Cunard 2014 reversal on "Dumbing Down"?

Leucothea

"Tonight's Dress Code" when leaving NYC from the Daily Programmes of

November 27, 2012, "Elegant Casual: Ladies - dress, skirt or trousers. No jeans. Gentlemen - Jacket, no tie required. No jeans." and

July 6, 2013, "Informal: Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen. Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies."

Yes, thanks, pmb1, that's the way I remember the dress code.

Just being pedantic, I suppose, but to me there is a difference between "no tie" (as was previously mentioned) and "no tie required". IMHO, "tie optional for gentlemen" is an improvement in the wording.

The phrase "stylish separates or equivalent for ladies" makes me chuckle...what's the alternative to stylish separates - non-stylish separates? If you wear separates Ladies, better make sure they're stylish separates or you won't meet the dress code:D

Yes, thanks, pmb1, that's the way I remember the dress code.

Just being pedantic, I suppose, but to me there is a difference between "no tie" (as was previously mentioned) and "no tie required". IMHO, "tie optional for gentlemen" is an improvement in the wording.

The phrase "stylish separates or equivalent for ladies" makes me chuckle...what's the alternative to stylish separates - non-stylish separates? If you wear separates Ladies, better make sure they're stylish separates or you won't meet the dress code:D

Is it a sign of the times that people need to be told just what types of clothes to wear? They forgot to mention "no ball caps on men".:eek::D

I suppose that means that they don't want to see Charro. :D

I suppose that means that they don't want to see Charro. :D

LOL! You've reminded me of a woman I saw one night on board QM2 who was dressed in half a blouse and a micro mini-skirt with big 'blonde' hair - not a really good look for a woman on the other side of 50:eek: Come to think of it, maybe she was Charro herself!:D Anyway, she sure walked like she thought her separates were very stylish indeed! :D

LOL! You've reminded me of a woman I saw one night on board QM2 who was dressed in half a blouse and a micro mini-skirt with big 'blonde' hair - not a really good look for a woman on the other side of 50:eek: Come to think of it, maybe she was Charro herself!:D Anyway, she sure walked like she thought her separates were very stylish indeed! :D

You are forgetting one VITAL fact. Stylish is in the mind of the wearer. Sadly. :D

Thanks for the tip. I see, now that you have mentioned it, that it is an option. I love my Chiro here at home so I am happy to see that service.

Premium brands are always struggling. What they sell is image and ambiance and service; intangibles. Their marketing strategy reflects that.

The human element, that must deliver on the hype, has all the obstacles of reality to overcome. The service isn't air brushed in the real world, but then neither are we passengers.

I wish we were. The people in the brochure look so good... Wished we all looked so good too!

We have seen the same models in other brochures so, clearly, there are only four or five people in the world who look like that. :-)

We've been aboard with the kids a few times - 13, I think - and rarely have we been in nay way disappointed with the trip (unless it was "too short"). Not always "perfect", no. But special, always. The "experience" is more than a waiter or a drink or a restaurant or whatever. (Which is - I suspect - why "we" complain here when ANYTHING is amiss but still race to make our bookings!)

And you are taking her on what is really HER trip, a crossing full of people interested in being at sea aboard her. Just her and the ocean. No stops. No destinations.

I suspect that, by the time you reach SH, you'll want to stay aboard for the return to NY. Enjoy!

We have been served afternoon tea on deck many times on a QM2

cruise - never on a crossing though. Also - yoga classes used to be given in the gym in the past.

Reminds me of the memory of watching dancers try not to fly off the stage during one ROUGH crossing, let along hit their marks. It would have been funny except we were so worried they would hurt themselves.

And, picturing a bunch of yoga folks, wearing their leotards and rolling around on deck while TRYING to maintain balance, "wa" and "chi" is pretty darned funny. "Here, Mrs. Vasquez, try to get up out of the scuppers. There you go, dear. Try to catch Mr. Wood as he rolls past, will you please?"