Little or no money for extra is it possible?

jenndun

You don't have to spend a dime once you get on the ship if you don't want to. When my husband and I went on our honeymoon cruise in 2011, we were broke from paying for our wedding and had bills waiting for us at home. We spent nothing in Progreso and did the snorkeling in Cozumel (through Carnival, $25 a piece - we were newbs, but I still think that was reasonable. ) That was pretty much it. Check out Playa Uvas in Cozumel. Entrance fee is $12 and that includes a snorkel tour. Good place to relax - not a party scene. Bring a digital camera and take your own photos (don't buy Carnivas) - don't drink or gamble, and you're good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

In Grand Cayman we go to Calico Jacks beach bar and rent chairs (or not). The taxi is I think $6 each way and always taxis waiting to take you back to the ship out front.Clean bathrooms and a little shopping.If you were never in the cayman islands you will love the beach. Here is a video of where we go, All you do is ask a taxi for calico Jacks. Maybe a $20 DAY for you if you bring some water or sodas with you (or some rum and cokes)

Cozumel is another cheap taxi to the beach that should be around $15 each way per TAXI.So go to your roll call on here and maybe you can find some people who will share a taxi like we do and split the cost.One pays to the beach and one pays to return to the ship.Another cheap beach day.

We have done cruises where we have spent a lot of money and some on the cheap. Had an equally great time on all cruises. Don't forget room service is free also, so some nice evening snacks and a board game or movie under the stars would cost nothing. We have done self made scavenger hunts before. Could also be done on shore. Whatever you do, I know you will have an amazing time.

Go to the shopping talk (or desk) and get the coupon for Diamond International. You can then take your DD there at each port for the cheap charm as a souvenir that won't cost you a thing.

Hopefully the ex will pony up his child support next month and your hours pick up at work. Been there, done that, and it stinks!

I also suggest a yard sale for extra money. The first cruise we went on my family did this and made about $300. You have the big stuff paid. Don't stress about it. Enjoy your daughters birthday. We just came back from the magic & these ports a couple of weeks ago. Check the Funtimes at night for the next day you will have a full day and won't even realize you didn't spend anything. Most of all have fun.

What a nice memory your daughter (and you) will have for her 16th birthday. Regardless, if you are not able to spend an additional $ during the cruise, it will be "priceless".

As far as food goes while you are in port, you can bring food from home that is pre-packaged. We always bring nuts, snack crackers, granola bars and such to take into port with us. We usually go to a beach to snorkel and snack on what we bring. We always take reuseable water bottles with us and fill them to take into port - much easier than lugging bottled water on board and the water on the ship tastes fine.

We never buy the pictures from Carnival, but on elegant night we do get others to take our pictures in some of the nicer spots, like a staircase, at dinner, or deck of ship during sunset. We always return the favor, if not to them to someone else. I've found that most people don't mind doing this for someone.

As for some spending money for your daughter, if relatives normally give her gifts, maybe you could suggest they give her a little cash so she would have her own spending money.

I do hope that you have the child support situation resolved before the cruise so you can go and not stress about every penny you are spending.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Enjoy your cruise when you go, and in the meantime, take your ex to court and make him pay you child support. I don't know of any state where that responsibility stops on the 16th birthday! It is a moral obligation to support your children, but I would bet it is also a legal one.

Good luck!

Kevin C

I agree! At least 2 more years is his obligation.

Also, don't forget to get a permission slip, from him, saying that you have permission to take your daughter out of the country. That's all you would need, to get to the pier and have them tell you that you can't sail because you do not have your ex's OK.

Go and have a wonderful time!!

jenndun, I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful cruise this summer. Great memories will be made. I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this was discussed. Make sure that you get the consent letter from your ex stating that he gives permission for you to take your daughter out of the country, since she's a minor. As soon as I read he hasn't been paying child support, the thought came to me that I hope he cooperates with the necessary paperwork you need for embarkation.

