Can't decide which cruise...

MaiTaiMary

Allegiant Airlines offers really reasonable flights. I fly them all the time. They fly into St Petersburg/Clearwater or Orlando/Sanford. That puts you super close to Tampa & Port Canaveral. Just an option ;)

I second not going to Galveston just because of the logistics getting from airport to port with 3 kids and a budget. If you're set on it though, check out https://www.cooltoursgalveston.com/ They have THE best customer service and are very reasonably priced.

If it were me trying to plan, I would do a spreadsheet with all the different costs for each port. If you can be flexible with your time off, then you can find some really good deals.

BTW, I have 4 sisters so my family never flew for vacations when I was younger. We drove from Pt. Mugu to Houston and then Houston to Charleston, SC one summer. Now THAT was a long drive! LOL

Oh, also, check out trains. Every once in a while, Amtrak has a special.

Edited to add: The kids will absolutely love Magic. Especially the water area.

Edited by grumpyjr88

We have the same port problems living in Phoenix. We went on the magic in 2012 out of galveston and it was a great trip.

A couple things to consider:

No guys burger joint on the magic, which does suck but the up side is the red frog pub on the magic serves food which is delicious! It cost a couple of dollars but its worth it in my opinion.

Someone metioned the logistics regarding getting to the port from the airport. It costs a group of 4 of us 110 dollars to get from airport to the port. We did chose a private transport company that had a suburban that was sitting at the airport so we'd be comfortable. The drive was like an hour since traffic in houston sucks..

You can try and fly into houston on the same day of the cruise which might help save on hotel costs, but that can be risky!

I believe the magic is scheduled to get 2.0 upgrades which will include the guys burger joint, you may want to hold off on sailing the magic until the upgrades are completed. I'm sure someone on here can tell you when the its scheduled for dry dock.

I second not going to Galveston just because of the logistics getting from airport to port with 3 kids and a budget. If you're set on it though, check out https://www.cooltoursgalveston.com/ They have THE best customer service and are very reasonably priced.

If it were me trying to plan, I would do a spreadsheet with all the different costs for each port. If you can be flexible with your time off, then you can find some really good deals.

Definitely not set on ANYTHING. :D Just trying to price things out now. We really want to cruise in Sept/Oct/Nov 2014, but I'm just having a difficult time getting exciting about a west coast Mexico cruise and a ship that doesn't have a lot of the "bells and whistles." I'm very much open to anything now!

Yes, we're flexible with the time off. I sure as heck can't find any "deals", though. I can't find airfare for 5 of us from San Diego for anything less than $2K. :( Galveston, New Orleans, or any of the Florida cities. Any tips on finding deals??

Again, if we sail out of Florida we need to add on a price of a hotel and a few more meals. (But we don't need The Four Seasons ;) )

Yes, we're flexible with the time off. I sure as heck can't find any "deals", though. I can't find airfare for 5 of us from San Diego for anything less than $2K. :( Galveston, New Orleans, or any of the Florida cities. Any tips on finding deals??

Again, if we sail out of Florida we need to add on a price of a hotel and a few more meals. (But we don't need The Four Seasons ;) )

I find the best flight deals about 3 months out from your sail date. So if you can wait, (your still about 5-6 months out) I think you will find better rates later on.

Also, if by some chance you select Miami, try the Holiday Inn Port of Miami as a hotel. They had nice rates when we were there ($120/ night) and was real nice and right next to the port. Still needed a cab ride, but it was under $10.

Edited by HawkIVette

Dont sail in Sept. That is our high hurricane time here.

Sep/Oct/Nov are all hurricane season but also have the best prices for cruising. We've taken several in those months with no problems.

MaiTaiMary, have you tried priceline before? I always wait to buy my airline tickets 3 - 4 weeks out. It makes my family nervous but I always find great last minute prices.

ack!! Anxiety attack!!!! LOL!! :D

Don't do just Priceline (Ack, too). Do Kayak. It searches all the sites. One and done. Except SouthWest. You have to search their site itself.

Do a search on Kayak, and then set an email alert for it. About 2-3 months out. Book it.

Edited by HawkIVette

Sep/Oct/Nov are all hurricane season but also have the best prices for cruising. We've taken several in those months with no problems.

MaiTaiMary, have you tried priceline before? I always wait to buy my airline tickets 3 - 4 weeks out. It makes my family nervous but I always find great last minute prices.

I am local to Galveston (lived by the Gulf all my life not DC) and you couldn't pay me to cruise in Sept. The other months I would. It is rare for us to get a hurricane threat in the other months.

Edited by MichelleChell

Don't do just Priceline (Ack, too). Do Kayak. It searches all the sites. One and done. Except SouthWest. You have to search their site itself.

Do a search on Kayak, and then set an email alert for it. About 2-3 months out. Book it.

Never heard of it. I'll look into it. Thanks!

What ever happened to Travel Agents?!? :D It's this what they're supposed to do?!

I am local to Galveston (lived by the Gulf all my life not DC) and you couldn't pay me to cruise in Sept. The other months I would. It is rare for us to get a hurricane threat in the other months.

I'm from Houston. My entire family lives in Texas and lake Charles, la. I know all about hurricanes. :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

Never heard of it. I'll look into it. Thanks!

What ever happened to Travel Agents?!? :D It's this what they're supposed to do?!

They can find the best deals available but I don't think they can place bids on priceline for you.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

I did a quick check for you on http://www.kayak.com and American has a red eye flight that is nonstop to Miami (flight 1042). This would save on the hotel as you would sleep on the plane and arrive early am on the day of boarding. Early October fares were around $385.

Just keep checking your options as well as cruise fares that may be lower that time of year.

Consider using LAX.

I don't think it will save you much as I'm not sure you're going to get under $350 regardless of what you do but it does offer more options and flexibility. LAX to Miami is a common flight and that opens up a lot more options for ships (Breeze, with Guy's) and a better cruise.

I also have 3 children and we always drive (16 hours or so) as there's no way I'd want to pay for us all to fly. We too did Barcelona this past summer using FF miles and ended up getting money for a cancelled flight. :D

Also, here's a good site to search airfare. It doesn't have some low cost carriers but it has most of them.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

I'm not sure if I'm asking for advice... or just jotting my thoughts down. ;) Thanks for letting me figure things out here!

Also, I just learned that the Miracle doesn't have Guy's burgers! Ahh!! I was so looking forward to that.

So with the ship differences and the ports (Belize, Hondurus, Cozumel), the Magic is SO much more appealing to me. I don't know if we should just go on the Miracle and have a good time. Or just figure out a way to do the Magic and have a WONDERFUL time! :D My hubby really wants a balcony cabin, but I'm definitely willing to have an inside. It still doesn't make up for a $2K difference, though. I don't want to go broke just for a family cruise, yet this will be in the first "real" vacation we've had as a family. My kids will be 7, 8, and 10 years old. :)

*sigh* Ahhhh... first world problems!!!! LOL!!! :D

I cannot answer your entire dilemma however if you let the availability of a hamburger influence your choice we really cannot help you. I mean that with the utmost sincerity. The most memorable cruise we ever had was on the Miracle. Different itinerary.

FYI - a good credit card with travel benefits can go a long way to alleviate airfare costs. Our flight to FLL costs us $40 this past Dec and our flights in Nov this year cost less than $3 using points we earned with everyday purchases. Keep in mind - every day purchases paid as they come in each month. ;) I know that this does not help with cost right now but something to look at for the future. :p