Little or no money for extra is it possible?

jenndun

My family never uses a lot of money on cruises. We've never done shore excursions we just get off at the ports and walk around and take some pictures. We don't really buy anything extra at the cruise shops. The only thing that my mom does that cost a lot of money is that she always gets a bunch of pictures. But that's optional and you don't have to do that.

I have a question about this, if we pre-paid our tips when booking our cruise. Do they still charge your S&S card once on board, even if they credit the S&S card with the pre-paid tip money. I would like to know, so I can know what to expect.

Sorry if this has already been answered! But yes, they will charge your cc $100 if you connect it to your profile/ sign and sail account for pre-boarding. It is just a hold for incidentals, if you want to use it to purchase anything on the ship. They will take out the money the morning of the cruise, before you check in. Choose the cash option and then just put $20 or so on each card or choose to put nothing on it, if your strapped for cash.

We always pre-pay tips and put cash because we use debit cards. With the holds from hotels already on it, we choose to go the cash route so it doesn't tie up too much money.

It's very easy to spend little to no money in Grand Cayman and Cozumel as others have noted. Just back from Paradise Beach a couple weeks ago. Wristbands are now $3 and $15 - but still quite reasonable.

I think if you're going to spend money at any of the ports, Jamaica is where I'd do it. It's just safer there to be on an excursion, but it really is a beautiful island. I'd look at jamaica cruise excursions dot com for reduced price excursions - Dunns River Falls would be a blast for your daughter - it's a must do at least once. Otherwise, Carnival's price for Mystic Mountain isn't bad at all - they own it, so you can get just as good a price through them as you would off the ship. We did the bobsled last time we were there and it was a blast - plus you get to enjoy the pool and no pushy vendors for as long as you want to before going back to the ship. My 16yo loved it there!

I didn't see that your pre-paid tips question had been answered, but I didn't go through all 5 pages - just the first 3. NO - you won't see a charge or a credit on your sail and sign card - it's just already taken care of. Nothing to worry about there.

I do like the idea of cash for your sail and sign card account - it solves a lot of issues, and with the kiosks, you can check your balance, add money, and even pull money back off without too much hassle.

Hope you enjoy your cruise with your dd! These are precious days - mine goes off to college in the fall and then who knows where she'll end up ... just have fun, laugh a lot, people watch (that's FREE! and highly entertaining), and enjoy each other in the warm Caribbean sunshine. :)

When I'm broke, I've found if I wait until everyone is off the ship and on their tours, I go down to where the cab drivers stand and find someone who seems nice. I'll say, something like I've got $30 and I want to see the island or take me someplace cool, or I want to go snorkeling. I have never been disappointed.

Do you think this technique would work in St Lucia?

Since your original question has already been answered(and critiqued) many times, I have nothing to add there, but did want to offer a suggestion:

You mentioned her Sweet 16 and also the Steakhouse.

I don't know if the Steakhouse was a birthday celebration for her, or just something you want to do.

If it was for her, might I suggest you order her one of the birthday cakes from the fun shops? They are $10 and you can have it delivered to the cabin or at a meal. You can get the waiters to sing to her too if that's something she would enjoy. :)

This way she can still get a special birthday recognition treat, and you'll save $60.

Good luck and enjoy your time with your daughter. The memories will last a lifetime.

First pay for everything up front like tips and any excursions you want. Once, we wanted to see just how economical we could be so we stopped at Walmart the day before we cruised and bought some cheap wine and enough soda for each day. We vowed not to purchase Tshirts and/or shot glasses for friends and we walked around each port ourselves just to sight see and get a taste of each port. We bought food/snacks on the islands and that was all. When we got off the ship our S&S account was for $8.75 and that was the DOD I got just because... That is how you cruise on the cheap.

It is very doable and sounds like to have the important stuff covered. Here are a couple of suggestions that we do/use.

1. We bring refillable water bottles that fill them on the Lido Deck with juice in the am and lemon-aid/tea in the afternoon. Also you can get lemon-aid and tea in the MDR.