You are going to have a great time. It will

Be an awesome experience for you and your child and wonderful memories. If you want or like a glass of wine buy one before boarding and bring it with you and you'll will have 4 glasses. The only really important thing that I believe you should spend money on is tips and you said that's taken care of. Have a wonderful time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The sun is free. Each other's company is priceless. Play trivia. Take a dance class. Ask your daughter to help with your make up, she'll love it. Play putt putt. Do things you have never done. Just enjoy each other. You'll have a ball.

Let close family know you are doing something special for her birthday, and she may need a little spending money. Clip coupons for shopping if you are not already doing this, and pay the total amount to the store, taking the extra savings back as extra money for your trip.

I'm doing a surprise 16th birthday cruise for my daughter this summer. She has no idea. The cruise was paid in full months ago. I have gas money put back and gift cards to cover the cost of meals on the drive down and home that I've been saving. I've already paid for parking. I have reservation for the night before at a motel but I can stay with my sister four hours from port and drive down the day of if I have to. I was not worried about money for the cruise until in the same month my work cut hours and my ex has decided not to pay his child support any more so financially I'm stressed right now and don't see that changing before the cruise. Is it possible to go on the cruise and still have a great time without all the extra stuff. Has anyone done it or should I just cancel. I've been on one four day cruise before and I thought I was being cheap but still spent $500. I'm not a drinker. Last cruise I had one drink the whole time so I'm not worried about that. I'm not a spa person at all. I loved the bingo games last time and would love to do them but could do without. I'm not a gambler. I lost $10 in slots on my last cruise and never went back. I was really wanting to do the steak house but don't think I need to spend the extra money just for food. I don't want to be in port stuck the ship since I don't have lots of money for a excursion. What do you do when you have little or no money for excursions? We are going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay. I've been crunching the number and think I can do around $150 per person for extras while on the cruise. Am I being unreasonable?

OP, I am going the opposite way from all the people posting so far. I think if you can get your money back for the cruise, you should. Frankly, you sound like you are one car break down from financial ruin.

I know what it is like being a single parent and counting pennies. All the garage sale ideas are good ones, but things happen.

I personally think it is irresponsible for all these people to be incouraging you to take the trip. A cruise is nice and you can do it without spending a lot of money, but I think other things are more important esp with a child and that would be money available if there is an accident or something else pops up.

The only way I would not cancel is if I could not get my money back. Then I would start planning for 17th bday cruise. If all you can scrape up is $150 each between now and then, I think a cruise should be out of the question. Tips alone are 11.50 each a day. One tire blow out on the way there would wipe out any extra money you seem to have.

I'm doing a surprise 16th birthday cruise for my daughter this summer. She has no idea. The cruise was paid in full months ago. I have gas money put back and gift cards to cover the cost of meals on the drive down and home that I've been saving. I've already paid for parking. I have reservation for the night before at a motel but I can stay with my sister four hours from port and drive down the day of if I have to. I was not worried about money for the cruise until in the same month my work cut hours and my ex has decided not to pay his child support any more so financially I'm stressed right now and don't see that changing before the cruise. Is it possible to go on the cruise and still have a great time without all the extra stuff. Has anyone done it or should I just cancel. I've been on one four day cruise before and I thought I was being cheap but still spent $500. I'm not a drinker. Last cruise I had one drink the whole time so I'm not worried about that. I'm not a spa person at all. I loved the bingo games last time and would love to do them but could do without. I'm not a gambler. I lost $10 in slots on my last cruise and never went back. I was really wanting to do the steak house but don't think I need to spend the extra money just for food. I don't want to be in port stuck the ship since I don't have lots of money for a excursion. What do you do when you have little or no money for excursions? We are going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay. I've been crunching the number and think I can do around $150 per person for extras while on the cruise. Am I being unreasonable?

