Cruise directors

golfer1903

Same with us about CDs, doesn't really matter... Though we have interacted with the entertainment staff a lot on the various cruises. Some are just ok, some are really spectacular. So, it is those young folks that really shine that make the cruises more enjoyable.

As a singer, and entertainer, the CD DOES make a difference to me, but I realize that I'm absolutely in the minority. For most folks there won't be a hill of beans difference between one, and the other. I've enjoyed talking, and working with all the Carnival CD's, except one. That one, I absolutely WILL NOT sail with again. :mad:

"SKY"

Until I had a great CD, I didn't think they made a difference either. I can't remember her name, female on my Paradise cruise. She was everywhere and so funny. I went out of my way to attend events that I knew she would be hosting.

The very first CD we had was John Heald. I loved him and we still follow him on facebook, but I don't cruise based on the CD since I usually book before the schedule is out. We have also had Eli Sharpley and Goose, both were very good and even though they were not around much except at shows and the officer meet and greet they did make our cruises memorable. You have to realize that they have many responsibilities on the cruise and unless you make the effort to introduce yourself to them, they cannot possibly know every passenger or their needs.

As a singer, and entertainer, the CD DOES make a difference to me, but I realize that I'm absolutely in the minority. For most folks there won't be a hill of beans difference between one, and the other. I've enjoyed talking, and working with all the Carnival CD's, except one. That one, I absolutely WILL NOT sail with again. :mad:

"SKY"

John Heald ?

I used to think there wasn't a difference one way or another. After this cruise I just got off of on Sunday, I do now think there is a difference. That week, all of the cruise directors were at a meeting so all of the ships had "subs." I believe they were all junior cruise directors. Well, We actually enjoyed having our young cruise director named Emerson. (I believe that's his name anyways.). According to the comedian during the week, he is the first African-American cruise director for Carnival. Well, he did an outstanding! I know all of them have their "thing" that sort of makes them known for that one thing they do, but he would sing in the mornings. Some may not like that but I thought it was cute. He actually opened for one of the comedians in the grand ballroom. You would never know he wasn't a comedian himself. He was hilarious. He was always happy and always had a smile on his space and really nice and down-to-earth. We finally got to meet him at invocation and realized he is from the same small town that I am from in Georgia. I should have known that this was why he was such a great guy. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For me, CDs have never made a difference one way or another. I guess I just don't interact with them much.

You just don't realize how much a good CD does to impact your cruise. The good CD's have happy smiling people working for them that have a real desire to please the passengers. They also are involved with alternate events in case a ship cannot stop at a port. They make sure the entertainment staff is prepared and that the schecule of events goes on as planned. Some even have their own shows in the theater. Malcolm Burn for example has his Silent Film Skit and it is fantastic.

If you had a good cruise and everything went as planned and lots of smiles chances are you had a very good CD. If everything was slightly off and the staff was grunpy, chances are you had a new or poor CD.

There is a lot more that the CD does but what I mentioned are the most important imo.

Well, We actually enjoyed having our young cruise director named Emerson. (I believe that's his name anyways.). According to the comedian during the week, he is the first African-American cruise director for Carnival.

Actually, Malcolm Burn is an African American CD that has been around for awhile. He is pretty good too, imho. :D

HA! Nope. MALCOLM BURN!

WOW, I am shocked Sky. We think Malcolm is one of the best CD's. We saw him on deck almost every day talking to guests and we loved his Silent Film Skit.The staff seemed to be haveing a good time as well.

I'm sure you have valid reasons behind your opinion though.

Semper Fi Marine,

Mike.

WOW, I am shocked Sky. We think Malcolm is one of the best CD's. We saw him on deck almost every day talking to guests and we loved his Silent Film Skit.The staff seemed to be haveing a good time as well.

I'm sure you have valid reasons behind your opinion though.

Semper Fi Marine,

Mike.

Well, perhaps I should give him another chance? When I sailed with him, he was busy chasing the women aboard, and didn't do much else. There was no "Showcase of Stars" show, and when I ask him about it, he told me that he was just too busy to arrange that, and I'd just have to do without it? His whole staff on that cruise was exactly like him, and interested in doing NOTHING that they didn't absolutely have to do. It was maddening! There was no "Silent Film Skit", or any other extra entertainment. It's been a number of years since that cruise, so maybe he's straightened out. Just made me want to ask him "What's Your Major Malfunction, Sh** Bird?" :D

Semper Fi Brother

"SKY"

We do NOT cruise for the CD....

Honestly, we don't even know who they are, until we board the ship.

As long as they are not annoying, it's OK.

If they are making announcements every 15 minutes, yeah, we're going to be annoyed.