2. Of the occasional soda/soft drink, we bring a few on with us along with some bottle water to to take off the ship with us.

3. As for eating when in port, we always have a big breakfast on the ship, take some snacks with us, and plan on lunch either on the Lido deck or room service. We bring things like fruit snacks, pretzels, and peanut crackers as they are prepackaged and easy to toss into a bag.

4. Plan on a few dollars to tip for room service, I usually tip a couple dollars each time.

5. I would avoid the ship photos and just ask people to take a picture of you both. You may want to buy one to remember the cruise. We usually do this on formal night since everyone is dressed so nice.

6. You can find lots to do at each port that is low/no cost. Just do a little research. An example is we found a great walking tour in Nassau that was a lot of fun.

7. You will find a lot of stuff to do on the ship for free.

Have a great time

It's certainly possible to travel very cheaply. My suggestion is to investigate the bus in Grand Cayman; for $2.50 per person you can catch a ride to any free beach along Seven Mile Beach, and the buses will pick you up on the way back for the same price.

Just keep in mind that Grand Cayman is a very expensive country, and prices posted are in GC dollars. The sticker shock on the US conversion can be startling.

Edited by thistoo
Ugh, not worth it.

My 13 yr old DD and I went to the Art Auction during an at sea day, Dd and I walked around discussing art, what we liked and didn't while I sipped my free champagne, she felt very grown up and I got to see how she views art,

Another at sea day my two DDs and I went to high tea (free),

Steakhouse-wise, there is a free tasting. Check the Fun times for when it is then get there early! it books up quickly.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It can be done. My husband and I cruise once/twice a year and last Halloween we did a five day. I wanted to see if it was doable to not spend more than $100. We had a few months before the cruise so I called Carnival at least once a month to see if the rate went down. It did on many occasions, and we ended up with a $75 credit. We only put $5 cash on the card and figured if we need to put money on it we would. We're not big drinkers so the credit went towards my nightly cheese cake : ), cigars, and a bottle of liquor. We spent about $25 for the round trip and to get into the beach area. We did bring with us wine.... And some soda...my favorite ea bags, our own snorkling gear, but it can be done.

Enjoy your trip

Panama1471

7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman is gorgeous, and as many people said you can get to it by walking, taxi, or bus, cheaply. I rented a float for a couple of bucks and spent my day in the water. It's my favorite beach. If you're going to do an excursion, Jamaica is the place. It's not a good place to wander on your own. I did the Margaritaville Negril excursion. It's a gorgeous beach and includes lunch. It's a long bus ride though. Also, if you do go anywhere in Jamaica, there will be people walking around offering to sell fruit, jewelry, bread, etc. and once they get your attention they'll try to sell you weed, so just politely decline them and they'll move on. I have been to Jamaica twice, and I really enjoyed it. I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is doable. I think on one of our 5 day cruises our total S&S bill, excepting tips, was less than $80 for 3 of us.

If I was on a tight budget with 3 ports, I would definitely allocate most of the money to the ports. It can be difficult to do things in the ports without at least some money for transportation. I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing the ports.

Lots of good advice here, but one thing I wanted to say is if you have a limited budget, then make your money count. If there's something you really, really want to experience or buy, then go ahead and spend the cash. You never know when you'll get to do this again.

I am also a single mother of 3-Age 26,20,18. I have never received a dime of child support(dad would rather spend his time on vacation at the state penal institution). I have always taken the kids on vacations and my last 3 cruises I have not spent more than $50 a cruise. Call me cheap. But I would rather enjoy the time together than spend money that I don't have. My next cuise is an 8day on the Liberty. On this cuise I am splurging some. The last child graduates from hs so this is the last family cuise. We will have some fun just not break the bank. I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful adventure and just enjoy the time together.

Edited by louisville fan

I really admire you. Maybe you should write a book on how you raised 3 kids without child support. That must have been very hard. My niece will probably have to do that soon. Our state takes their drivers licence away from them and they always then come up with the money. I know your kids are grateful to you. Good job Mom.