You can survive without extra money but don't forget that you do have your tips to pay. That ends up being 11 50 per person per day. That's about a hundred sixty two dollars out of your budget. With your $300 budget total that would leave you only $138 for you and your daughter to spend during the cruise. I would head for the free beaches in the ports. In Grand Cayman you can take the local bus which is actually a van just like the taxi for $2.50 per person to 7 Mile Beach. Then its $5 for a lounge chair on the beach for the day at calico jacks. So that's $15 total for both of you in addition to whatever you eat or drink while you are there. If its possible I would try to find another $52 to purchase a soda card for your daughter so that she doesn't have to be embarrassed about not being able to order a soda pop in front of the other kids on the ship. While I which tend to agree with the above poster that if you have no resources in the event of an emergency you probably should cancel the cruise and save your money however if you have family at all who would be able to assist you in the event of an emergency then I would not change your plans. The time you and your daughter have together in her childhood is limited and her childhood will not be returning in the future so if it is possible for you to manage this special time together I would do so. I would also contact my attorney if I were you about your dead beat ex-husband who won't pay his child support. Try not to discuss it with your daughter however.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

You can survive without extra money but don't forget that you do have your tips to pay. That ends up being 11 50 per person per day. That's about a hundred sixty two dollars out of your budget. With your $300 budget total that would leave you only $138 for you and your daughter to spend during the cruise. I would head for the free beaches in the ports. In Grand Cayman you can take the local bus which is actually a van just like the taxi for $2.50 per person to 7 Mile Beach. Then its $5 for a lounge chair on the beach for the day at calico jacks. So that's $15 total for both of you in addition to whatever you eat or drink while you are there. If its possible I would try to find another $52 to purchase a soda card for your daughter so that she doesn't have to be embarrassed about not being able to order a soda pop in front of the other kids on the ship. While I which tend to agree with the above poster that if you have no resources in the event of an emergency you probably should cancel the cruise and save your money however if you have family at all who would be able to assist you in the event of an emergency then I would not change your plans. The time you and your daughter have together in her childhood is limited and her childhood will not be returning in the future so if it is possible for you to manage this special time together I would do so. I would also contact my attorney if I were you about your dead beat ex-husband who won't pay his child support. Try not to discuss it with your daughter however.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

The OP has already said she did not have the money to take the ex to court which speaks volumes to me. Even if she has the money to take him to court, it doesn't mean she will be getting any money anytime soon. We have no idea what the exact situation with the ex is.

A cruise with a 16 yr old is great and it is certainly true they do not stay young for long, but I seriously think the OP needs to get finaces better in place before she should be considering a cruise providing she can get her money back.

@ jenndun ,

I really want you to enjoy your paid for vacation. You deserve it and you have been saving working hard to get to this point. Your an amazing mother who loves your child. She smart explain it all and cherish you time together!

I will be great fun! Best wishes to you both!, :)

Edited by live,laugh,love

A cruise is not a camping trip.

Everything on a cruise ship is expensive!

Most things in a port stop are set up to make you spend money!

Your daughter is likely to befriend kids her own age who will spend her entire budget in the first two days on soda and arcade games:(

An Adult couple can easily spend next to nothing on a cruise by just enjoying the relaxation and their own company along with all the included entertainment and food but can a teenager do this with her mum?

I feel you will end up giving all your budgeted money to your daughter so she needn't miss out.

I wish you much luck and near future wealth:)

The op did not ask people if they thought she was being an irresponsible parent or if she should get her finances in order. She asked if she could do this vacation with little or no spending money. People, please stop judging other people on this site. Its absolutely disgusting how many people feel the need to put their two cents in on things other than the original question. Enjoy every minute of your precious time with your daughter. You are making a memory that will last a lifetime! Since you already stated that u prepaid your tips, it is totally doable!!!!:)

Edited by diamondcharl

I have a question about this, if we pre-paid our tips when booking our cruise. Do they still charge your S&S card once on board, even if they credit the S&S card with the pre-paid tip money. I would like to know, so I can know what to expect.

