Coba Trip from Calica. Anyone do this?

4yanx

We are taking a crusie on Sensation in December. NINE of us, including my 90yo MIL. We would like to make a day of it and visit Coba. A few Q's - answeres for which I'd be most grateful.

1) Our port call says 9am-6pm. Is this enough time to get off the ship, rent trnsportation, visit Coba, have a lunch somewhere and get back on time - AND still see enough of Coba to make it worth while?

2) If that IS enough time, is there anything about Coba that would preclude my 90yo MIL from enjoying the site? She gets around pretty well - no wlaker, no wheel chair, etc. Just a little slow. Not expecting she can climb pyramids, but is the walk doable for her?

3) If this is still a dobale deal, are there vehicles large enough for NINE to rent in Calica, or are we looking at two vehicles? Are advance vehicle rentals advised/possible?

Any other tips, advice, warnings, secrets, etc. appreciated! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I can give you a little info. I have not tried to do Coba as a cruiseship excursion but I have done it as an excursion when I stayed in the PDC area on a land vacation.

1. As long as you don't have a long lunch I think it is doable but please keep on eye on your watch and time the trip out so you will know how much time to allocate for the trip back. Plan to be back at the cruiseship dock AT LEAST one hour before the ship is due to depart (that will give you some unforseen delay makeup time.)

1 and 2: Coba is a VERY large site BUT several of the most interesting buidlings (like the ball court) are very near to the entrance AND there is transportation available within the site to reach the buildings that are further away (bicycles and pedi-cabs for hire). A pedi-cab would be absolutely ideal for your MIL. It is a good idea to take a pedi-cab tour because the driver will take you to the pyramid that people climb and past several other interesting building. He will stop for photos if you ask and at the pyramid, he will wait while anyone in your party who wants to climbs it. Most important for your MIL bring lots of water (you can buy some at the entrance). There are also clean washrooms (small charge) at the entrance. There will be places to sit BUT she should always look before sitting (snakes, bugs etc). Also DO NOT touch the trees (one type has a poisonous sap that stings). If you get a guide he will point them out to you.

3. - Can't help with this one.

A couple of hints:

Bring insect repellant (if it has rained recently you will need it).

Wear sturdy shoes like running shoes (some roots on the paths).

If you intend to climb the pyramid be sure to wear a hat - that clearing is open and hot.

When you arrive, first see the buildings near the entrance (about a 5-10 minute walk) - then take a pedi-cab to the further away stuff (2 people per pedi cab).

BRING LOTS OF WATER - you will need it.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know of Wilma damage that would keep this trip from happening? It looks as though we will still be porting in Calica on Dec 29. Wonder the condition of roads and such between Calica and Tulum and Tulum and Coba. Any help appreciated.

Archived