Pearl Spinnaker Lounge

That video shows the very reason they started converting that space to suites/cabins and moved the Spinnaker to another location. Two different Hotel Directors stated that it was the most underutilized spaces on the ships that had it. Had the folks used it as intended it would probably still be intact.

The new suites are wonderful!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I always gravitated to the the Spinnaker most afternoons (on sea days) and most evenings. The Spinnaker on the NCL Sun during our 2010 South America cruise and our 2013 Norway & Iceland cruise was heavily used. It was a common meeting point for cruise critic folks after excursions -a place to relax or just watch the ship sail. Our last cruise in Jan 2014 on the NCL Dawn (without a Spinnaker with a view) was disappointing. It was surprising how much we missed a "public space" with a view. Despite our preference for NCL, we won't sail on a ship without a Spinnaker (with a view). Hopefully NCL will not convert any additional Spinnakers into Suites.

Edited by ComputerTravelGuy

DH and I agree 100% about the loss of the Spinnaker. We want to go on a Panama Canal cruise and although the prices on the Star are good, we will not sail on her since they took away the Spinnaker Lounge with that gorgeous view.

My wife and I always gravitated to the the Spinnaker most afternoons (on sea days) and most evenings. The Spinnaker on the NCL Sun during our 2010 South America cruise and our 2013 Norway & Iceland cruise was heavily used. It was a common meeting point for cruise critic folks after excursions -a place to relax or just watch the ship sail. Our last cruise in Jan 2014 on the NCL Dawn (without a Spinnaker with a view) was disappointing. It was surprising how much we missed a "public space" with a view. Despite our preference for NCL, we won't sail on a ship without a Spinnaker (with a view). Hopefully NCL will not convert any additional Spinnakers into Suites.

The view is still there. You just have to book one of the new front suites to get it ! lol

Seriously, if you count the cabins that are in the area where the Spinnaker was and estimate the revenue NCL is getting, it is easy to understand from a business standpoint why the change was made.

I made many cruises on the Star before the conversion, and agree that the Spinnaker was the most under-utilized area of the entire ship. It also generated very little revenue for NCL because most went there to lounge and didn't spend much money.