explorer balcony D1 vs. junior suite - help!

Hi, planning our first royal carib cruise on the explorer of seas next spring. This will be our 2nd cruise, the 1st on carnival in an extended balcony cabin. I need to know how RC D1 balcony cabin compares to that and if anyone thinks a family of 4 really will feel cramped. We were fine on carnival, the extended balcony really helped us to have more room. We are also thinking of the junior suite, is it worth it? How much bigger and is the balcony much bigger? We have family booked on deck ten under windjammer cafe we can book there or they have a junior suite available on deck 7 in the very back of the boat, is there an advantage to this location? Thanks so much, ready to book but so confused!!

We had a D1 on same class ship, deck 8. My 2 kids are teens--18 boy, and 13 girl. One on sofa bed, one on camp airbed we brought along. Was cramped with bed set up and sofa out, but it worked for the trip. We booked a JS and another D1 for the four of us next sailing, but may yet change that to all of us in JS only. Some really love the aft cabins, and that's what we have booked on Deck 10 this time. They have bigger balconies than side cabins. Here is a link to Bonnie Voyager's photo album of some aft cabins on the different decks, so you can judge for yourself about the deck seven JS. http://community.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi/0

Thanks so much for the info especially the pics. I think I just made up my mind to take that aft junior suite the balcony is huge! So, why did you child have to sleep ont he blow up bed, doesn't the cabin have beds for 4? On Carnival, one daughter slept ont he couch bed and the other slept on a bunk that came out of the ceiling. I assumed RCI was the same. Please let me know. Thanks again.

We had a JS on Navigator this past spring with a family of four...kids 11 and 7. In the past we had always booked a D cabin. What a difference!! We really enjoyed the extra room, walk in closet and larger bathroom too. The balcony is considerably wider than the D also. There are some great pictures at www.voyager-class.com of both sizes of cabins. If it were me I think the JS is definitely worth the extra $$$.

Thanks so much for the info especially the pics. I think I just made up my mind to take that aft junior suite the balcony is huge! So, why did you child have to sleep ont he blow up bed, doesn't the cabin have beds for 4? On Carnival, one daughter slept ont he couch bed and the other slept on a bunk that came out of the ceiling. I assumed RCI was the same. Please let me know. Thanks again.

Perhaps some do, would check with deckplan on website or with your TA. Ours just had two twins pushed together as queen and a sofa bed pullout. The teen boy and girl sleeping in same bed wasn't option, neither was my middle-aged back on sofabed;) . Also, I am told can't look straight down and see ocean from aft decks, just the wake--not a big deal for me, but....

We had a JS on Navigator this past spring with a family of four...kids 11 and 7. In the past we had always booked a D cabin. What a difference!! We really enjoyed the extra room, walk in closet and larger bathroom too. The balcony is considerably wider than the D also

Thanks for the advice I think we are going to go with the junior suite, but are not sure which one. I love the idea of the aft cabin because the pictures of the balconies look huge with 2 lounge chairs, etc... However, are you able to see below to the water? Do the aft junior suites have a bigger deck than the midship JS? Do the mid ship JS have lounge chairs? I didn;t know it had a walk in closet, that sounds great. Is the bathroom bigger?

Thanks for all your help.

You can also do this: take the balcony for u and spouse and an inside acros the hall for the kids. We have priced this out and it is well worth it since NOW you REALLY have a vacation without sleeping with the kids. And no matter how big(300 sq ft for the js vs 200 for the D balcony---) it is still 4 people trying to occupy that small space and that small bathroom. You would be amazed at how much more of a vacation you have with the kids across from you. ENJOY!

I completely agree! I have done both with the kids in the cabin, and kids in their own cabin ... there simply is nnnnooooo comparison. It is not a vacation with the kids in the same space. This last cruise we booked insides for the kids and their friends whilst having a JS to ourselves. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but if I am taking a vacation, I don't need the kids in the same room. Besides, sharing one bathroom is difficult (especially since my two kids are teens!)

No matter what you choose, enjoy!

Archived