Pack and go cruises

radioguy54

I came across this idea as I was looking at a future cruise...The rates are incredible....Carnival will choose your cabin. Has anyone used this and can tell me the pro's and con's...It is possible for me and my gf to do a short notice type cruise...

Pack and go rate are a great money saver. We have booked once, our first, by letting carnival pick our stateroom. We booked interior and had a room on the Riviera deck. Except for being so low on the ship it was a great room. That said we are now much pickier about location.

With a P&G or guarantee rate you will get “what is left” all the cabins no one else wanted. While it is possible you will get a great location the odds are not in your favor. Can you live with lots of noise from the galley or chairs scraping across the deck? Some have reported this was a distraction others have said they never heard anything.

Ultimately, only you know what you level you are most comfortable. If it was a choice between P&G or not cruising, I would be packing my bags.

I came across this idea as I was looking at a future cruise...The rates are incredible....Carnival will choose your cabin. Has anyone used this and can tell me the pro's and con's...It is possible for me and my gf to do a short notice type cruise...

I've done these last minute deals several times and never regretted it. The name of the offer has changed over the years, but the concept remains they same. They offer great value. Your cruise will be pretty much the same as any other booking with the exception of not being able to choose your cabin and maybe not knowing your cabin assignment until very close to sail date. You will need to wait to print your luggage tags until after Carnival assigns your cabin.

For cruisers that feel the need to control every aspect of their booking, they might not be a good option. But for those that don't mind not knowing their cabin location right away and feel that they will be happy with a cabin of Carnival's choosing, they are a very good money-saving option. And sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised with an unexpected upgrade.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks Winddawn for that info, I have sailed twice before and always book midship to reduce ship motion, but I do wear the patches...Last cruise to Cozumel we rocked pretty good one day...That would be my only concern, as I will not be in the cabin very much.

The one time we booked P&G we got our assignment about two weeks out but our travel companions didn't get theirs until two days before. Interesting side note, we booked within hours of each other, both interiors and they got a "better" stateroom. We were on the Riviera and they got a handicap on the Lido.

I was just looking at one of these for May out of LA. $199 for a 3 day cruise. Can't beat that.

Mom saw $189 for tomorrow's three day in the Inspiration IS guarantee.

They booked Monday's cruise on Tuesday.

It seems like they assign the cabins just like any other guarantee.

A couple of years ago a pack and go came out for a cruise we had already booked.

I gave up our already assigned cabins and took the pack and go rate and saved some money.

My PVP warned that we might not get a good cabin or even cabins on the same deck.

We actually ended up with much better cabins that were actually adjoining.

If I have the time and the money, I would do another pack and go in a moment.

Edited by mzloolue

Hi RadioGuy54,

What part of So. Ga do you live? We have a place just off 441 between Pearson and Douglas but live in Jax.

The Fascination has a great P&G rate right now, $229 for the 5/3/14 sailing. It is a 7-day. I took this same cruise last year and loved it.

Mavis

The one time we booked P&G we got our assignment about two weeks out but our travel companions didn't get theirs until two days before. Interesting side note, we booked within hours of each other, both interiors and they got a "better" stateroom. We were on the Riviera and they got a handicap on the Lido.

This is because pack&Go and guarantee cabins also fill late cancelled cabins, the later you get your cabin assignment the more chance of a better cabin:) not getting it until embarkation is usually good for an upgraded room.

Edited by fishtaco

Thanks Winddawn for that info, I have sailed twice before and always book midship to reduce ship motion, but I do wear the patches...Last cruise to Cozumel we rocked pretty good one day...That would be my only concern, as I will not be in the cabin very much.

Not planning to be in the cabin much is another reason why a Pack & Go rate can be very worthwhile. Unless you are prone to motion sickness, you likely won't be bothered by seasickness. I've been on 29 cruises and some included wind storms, and I've never been more than just a little queasy on really rough seas. Winter cruising in the Caribbean tends to be windier. Hope it works out really well for you.

I've done the P&G 3 times in the past ... we didn't had any problems with it.. They assigned our room a few days before sailing, however I have heard of people having there rooms changed a few times before sailing...Thankfully we liked our rooms each time... If you don't get sea sick or care where your at on the ship then I would say to go for it... Happy Cruising!!!

We did P&G on our cruise last month. We were assigned our cabin within a few days of booking. We were assigned the very back very bottom of the ship. Very loud and vibration when porting. We will never do that again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always go the guarantee if available. only once the guarantee were sold out so I got to choose the cabin. Usually get the allocation about 2 weeks before sailing but once on RCI Radiance we didn't get the allocation until we were checking in. Not a big deal - kept me dreaming that I might get the royal suite!! Going again in 5 days on the spirit, booked a week ago, we have been allocated deck 8 forward and my sister who booked a couple of hours after me has been allocated deck 1 aft.

Last year we were on spirit together last minute booking again and were given a disabled room, not requested but obviously not required by other guests.

Edited by Tara Jane

Sounds like a great way to go and save money too! Again my only concern would be ship motion...I really haven't been sick on previous cruises, just could tell when ship was rocking...My first cruise to Cozumel and Grand Cayman was absolutely flawless weather wise and calm seas...Not that lucky on the second one, we encountered rough seas a couple of days and thunderstorms one night..

Yesterday, there was a fantastic Pack and Go rate on next week's 3-day Sensation sailing. I couldn't afford not to book at 109 pp! :) We are fortunate to live 72 minutes from the port, so these type of last-minute sales are great for us. And since I have a teenage son who can take the top bunk, a 1A will be fine. We received our cabin assignment within an hour after booking.

I've been wanting to sail Carnival for a while now and am looking forward to trying something new. Can't wait until Thursday!

Adding a bit of information here that I just recently (within the hour) found out for myself.

If you book a Pack & Go rate for a future sailing, and then decide three days later you'd like to go with a higher general category (i.e. inside-to-oceanview, oceanview-to-balcony, balcony-to-suite, etc.), that is not a possible option. Several people checked and determined that the fare code used for P&G cannot be adjusted/upgraded, even if still going to a To Be Announced cabin.

I was a bit surprised to learn this, but just chalking it up to "Hey, you should have decided on that at first".

When mentioning that the original booked cabin is still unassigned, the answer is, "Sorry, that still doesn't matter".

When mentioning that the higher general category booking would bring in more revenue, the answer is, "Sorry, that still doesn't matter".

Heck, I'd never previously booked a guarantee cabin, much less a P&G, but I chose to take the chance on a whim. It's still a vacation get-away, so no big loss. I just won't do this arrangment again . . . as it's probably not for me.

• 2 weeks later...
This is because pack&Go and guarantee cabins also fill late cancelled cabins, the later you get your cabin assignment the more chance of a better cabin:) not getting it until embarkation is usually good for an upgraded room.

This is what I am hoping happens to us :)

Just booked a 6 day on the Breeze using P&G and we sail in 18 days!

Sent from my KFTHWA using Forums mobile app