Breakaway question

ALS1214

Port Canaveral is approximately 1 hours south of Orlando. There are numerous excursions to the parks offered through the ship, as well as many DIY options. You might want to check out the Florida board in the Ports of Call area, as this is an often-discussed topic. You'll find plenty of great info there, along with first-hand reviews of the various excursions and options.

:)

I haven't done what you're proposing, but I have been to Disney more times than I can even count. Personally, I wouldn't do it, unless you have a Disney annual pass. It's $125pp to get in the door. You have to get there. Get back. Wait in lines once there. I know that I would be too much of a wreck to enjoy my time at Disney. What if there is a traffic accident on the highway? Too many variables for my comfort zone. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We drove down to Downtown Disney on our own when the BA stopped at Port Canaveral in December. It took us about 1hr15min each way. I would not bother paying the cost of an entrance to the park for the day. Unless this has changed, the BA gets to the port at about 12pm and then leaves at 8pm. By the time we picked up the car, even rushing off the ship as soon as they gave the all clear, we did not hit the road until about 1pm because we had to wait on line at the rental place. Then we left downtown Disney at 6pm to make sure we could drop off the car and take a taxi back to the ship by 7:30pm (most rental places there will let you drop off after business hours but then the shuttle won't be operating and you're on your own). You could book the excursion through NCL but I didn't think the cost was worth it at the time. We had fun and enjoyed a great lunch at Ragland Road, but 4hrs is NOT enough for me to spend in any of the parks. Even with the NCL guarantee transfers, I would be too stressed to enjoy myself, plus I'd be on a line all day. I feel like Disney World is really a place you don't want to run in and out of that way. My personal opinion of course, YMMV...

Edit: ship leaves PC at 9pm! Sorry about that! Doesn't change anything in my experience, we wanted to avoid any traffic jams, which was why we aimed for 7:30pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruisebear84

I definitely would not do it~~flew to Disney for a week~~that was plenty of time but not one day~~would be thinking if I was going to make the ship all day! Happy sailing!:) Doing the Gem for 11-days in October to five islands~~that is a treat for me!

We are Disney addicts so I found it hard not to take a quick trip to Disney when we were on the Breakaway in December. But, I wouldn't recommend it if you were planning to visit the parks. There just isn't enough time. We took the bus and visited the MK hotels to see the Christmas decorations. We then ate at Kona Cafe in the Polynesian and bought some chocolate to take home in the Contemporary. It was enough to satisfy my Disney addiction since we had just been there in October. But, I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. It is just way to costly for the amount of time you are getting in a park.

Hi,

We have done the FL-private island-Nassau route at least 8 times on NCL.

NCL does offer trips to Disney.

I have not done these trips. I have talked to people that have and to ones that have rented cars to do it. Some have been disappointed because there is not enough time. Some were disappointed because of the timing of the trip they did not get to see -- the princess' show or other shows.

We have talked to others that were thrilled with the trip.

If the ship is docked so that our balcony overlooks the dock..we will sit on the balcony and watch the families rushing out for the excursion out to Disney. In the evening we sit out when the buses return and watch the bedraggled parents carrying or leading tired, cranky children back to the ship and being very thankful we are not them. LOL

It is truly a personal decision.

There is lots more to do -- if you want busy - go to Coco Beach (we have never been) . Go to the space center. Take an air boat trip.

We usually have breakfast, enjoy our balcony, have lunch and then go to Jetty Park for a couple of hours. We return to the ship, shower and relax in the room or strolling around the ship and have a nice dinner.

I have been following the plans for Port Canaveral and can hardly wait for the finished product. There will be lots to do very near the port.

Enjoy your cruise what ever you decide.

We are doing an 8 night cruise on the Gem for May of next year and the reason we picked that over the 7 night Gem cruise with the same intinerary, is because on the 8 night cruise, the port of call is longer and we will have more time at Disney. Docking at 7:00 am and leaving at 9:30 pm. That should give us at least 9 hours in the Magic Kingdom. We want to see the new Fantasy Land and have lunch in the beauty and the beast castle. We are Disneyholics!:D