Strategies for a Price Drop Newbie

mister windu

I don't usually book far in advance, but I just booked for August 2015 and am looking for strategies for checking prices. To those of you have some experience keeping an eye on prices, what's the best way to do it? Do you check every day? every week? Are there better times of the day or week or month to check than others? I don't want to obsess over this but I don't want to miss an opportunity either!

Be RELIGIOUS about checking. I check MULTIPLE times per day.

I have also heard that checking at midnight and after, they lower the fares for a limited amount of time. Unfortunately, I can't stay up that late anymore, so I am probably missing out a little bit.:o:o

You still have a ways to go, so I would like to think you will get SOMETHING, whether it be a price drop, or even a promotion offering OBC.

Just be sure to read the fine print, ie; final payment date, etc.

Their rules are whacky!!!!:D

Good Luck!!!!!

I try to check at least daily. My June 2014 is the first cruise I've booked ES that hasn't had at least one price drop by now. My final payment is due in a few days and was hoping to see some drops rather than just the OBC I get after making final pay't.

I don't usually book far in advance, but I just booked for August 2015 and am looking for strategies for checking prices. To those of you have some experience keeping an eye on prices, what's the best way to do it? Do you check every day? every week? Are there better times of the day or week or month to check than others? I don't want to obsess over this but I don't want to miss an opportunity either!

I check Carnival Booking Engine several times a day.;) And check on carnival.com some also. I have seen price drops for change for only an hour or so or jump up higher for a while then go back down. No rhyme or reason or pattern that i've seen. Good Luck..

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer/#

Be RELIGIOUS about checking. I check MULTIPLE times per day.

I have also heard that checking at midnight and after, they lower the fares for a limited amount of time. Unfortunately, I can't stay up that late anymore, so I am probably missing out a little bit.:o:o

You still have a ways to go, so I would like to think you will get SOMETHING, whether it be a price drop, or even a promotion offering OBC.

Just be sure to read the fine print, ie; final payment date, etc.

Their rules are whacky!!!!:D

Good Luck!!!!!

Wow--that's commitment! Let's see, I'm about 420 days away :(, times 3 or 4 times a day, that's....YIKES! I feel myself plunging into price anxiety. It sounds like price changes can be totally random--I will try to be as diligent as you!

Wow--that's commitment! Let's see, I'm about 420 days away :(, times 3 or 4 times a day, that's....YIKES! I feel myself plunging into price anxiety. It sounds like price changes can be totally random--I will try to be as diligent as you!

LOL!!! Yup...but honestly, it just takes a minute or two each time. It's totally worth it if you DO get a price drop. As another poster mentioned, it may only be there for a short period of time.:D:D Good Luck!!! So far, we have only gotten $150 OBC, but I am not complaining. That will be some nice DOD's:D

I check Carnival Booking Engine several times a day.;) And check on carnival.com some also. I have seen price drops for change for only an hour or so or jump up higher for a while then go back down. No rhyme or reason or pattern that i've seen. Good Luck..

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer/#

Thanks for the link--I was only checking carnival.com. Very strange that it seems so random. You have to wonder if that's by design or if they are just a bit haphazard!

It's possible to not see a price drop until you are a few months out from your cruise, so if you don't see one don't get discouraged. We booked ES 8 months out and didn't see any movement in the price until a few weeks ago. Then the price dropped 3 times in 2 weeks, plus we upgraded our room and got OBC. It looks like we won't get any more but every little bit helps, it's like getting a discount on the Cheers program.

As for the randomness, I doubt it. My guess is they adjust their prices based on site and PVP traffic. A company with a random pricing model would not stay in business very long. Think about it, if they see lots of people looking at a specific cruise, they post a higher price 1) they are going to catch some people who will pay it 2) if you go back to the cruise and see your price is down you'll book quickly thinking you're getting a deal.

Have a great trip!