orleans this month. It is the sister ship of the Magic, although there are considerable differences. The Dream will be going to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel also. I absolutely loved NOLA when we cruised the Elation a couple summers ago. Can't wait to go back in May! Southwest is certainly one of the most affordable airlines with no luggage fees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Sorry to hijack this thread, but would you mind sharing a few details about your Europe cruise - planning, expenses, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Also I am confused when you say you were going on a cruise with one kid which is all you could afford and are still paying for it, but you have two more cruises lined up for this year. How did you manage that?!! We just returned from a cruise and will probably not go on another for a year! :-(

I don't mind if others don't mind ;)

I am still paying for the Euro cruise. This May cruise wasn't bad because my 19 year old paid his own way (it's his GF's graduation cruise). The one in December is booked but we'll see if it actually happens - that was the kids sail free one. So I will pay only for 2, the kids (young adults) are paying their own.

why don't you just email me at ambiesen@yahoo.com and I can tell you whatever you would like to know (if I know!)

You may also want to price airfare to Florida. Check the low cost carriers like Southwest and Jet Blue (not sure if they do those routes but you get the idea). You will have many more ship choices.

It's even more expensive and I would have to add on a hotel cost since we wouldn't be able to arrive before 5:00p. :(

Yes, the Magic has serenity. The entrance to it is next to the waterslide area, just before going up the added tower to the slide entrances on deck 15. It's a large serenity area that wraps around the front of the ship, and has hot tubs. It's not as large as the Dream's, but it's still a good size.

Is it nice?? I envision myself spending most of my sea days here reading and relaxing! :D

We did the Magic and LOVED it! Another thing to consider about cruising out of Galveston is that you have to fly into Houston and Galveston is a good drive from there. So transportation can be costly from airport to the port. We ended up doing the Carnival Shuttle. Don't know when you are cruising, but have you considered an Alaska out of Seattle. May be cheaper airfare although cruises tend to be more.

how much is the Carnival Shuttle from the Houston airport?

Nah, not interested in Alaska. Especially with the kids. We want hot weather and beaches! :D

I really feel your frustration over "what I want" and "what I can afford.

For me "what I can afford always wins". If it puts me in a monetary bind when I return it would ruin part of trip for me.

I know it's not a fun thought but if it were me and I was so very anxious to go to the Caribbean I would rather put the trip off until I have saved enough $ to do the trip I really wanted. Prbably not what you want to hear but just a thought

No "right" or "wrong" answer. :) I'm just trying to weigh both the pros and cons. I appreciate your input! :D

You are in San Diego, correct? I am also in San Diego and Southwest just started direct flights into New Orleans. You might want to check the cruise options out of there. We have had good luck with flight prices from Southwest for lots of different destinations. The other thing is check all of the different options out of Florida. Sometimes it's cheaper to fly there than Galvastan because there are so many more flights and more options.

I checked flying into Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Tampa. All were more expensive, even on Southwest or Jet Blue. I didn't think of New Orleans. I'll try that. Thanks! :)