POA Aft or Forward

lcumpire

We have a chance to either get a balcony cabin either on the Aft or Forward section of the ship. We have done aft before on other ships without a problem but have always stayed away from the forward section.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have a chance to either get a balcony cabin either on the Aft or Forward section of the ship. We have done aft before on other ships without a problem but have always stayed away from the forward section.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi! I grew up in Silver Spring! Anyway, we were aft on the POA with no problems. On our next cruise we were all the way forward (I mean overlooking the front of the ship) and the motion did bother us. So we have moved back to the aft for our next cruise.

POA is a little different than most ships in this regard because they're not trying to cover the same distance between ports and typically maintain slower speeds. We had a cabin all the way forward (literally under the bridge) on POA and had no issues whatsoever - we were able to enjoy our balcony every day / evening. With that said, we're also fans of aft. On POA I really don't think you can go wrong!

Enjoy your adventure!

We stayed forward last week room 8054. It was about 3 doors forward from the forward elevator. We had no problems. It was good for going off and on the ship since the gangway was always Deck 3 mid ship. However, the main dining rooms and Aloha Buffet are all aft, so long way to go for mealtime.

As another poster mentioned, the distances the POA covers each night are mostly relatively short, and speeds are slower. However, there are areas where the water is rough, such as on the departure from Oahu.

Our cabin was on Deck 11, forward very near the bridge, and other than that first night leaving Oahu, we had no issues ship's movement.

I don't think you'd have issues at either end of the ship, but of course the least movement is always on a lower deck, midships.

Winter weather and the ship passing around the North end of any of the islands

could pose a problem. It is not called the Windward side for nothing and while

the POA does not enter into surfing waves/water the weather fronts hit the

North end of every island fairly strongly especially in the winter.

The South end is called the Leeward side and things are a great deal more

sedate with a calming effect.

As noted the distance between islands is so small it is never ever a requirement

to go 'Peddle to the Metal' for speed no matter which way or any way the ship

goes around an island. There is enough time built in to linger and loiter around

a photo opt.

The only hesitation I would have would be in an aft cabin with the ships thrusters

and propellers making a racket when maneuvering in ports and tight places

also the exhaust fumes setting on the aft end of the ship while underway.

I have not been on the POA to judge but I have been in the aft areas of

several ships and note the noise and fumes can be a distraction and nuisance.