Ideas for Nassau

dmband1701

Hi everyone! I am looking for some feedback on what to do in Nassau. I would love a relaxing day on a beach with a book and a drink while my husband wants to explore. I have been researching and am honestly more confused then when I started. We will be there on the Victory at the end of October. Any ideas would be very welcomed!

What hours are you in port? A day pass at RIU Palace might work. If you book it in advance, it's $75 a person and your lunch and drinks are included. It's a smallish hotel but it has a relaxing pool and a gorgeous beach. You could check out the lobby of Atlantis and Marina Village before heading back to the ship.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with Arawak Cay in Nassau? I was there about 20 years ago, when it was just a small village on the edge of the water where locals would make fresh conch salad in their little wooden huts along side the waters edge. Wondering if it's still the same, or has it become commercialized and how far is it from the ship? Is it walkable or cab?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with Arawak Cay in Nassau? I was there about 20 years ago, when it was just a small village on the edge of the water where locals would make fresh conch salad in their little wooden huts along side the waters edge. Wondering if it's still the same, or has it become commercialized and how far is it from the ship? Is it walkable or cab?

It's still there and it's called the Fish Fry. I wouldn't say it is commercialized but it has probably changed in 20 years. I think more cruisers know about it now. :)

I don't know if you remember Coral World that was on the other side of the bridge, but it is closed now. No more water taxi either.

The Fish Fry is about a mile and a half from the port. It's walkable (but I wouldn't want to walk it in the summer). You can also take a cab or the #10 bus.

Edited by CruisinCrow

I'm going to post a thread about biking in Nassau shortly (haven't done it yet, but have booked it for May). Our ship will be in Nassau from 8AM until midnight, so we figure we can bike for four hours, then still have time for a beach. Your schedule is tighter, but you might be able to fit two things in.

There are many good places to spend time on the beach in Nassau- our preference has been the Melia (formerly Sheraton) which is on a good stretch of Cable Beach.

We also really like the Blue Lagoon Island. You take a ferry out and can watch the dolphins and sea lions and have a beach day. They have a website.

If you want to explore also, going to the Melia for 3 hours or so and then doing a walking tour (or horse carriage tour) of Nassau is interesting. The Graycliff Hotel is within walking distance of the pier and has chocolate and cigar making to observe. Lots to do in Nassau.

We have gone to Nassau many many times but this last January we took a short get away cruise and we decided to take a taxi (van) tour with Mario Bethel. It was GREAT!!!! We saw things we never saw before and really enjoyed the tour and then was dropped off near a restaurant for lunch and then strolled and did some shopping. It was a GREAT day. He will drop you anywhere (if you want to hang out the rest of the time on the beach for example). If you would like his contact information must email me at megator2@aol.com and I would be happy to share it with you!

We have gone to Nassau many many times but this last January we took a short get away cruise and we decided to take a taxi (van) tour with Mario Bethel. It was GREAT!!!! We saw things we never saw before and really enjoyed the tour and then was dropped off near a restaurant for lunch and then strolled and did some shopping. It was a GREAT day. He will drop you anywhere (if you want to hang out the rest of the time on the beach for example). If you would like his contact information must email me at megator2@aol.com and I would be happy to share it with you!

There is no need to pre book with Mario. All of the tour guide/taxi drivers give the same tours and you can negotiate with them to get a good price. I've been there at least a dozen times and have used several different drivers in the price range of $15-$25 for the exact same island tour.

that is true, but I got to know Mario pretty well and he does an outstanding tour, so why not pass on that good experience to others on cruise critic, that is what these boards are ALL about!!!!! It is a really GOOD idea to book ahead if you can, then you are just "meeting" your tour guide and going!!!! He does a really great tour and actually offer a number of different tours and prices , so if people get in touch with him BEFORE they cruise they can decide with tour best fits their likes and dislikes and they know they are meeting their tour guide when they arrive !!! That is like saying there is no need to pre book any excursion at any port.....ridiculous of course you should PRE BOOK if you have the opportunity!!! And personally that is how I have always pre-booked on private excursions for all of our 29 other cruises, by reading peoples reviews and suggestions on cruise critic. We have done some amazing tours, and excursions (all private ones) thanks to the information provided on cruise critic ports of call!

