Celebrity FAN (football, that is) Cruises

macandlucy

We are booked on the Silhouette for March 15, 2015 and a quick Googling shows that to be a New England Patriot Fans cruise.

Let me state categorically that while I am not a football fan myself, I have nothing against New England, the New England Patriots or any of their fans. Or football. Or fans of football. But I am curious about these fan cruises in general and wonder about the vibe on the ship. We chose Celebrity because we were looking for a slightly more sedate experience than Carnival or RCI, and a football fan cruise, at least in my mind, doesn't equal "more sedate".

Have any of you awesome Cruise Critics had any experience with these types of cruises? I am wondering about the passengers in general and if the fans themselves tend to make up the larger number of pax or if they are just a small group. Am I going to be dodging footballs in the corridors? Will there be any Seinfeld-style Puddy moments in the buffet? Any info you can share would be most appreciated; I do want to look at it carefully and perhaps select another cruise if it turns out this might not be what we had expected. Thanks everyone!

Like you, we like Celebrity for the more sedate vibe and more mature clientele. I would have concerns on booking that cruise. I am a big football fan but I go on cruises to relax as much as possible yet still enjoy the activities the cruise offers. I would not expect flying footballs in the hallways but I would think the bar areas and pool areas might get a little rowdy after enough alcohol hits some of them. That being said obnoxious behavior is frowned upon and I would hope people would respect the others on vacation and not allow things to get out of hand.

Thanks for your thoughts on that, Cruisingsince94; much appreciated! Cheers

Your welcome. Did some research on that cruise myself and learned as you likely did that this cruise is the start of a partnership with Celebrity and the Patriots so I assume this is going to become a yearly event. That's cool for Patriots fans who want to get together with former players and enjoy a good time on a cruise. It just doesn't work for me to be on that cruise and it sounds like it wouldn't for you either.

I did notice that, too. I Googled a bit more and saw that there were two other Celebrity fan cruises earlier this year: one on the Silhouette on Jan 14 and one on the Reflection Feb 1. There are a scant few reviews on those cruises, two or three between them that I have found. So, either a bunch of negative reviews have disappeared, or it was maybe kind of a non event. The reviews I read did not even mention anything about the Toronto Argonauts or the Boston Red Sox. Perhaps the Patriots are a much bigger deal, fan wise? I really do not know. It is a bit of a tough call for me because the timing and itin works out so well, and it's a great deal. Shrug.

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject -- they are very helpful to me.

There was a Red Sox fan cruise on the Silhouette this year. I think it was the January 12 cruise. I suggest you search for reviews of that cruise or for Red Sox and see what people had to say. I think I remember someone mentioning that they were on that cruise and it wasn't that noticeable. I'm not sure if such a cruise would draw tons of Pats fans...it's not like Tom Brady is going to be there. I don't think it's going to be the tailgate atmosphere you are envisioning. It's not a direct comparison, but on my recent cruise there was a group of bikers. Not a huge group, but enough that you knew they were there (the motorcycles being loaded on/off in port were a dead giveaway.) But it wasn't as if they turned the Ensemble Lounge into a biker bar, or that they were causing mayhem or being obnoxiously drunk. They were dressed much more casually in the evenings than many passengers, but they behaved like everyone else.

Here's a link to the review I read that mentioned the Red Sox cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41401762&highlight=red+sox#post41401762

And this post has the dailies from that cruise which show a handful of baseball-related activities, which were open to everyone:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974967