Purchasing Euros

lesley_willis1971

I have both well fargo and BOA account, I purchase euro from both bank. BOA send to my local branch and has no process fee because it is over 1000, their rate is 1.43, yesterday I went in local well fargo to get euro500, the exchange rate is 1.40 and no extra fee. BOA tells me if I use my atm card at rome, the exchange rate will be the bank to bank rate plus 3% and additional $5 fee, I do not have well fargo debit card, otherwise it makes be better for me. That is my own experience to get euro.

Sometimes I think a few of us beat this topic to death. But one needs to carefully consider just how much foreign currency they will need. We see some folks ruminating and shopping around for a lower exchange rate which might save them $10 - $50 over an entire trip. For saving just a few dollars one could argue that convenience should be the driving factor. For those of us who take extended trips, and need thousands of Euros (or other currency) the exchange rates/fees are a major factor since we can save hundreds of dollars by how we do our transactions.

Hank

Normally, I will make sure I have €100 before I travel, but this year, I wanted to give my 3 DDs €20 pocket money per day so got €200 from my local supermarket as a start. After that, we just took out money that we felt we needed from local ATMs but generally used plastic for large purchases (meals in port).

It's peace of mind to travel with some euros but not essential. You can use your card for purchases and at ATMs. It's a good idea to have more than one card.

We are pretty civilised in Europe, you know.

As I have done in the past, I went to my local bank branch to order up some Euros for our upcoming trip.

To my surprise, they had them readily available (instead of ordering and coming back to pick them up a course days later). So I took them!

Rate was exactly as printed in the paper that morning (1.4) and there was no service charge, as I am a long time customer with them.

For me, I like knowing I have cash available to pay for anything right away. The thought that my ATM card might not work for some reason when I get to Europe far outweighs carrying some extra euros in my money belt.

I especially like having smaller bills for taxi drivers and tips, snacks, etc. The ATM in Paris gave only 100 and 50 denominations last time.

Everyone has their own comfort level, and this method satisfies mine.

Now I can't wait to go spend them!!!!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app