VISA in Turkey

RowenaMae

My girlfriend and I are sailing on the Celebrity Reflection on May 23rd. She is from Canada and I am from US. I heard that we may need Visa's for Turkey? Can anyone let me know about this. I did have my agent contact the cruise line but the answer seemed very vague. Thanks for the help

If you are just a day visitor off the ship, I don't believe a visa is necessary. However, if you fly into the country, or spend the night in a hotel you will need a visa.

You can get a visa at the airport upon arrival, or get it online. Cost is $20.

If Istanbul is a port of call (ie you are "in transit") you do not need a visa. But if it is your embarkation port I think you do.

Celebrity has a PDF doc with info here

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/tabLanding.do?pagename=before_you_go_gateway&tab=before_you_go_getting_ready#before_you_go_getting_ready/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/chickletpanel.do%3Fpagename=before_you_go_getting_ready

If you are just a day visitor off the ship, I don't believe a visa is necessary. However, if you fly into the country, or spend the night in a hotel you will need a visa.

You can get a visa at the airport upon arrival, or get it online. Cost is $20.

Turkish Visas are available on the internet. They will no longer be available at the airport. Cost for Canadians is $60 USD.

We asked Turkish authorities similar questions when it was published that when flying in, Visas will no longer be issued at airport.

------------------------------------------------------------

OUR QUESTION....

Hello. I will be entering Turkey (Istanbul) by cruise ship, and remaining around city of Istanbul. I will be disembarking the ship and flying from Istanbul probably 2 days later. What period of time can I stay in Turkey before the permit expires. Thank You, XXXXXXX

THE ANSWER....

Dear XXXXXXXXXX,

Passengers of cruise ships are allowed to enter and stay overnight in the port cities of Turkey upon permission given by local border police authorities. These passengers are not required to obtain an entry visa. However, if you wish to tour beyond your respective port city in Turkey, or if you intend to leave Turkey by air, then you will require visa/e-visa.

Best wishes,

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that assists..

Sue and Phil

Also note that they will take your passport at boarding and not return it until you leave Turkish water. We travel on US passports, but I am pretty sure they take CDN passports too. Not sure about EURO passports. Make sure you have a copy with you ( we also email ourselves a copy).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is what our TA sent me a few weeks ago:

Dear Mrs. XYZ,

ABC TA has received a very important notification regarding your upcoming sailing on the Celebrity Equinox.

Beginning April 10, 2014, Turkey is changing their visa process. The Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs will no longer provide visas on arrival (at airports) to foreign travelers. Visitors entering Turkey from that date onwards MUST have obtained their visa BEFORE TRAVEL to be permitted into the country. Visitors can apply up to 3 months prior to their arrival date in Turkey. It’s recommended that applications be completed by at least one week prior to travel, though it can be done up to 24 hour prior to entry. As always a passport is also required and it must be valid for at least six months after the end of your trip.

Turkish e-visas can now be easily obtained online at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/. More information can be found at the Turkish Consular Information website and at the Frequently Asked Questions page of the website.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your cruise counselor, whose contact information appears on your Vacations To Go confirmation, for the most prompt and efficient service. If you are unable to reach your cruise counselor, please call us, dial “0” and ask to speak to the manager on duty.