The prepaid amount actually shows as a refundable credit, then they apply the charges for tips making it a wash, they zero each other out. Stay away from the photographers, as these can get expensive, have a fellow passenger snap a quick pic of you and your daughter (cheaper and you get to cherish the memory).

Kindle Fire using Taptalk app

Id say if you already paid for your tips, you can have a very fun time without spending a dime. My husband and I went for our honeymoon and seeing as I was 18 and he was 19, living off an active duty Marine's salary alone, we spent very little money. Like others have said, bring your own water, soda and wine if you like it (they allowed us to bring a case of water bottles, a 12 pack of soda, and two bottles of sparkling apple cider since we were underage). Bingo is a waste because it's over so shortly, I have much more fun at trivia which is totally free! They also have games in the theatre like Minute to Win It and Battle of the Sexes so there's tons to do in leu of for-fee games. We did buy a few pictures (which were soooo expensive) but it was the day of our wedding and we didn't have a professional photographer at our ceremony. We did no excursions, but we took the shopping guides and went around to all the shops and collected our free gifts. One thing we do splurge on which is completely unnecessary is we go outside of the touristy area and find a restaurant with local, un-Americanized food. You can always just head back to the ship for lunch or bring a couple boxes of the prepackaged cereal from the buffet with you. Make sure you eat in the MDR for her birthday night and they'll sing to her and bring out a desert with a candle for free!

Edited by squakittymaus

Sorry for the bashing you have had to take for this thread. Why some of these people waste money on a cruise I will never know. They obviously already walk on water. As a struggling single parent I have been in your shoes x3. My kids spend zero money while on the ship. They could live on the free ice cream. I discuss with them ahead of time what we can and can not afford. Trust me, free fruit punch and cruise beats sitting at home and drinking a soda. I don't know how social your daughter is but if she is anything like mine she may go to camp carnival and you will see very little of her anyway. Like I said, I have been in your shoes and it is quite doable. Stock up on Ramen noodles and have a ball.

Sorry for the bashing you have had to take for this thread. Why some of these people waste money on a cruise I will never know. They obviously already walk on water. As a struggling single parent I have been in your shoes x3. My kids spend zero money while on the ship. They could live on the free ice cream. I discuss with them ahead of time what we can and can not afford. Trust me, free fruit punch and cruise beats sitting at home and drinking a soda. I don't know how social your daughter is but if she is anything like mine she may go to camp carnival and you will see very little of her anyway. Like I said, I have been in your shoes and it is quite doable. Stock up on Ramen noodles and have a ball.

Love it!!!

I would also encourage your daughter to go to Club O2 at least a couple of times. They also give out some small gift items on the last day so it would be some free souveniers.

Lots of teens won't have spending abilities on board (I gave my goddaughter spending ability but other than internet she didn't really spend anything that I didn't pre-approve - I even said she could buy sodas and/or arcade games but she didn't because most of the kids she met couldn't).

It is very doable! Celebrate life. Your daughter will remember this experience for the rest of her life.

Go to the Port of Call boards and look for free beaches and other inexpensive excursions. If you snorkel, take you own snorkeling gear. We always take a small soft-sided cooler and water bottles when we cruise. Fill it up with ice on the ship, refill your water bottles, and throw in back pack for port days. (Packages of Crystal Light are good too). We also take packaged snacks with us on the cruise to eat while in port, such as crackers, granola bars, jerky, and nuts. By eating a large breakfast and taking snacks off the ship, it should hold you over until you return from you port day.

I suggest you pick one port to do something nice (inexpensive excursion), and just beach it the other two ports as cheaply as possible.

Also, since there are just two of you, try finding someone on the ship to share a cab. Check the Roll Call board, there may be someone looking to share costs on private excursions.

Edited by mpcaruth