Dawn Penthouse w/large balcony or family suite w/ balcony on the dawn

chinacat

I have a decision to make and need help! My adult DD and I are currently booked in a minisuite on the Dawn to Bermuda. DH just told me to splurge on a full suite! My choices are an SE Penthouse or SD Family suite. To those of you who have sailed in either of these which would be best? A useable balcony is important to us.

I have a decision to make and need help! My adult DD and I are currently booked in a minisuite on the Dawn to Bermuda. DH just told me to splurge on a full suite! My choices are an SE Penthouse or SD Family suite. To those of you who have sailed in either of these which would be best? A useable balcony is important to us.

Good Morning. We've sailed the Dawn a few times in the SE's. The two (2) deck 10 "bumps" (10000 & 10500) have smaller balconies (still huge) than the remaining SE's. The balconies are spectacular. On our two Bermudas (so far) we spent a large portion of our time (both at sea and in port) on the balcony. Views are unmatched. You'll have fun regardless of your choice :)

We have sailed in both styles on the Star (no balcony in the Family Suite, but same general cabin layout.) The big deciding factor for me is the bathroom! The Family suite bathroom is MUCH better. The bathroom module for the Penthouse suites and mini-suites on the Dawn class is not very large, small tub/shower.

Family suite on the other hand has a huge tub and separate shower! Two sinks! Nice walk-in closet!

The balcony for the forward facing penthouse is huge, but you still have a good balcony in the family suite and then you can just go up one flight to deck 13, a HUGE balcony! And my favorite hot tub.

ENJOY!

Edited by valleyvillage

Hi. We sailed the Dawn to Bermuda last August in SD 12026. The suite was awesome. It was large enough that we could leave the Murphy Bed down all the time and still had plenty of space. As previous posters indicated the bathroom is nicer than the penthouse suites. The balcony is large, but is not covered and was not very private from above. We actually had people yell down from deck 13 to ask questions on one or two occasions. On the two days it rained, we could not even open the sliding door or use the balcony because there is no overhang at all to prevent the water from running down the windows. The real downfall to this suite for me was the foot traffic noise. It is located between the forward elevators and the pool. There were lots of running and yelling kids and parents heading to and from the pool, so that sleeping in or napping was tough some days. I normally stay in an aft penthouse which experiences very little foot traffic noise, so my opinion could be slightly biassed. :). I would stay in the suite again if there were no other choices. My next cruise suite will be either an SF or SE, with a preference to deck 10 aft which has as large a balcony as the SD did.