Triumph Aug. 13/ travel and custody question

As this is my first cruise and my first cruise with my kids, I have a question for anyone out there regarding travel and the issue of custody.

Do you bring proof along with you to show that you have shared or full custody of your kids? Do you need a letter from your ex-spouse or is that not needed?

I am going to Canada this August. I heard that it shouldn't be a problem but I wanted anyone's opinion about this.:confused: Thanks

I cruise twice a year with my kids. If you have full custody of your kids, you need NOTARIZED documentation that you do. If you have shared custody, you need a dated notarized statement from your ex saying that she gives permission for you (your full name) to travel outside of the United States with your children (their full names). Their birth certificates and names of the letter need to match (no nicknames, etc.). It's not necessary to list the ship and cruise date. I usually get one letter from my ex at the first of the year and use it all year. I have never had a problem with any cruise line doing that. You probably won't be able to get on the ship without it. Don't haul a 40 page divorce decree with you, they won't be able to take the time to go through it at check-in.

You will need the same with birth certificate for Canada. I crossed near Montreal about a month ago and was GRILLED going in.

No, you don't need their birth certificates if you have passports for them. I hear that in the next year or two, everyone will have to have passports (including children) to travel out of the country. Mine are still using birth certificates. Guess I'll have to spend a little money and get the passport thing done.

Debbie

Archived