Sydney/Auckland Cruise Air Question

TERRIER1

We are on the Pacific Splendor cruise in February. I am at a crossroads as to use Oceania air with deviation or book my own. We fly from New York which is a gateway airport so we don't get the upcharge for a non-gateway airport. However, I am concerned that in addition to the $175 pp deviation fee we will be slapped with a heavy upcharge for the airfare. I don't want to wait until 270 days out to find this out from Oceania. Does anyone have any experience with the airfare upcharge from Oceania for this route? Thanks.

We did this crusie 3 yrs ago in Februry 2011 on Nautica.Also live in Ny and we booked our own air.Got back $1200.00 in air credit and arrived into Sydney 4 days pre. Weather in ny at that time of year you have to give yourself time to get out incase of snow storms.

Booked Qantas Premium Economy round trip was around $5600.00 for the 2 of us.

We are on the same cruise with you and just got our flights the other day - into Adelaide, Australia on Feb 3/ back from Papeete March 14. We did the flights ourselves, Premium Economy for the long haul flight from LAX - Total $3200 round trip. We are a non-gateway city and always have to pay more and have less options. We have points to pay for one ticket completely and if we had used Oceania, we couldn't have used them so worked out much better for us.

The flights from Papeete on ATN were the limiting factor as they didn't get published as early as the Qantas ones. You should be able to find your fare right now using Expedia.com

I did a small ship cruise of South Island NZ in Feb. I live in Maryland. I flew Southwest Air from BWI to LAX for under $100 each way per person (DING!) We stopped for the night at LAX Marriott Airport hotel. Then flew Air Tahiti Nui to Tahiti (economy only but it was not bad since new plane and 2-4-2 seating and we had 2) and stayed 3 days at InterContinental then late afternoon flight to Auckland. 2 interior flights in New Zealand cost about $100 each per person. Return was Auckland to PPT (break) to LAX (break) to BWI. You can easily get a flight to or from Sydney also. Open jaw ticket from Air Tahiti Nui $1,200 roundtrip. Southwest $180 so our air fare total was less than $1,500. Air New Zealand, Fiji Air (would stop in Fiji instead of Tahiti), Virgin Australia, Hawaiian Air were all under consideration and keep eye out as there are some great sales. EWR to HNL the Air New Zealand to Auckland is sometimes cheap but it is soooo long and being a domestic flight to Hawaii has no food/snacks etc offered for the 11 hour flight. But Hawaii is really nice breaking point. I have also done the Sydney to LAX to Baltimore trip straight with just the normal layover and believe me AVOID at all costs. Give the body a break if at all possible. Drop into the warm waters of Fiji or Tahiti or both.

We are on the same cruise with you and just got our flights the other day - into Adelaide, Australia on Feb 3/ back from Papeete March 14. We did the flights ourselves, Premium Economy for the long haul flight from LAX - Total $3200 round trip. We are a non-gateway city and always have to pay more and have less options. We have points to pay for one ticket completely and if we had used Oceania, we couldn't have used them so worked out much better for us.

The flights from Papeete on ATN were the limiting factor as they didn't get published as early as the Qantas ones. You should be able to find your fare right now using Expedia.com

Check the Air Tahiti Nui website or the Fiji Air website as they have some very competitive sale prices. I really prefer to have my ticket from the carrier. If something goes wrong and adjustments or rescheduling is needed, you really want to be a customer of the carrier as carrier takes care of their customers first -- I have been told to contact Expedia for reticketing -- not what you want to hear when you must get to a cruise. Some do not agree but I do have separate tickets if good reason for each leg of the trip as I find it cheaper to use Southwest, JetBlue or Alaskan Air for domestic flight.