If Mario is so great then why do I need to contact you? Sounds like a "kick back" situation here..... Because of those emails I won't be using Mario, he might be a great guy but don't understand why he needs someone else to do his work for him.....

I can assure you I get no "kickbacks" ???!! I thought we were not allowed to post tour guides info on the boards that is why I give my email if people want his contact info!!' That is so ridiculous if we are allowed to post the contact directly then someone ease correct me and I will be glad to post it directly on the boards ! I just had a great tour with him and are more then happy to talk him up on these boards. Maybe you all that are protesting so much may be "trolls"??? Hmmm

Does the melia have an all inclusive pass or is it just a day pass to use their facilities? Do you know the cost?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

They do have a ai but it's pretty expensive I heard, like 150??

Breezes ai is 65 pp and the riu is 75, still trying to decide which one were doing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They do have a ai but it's pretty expensive I heard, like 150??

Breezes ai is 65 pp and the riu is 75, still trying to decide which one were doing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

about 4 years ago we took our kids (21- 32 at the time) and the loved Breezes! It was only $50 pp then, but I still think it was a great deal for what you get!

I can assure you I get no "kickbacks" ???!! I thought we were not allowed to post tour guides info on the boards that is why I give my email if people want his contact info!!' That is so ridiculous if we are allowed to post the contact directly then someone ease correct me and I will be glad to post it directly on the boards ! I just had a great tour with him and are more then happy to talk him up on these boards. Maybe you all that are protesting so much may be "trolls"??? Hmmm

If Mario is so great then why do I need to contact you? Sounds like a "kick back" situation here..... Because of those emails I won't be using Mario, he might be a great guy but don't understand why he needs someone else to do his work for him.....

...who I've never met: Is this post serious? Obviously she's trying to help someone, and you flame her for it?

CC has regulations about posting websites on here - they often get blanked out. Certain words too - my favorite is the Royal Caribbean menu "****ake mushroom":rolleyes:

And: I wasn't sure if I should say "who I've never met" or "whom", so flame me if my Grammar is incorrect.

...who I've never met: Is this post serious? Obviously she's trying to help someone, and you flame her for it?

CC has regulations about posting websites on here - they often get blanked out. Certain words too - my favorite is the Royal Caribbean menu "****ake mushroom":rolleyes:

And: I wasn't sure if I should say "who I've never met" or "whom", so flame me if my Grammar is incorrect.

Exactly! Thankyou!! I just don't understand Flamers on any of these posts!! Just mean I guess! LOL

Honestly we just had such a great experience with Mario that I am MORE then happy to assist him to build up his business!! Isn't that what "word of mouth" is all about. Back in the day I supported Cozumel Bar Hop too and look how huge they have become! Why not help direct people to good experiences!!!

Anyway thanks for your support I do appreciate it!

Do not post details or private information about any other person. Do not attempt to impersonate another person, either real or virtual.

Our Cruise Boards are meant to be a cruiser's exchange of advice and tips where cruisers can talk about their travels -- not a marketplace for advertising and selling services. There are thousands of cruise professionals online and if we didn't insist on a non-solicitation policy the cruise boards would be very quickly overrun with nothing but ads.

Cruise Critic defines advertising as an individual or company's attempt to generate business or other commercial enterprise, either directly or indirectly, by using our Cruise Board. Solicitation includes, but is not limited to, requests to be E-mailed, the posting of phone numbers for your business, constantly mentioning that you are in the travel business, and the referring to or posting of one's own Web site address.

********Copied from Cruise Critic Community Guidelines*******

Try reading them sometime before posting this same solicitation over and over....

And NO I'm NOT a "troll" just would YOU to follow the rules!

Thank you