Debit Card Use - Warning

KievCruiser

I recommend not using a debit card (VISA or MasterCard Check Card) to pay your bill at the end of the cruise. Costa put daily "holds" on the card for the amount charged each day, then charged the amount of the bill at the end of the trip. The charge was paid, but the "holds" remained. Only the merchant (Costa) can remove the holds, or they stay active for 30 days. After two emails, Costa wrote to say they had released the holds, but several days later they are still on my account - tying up my money.

The upshot is that Costa tied up 300 euros in our checking account in addition to the money we paid them. Next time, we'll settle in cash.

HI there, I was reading your post about the debit cards and I just wanted to let people know that it can happen at any place. I used my debit card at a hotel in the Caribbean and they held $400 on it and then I also had to call the company. I guess in the future we should all have atleast one good Credit card.

I have also paid my cruise bill in Cash at the end of the cruise and never had a problem with them holding funds on the card.:)

Archived