Excursions for Panama Canal

nikatgram

We are booked on HA for the 10-day Panama Canal cruise departing from Ft. Lauderdale on November 7, 2014. Do you have any suggestions about the shore excursions? I have heard good and bad about the train ride. Would like recommendations for Bonaire, Aruba, Costa Rica.

First, I suggest checking out the forums for each of the countries that you will be visiting. There is TONS of information there.

Second, I suggest you check your roll call to discuss plans with others on your exact cruise.

Third - In Panama, we did the Wildlife Nature Cruise on Gutan Lake.

In Costa Rica we did the Train Ride and Mangrove Cruise.

In hindsight the Mangrove Cruise was very similar to the one on Gutan Lake... not the same but similar. The train ride was really neat - going through the rain forest, we saw a sloth hanging just 3 feet from the side of the train.

In neither port would I suggest you try to schedule anything on your own. I went with an LAPD sargeant and he was on high alert in both port due to sketchy people.

Aruba - do an island tour - just find someone on the dock. I think we paid like $40 pp (maybe less) and went to the California Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Casibari Rock Formations etc.

And no matter what you choose - have a great time!

After much research, we decided to stay on the ship, and were extremely glad we did. We had no need to rush to the front to watch the progress through the locks, as we'd still be on board to be up front as we went through the other way. We watched everything from the back Lido deck and, for the most part of the morning, almost had it to ourselves. We were free to wander from one side to the other and not worry about losing our place at the rail.

After everyone got off to take their excursions, we had a leisurely breakfast and a nap. Because we were supposed to go back out of the lake at 1, we had lunch at the PG at 12. We had a window table, and as the ship left a little earlier, we had the best seats in the house as we went back through the locks. The walls of the canal were literally right outside the window. Then, after lunch up on deck to see the rest of the journey through.

We then went out on our balcony and witnessed one of the hardest rain storms I've ever seen and were so happy not to be "out there" in it.

It was a most fortuitous experience.

As for Costa Rica, I can't recommend the Tram Ride through the Rain Forest Canopy trip enough. It was jaw droppingly amazing!

We enjoyed the train ride.

Instead of returning to the ship by train, we returned by bus which gave an added view of the canal and countryside. There was another tour going from Panama City to Colon, so they substituted the bus on the return. We got to stop at one of the locks for a close up look.

Even if we had returned by train, it would have been a great trip. Be forewarned, it makes for a long day. I was falling asleep on the way back.

Reserve the domed car, there were some spectacular sites, reserve early as the domed car fills quickly.

Edited by Typhoon1

Thank you so much for that info! I think we will do the train ride. Someone told me about an Embera Indian Village excursion but I don't think it's offered on this cruise 11/4.

I think it's way to early for all excursions to be listed for a November cruise. Just because you don't see it now, it may pop up in the next month or two.

Last year we were on the Veendam on the repositioning cruise from Buenos Aires to Boston via the Panama Canal. The ship was anchored in Puerto Amador on the Pacific Ocean side. I speak some Spanish, so we decided to explore Panama City on our own. We took the Hop On Hop Off Bus to the Old City in the morning. We explored the old city,, had a coffee, got back on the bus and went to the Miraflores Locks. It was extremely interesting to watch the ships locking through the Canal from the shore. We had a very good, albeit pricey lunch on the fourth floor of the visitor center. We could sit in the shade, watch the ships and eat. We took the HOHO bus back to the marina at Puerto Amador. We spent the evening at a bar in the Marina with a good internet connection. Panama uses the US dollar for currency. While we limited ourselves to heavily touristed areas, we never felt unsafe or threatened. I cannot speak to touring in Colon on the Atlantic Ocean side, since we did not stop there.