best time for a deal

threestheman

I used to book a year in advance and the only advantage to that is latitude points and cabin selection now I wait until 3 months or earlier in and I find Haven suites at better deals! Points over saving 1200. I'll take the money savings ;-)

I book early with a TA who will update my reservation if prices drop or a better promotion comes along. I do not know if this would work after final payment, but I like to have my plans in place before that for most trips. I would certainly be open to adding an additional cruise to the yearly plan though if there were a great last minute deal from a local port!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are willing and able to go with little notice, some of the best prices are last minute. But you can't be picky about cabin selection.

We are picky about cabin selection so I book at least a year out (even more for specialty cruises) to get the cabin we want.

If the price goes down before final payment I get price adjustments accordingly.

For Carribean cruises we book closer to sail date for best prices.

For non Caribbean cruises such as Panama some Europe and Hawaii we book at least a year out and just sit back and watch the prices increase.

Our Panama cruise has gone up $1105K before taxes since we booked not including OBC. Same has happen on our our Hawaiian cruises.

If prices ever do fall to a reasonable savings we would forfeit points as were not interested in receiving a world globe for next level after Platinum.

We also never sail at peak times, but rather just before or after.

Edited by Ilovesailing

Remember - it's not just how early or late you book but when you sail. The best deals for carribean cruises are usually late November - Early December. Also usually the best last minute deals then as well but YMMV.

It's all a matter of demand. I'm on an Easter Cruise this year and they were not filling it so had to drop prices big time - but I'm also on another cruise and the prices keep going up. So many factors are involved - many we can't control like bad press at the time - weather changes - economy - To be sure book ahead - to gamble book late.:D

Is it better to book so far ahead for next year or wait to closer to trip when is it cheaper to book

This depends on what you want, your cabin preferences and how much you like to gamble. We usually book about 6 months in advance. Then we watch prices. If they drop before final payment NCL or other lines will give you the lower rate. After final payment it is a gamble. Often rates actually increase and cabin selection isn't as good, but then, there are the stories of those who waited until a month or so out and got their cruise for 1/2 price. There is no right answer. The time of the year plays a part as well: Late Sept to early Nov: good rates: Late NOv to Dec 10th good deals: Jan can be good or bad and late April to mid May the rates are usually lower and the weather the best.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Is it better to book so far ahead for next year or wait to closer to trip when is it cheaper to book

The Best deals are last minute just before big storms and hurricanes .

You may end up in a different port than booked , but your still cruisin .:D

Something to consider as I didn't see it mentioned.

Cruise prices typically start dropping dramatically after the final payment date for a given cruise in order to fill up the ship and maximize profits.

On the flip side, airfare typically goes up the closer you get to the flight day.

Unless you live close to a port then it's probably more beneficial to book early and call for an upgrade after the final payment date. Flights are what will make or break a last minute cruise deal.