Lamanai Ruins or Altun Ha Mayan site

Du vent dans les voiles

In my opinion - you will be missing out. We've been on 40+/- cruises. Lamanai rates in the top 10 of all excursions we've done. It is a long day, but worth the effort. There are not a lot of sights where you can still climb to the top of the pyramids - breathtaking views!

Yes, I'd feel comfortable booking it privately. We went with a private company. They do these tours for cruise ship passengers every day. They are very aware of the time passengers need to be back at the ship. We had an hour to spare when we returned. It was so nice going with a private tour instead of a massive tour bus with a ship excursion. If you book with a private tour, do yourself a favor and ENJOY your day. Don't spend the whole day worrying about when you will get back.

There was a couple in out group that literally spent the entire day asking us what time it was. When we got to the temple - they asked if we were going to take time to climb it. We emphatically said yes - this was the main point of the tour! We had plenty of time to climb to the top(I'm definitely not an athlete). It was an incredible experience. How often can you say you climbed to the top of a Myan temple in Central America? Our DD was only 7 years old - she did great. It was an amazing day(except for the "nervous nellies").

We had plenty of time to stop for an authentic meal on the way back and we reached the pier in plenty of time for the last tender.

In 2011 we did the Lamanai and River excursion on our Christmas cruise on Mariner of the Seas. We booked directly through the RC cruiseline. With the travel time and excursion time combined it was a long day but well worth it.

Our bus got stuck in traffic on the way back and we were about 45 minutes late getting back to the ship. It was a relief to see the ship waiting for our group.

My wife took a lot of pictures. If you would like to see the slide show that she made, you can click on the link below. The slide show will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Here is the link Lamanai Mayan Ruins Excursions

Thank you again to both of you, my husband reminded me that I would be the one to have an eye at my watch all the time. :(

We'll see if many other cruisers on our roll call are ready to go for the private one, maybe we'll give it a try or we'll plan a cruise later with another cruise line. ;)

Jim, We enjoyed looking at your wife's beautiful pictures.

Appreciate your input!