Category W - Upgrade?

We're in the single digits before sailing and am considering upgrading my ILs cabin. There are some Category W (suite gty) available and looks like the only things left are GS, OS, ATS, SL, and RL...no JS.

Does this mean that if I book them a W they're guaranteed at least a grand suite? Or would someone else in a JS just get upgraded and then we'd be assigned a junior suite?

We're in the single digits before sailing and am considering upgrading my ILs cabin. There are some Category W (suite gty) available and looks like the only things left are GS, OS, ATS, SL, and RL...no JS.

Does this mean that if I book them a W they're guaranteed at least a grand suite? Or would someone else in a JS just get upgraded and then we'd be assigned a junior suite?

In short, it doesn't necessarily mean that. Just because the online system doesn't show a JS available doesn't mean RCCL isn't holding some back and you'll receive a JS under your guarantee.

Upgrades are typically given to Pinnacle and Diamond Plus members first, then based on revenue, meaning they may offer a JS to GS upgrade to a stateroom who paid full price before they'd upgrade you for free under the guarantee.

That said, with pun intended, there's no guarantee with a guarantee! You are guaranteed at least a JS, but you could get upgraded higher.

I'm assuming you're speaking about the May 4th Allure because you're on the roll call with me. All of what I said previously aside, I've never been on a ship with so many staterooms available 10 days before sailing, especially 14 suites and their larger suites available.

Incidentally, I'm also booked in a Cat. W. I upgraded on Monday and typically have a stateroom assigned to my guarantee very quickly. As of last night when last I checked, I haven't been assigned a stateroom yet.

HTH and if you are on the May 4th sailing, see you onboard soon!

-Steven

When we sailed on Allure in September, I upgraded to a W guarantee and no JS's were showing as available, we ended up getting assigned to a Grand Suite, so for us it turned out to be well worth it. Of course, we would have understood if we only ended up with a JS as that is the minimum guaranteed.

A JS is the minimum you'll get...and yes, they are likely to move someone up to make room for you in a JS....but you never know! You could get lucky! Even if all you get is the JS, you'll be paying less than the going rate, and a JS is a great way to sail!

In short, it doesn't necessarily mean that. Just because the online system doesn't show a JS available doesn't mean RCCL isn't holding some back and you'll receive a JS under your guarantee.

Upgrades are typically given to Pinnacle and Diamond Plus members first, then based on revenue, meaning they may offer a JS to GS upgrade to a stateroom who paid full price before they'd upgrade you for free under the guarantee.

That said, with pun intended, there's no guarantee with a guarantee! You are guaranteed at least a JS, but you could get upgraded higher.

I'm assuming you're speaking about the May 4th Allure because you're on the roll call with me. All of what I said previously aside, I've never been on a ship with so many staterooms available 10 days before sailing, especially 14 suites and their larger suites available.

Incidentally, I'm also booked in a Cat. W. I upgraded on Monday and typically have a stateroom assigned to my guarantee very quickly. As of last night when last I checked, I haven't been assigned a stateroom yet.

HTH and if you are on the May 4th sailing, see you onboard soon!

-Steven

Yep, same sailing and interesting that they haven't assigned you, yet! We originally booked OV balcony gty last month and were assigned the same day. Since then we upgraded ourselves to the RFS. In retrospect I should have just bit the bullet and upgraded everyone to the Presidential when it was still available for about $12,000 (and there were 9 of us - 1 of which is a baby but still normally full price). Now half my party will have suite benefits and the other half doesn't. Plus that price was amazing for one of the largest cabins/balconies onboard...oh and hello private hot tub?!? Boy what a missed opportunity!! Still kicking myself...

With so many cabins still available I'm starting to wonder the opportunity to board at embarkation. Do they allow upgrades then and would it get even cheaper still?!

I think there are 8 or 9 GS left and so if I can get them a GS for the W price then it'd be well worth it...

LMK what you're assigned. Maybe they're waiting to sell out the Ws before assigning so that they can go by rank? Hope the upgrade fairy is nice to you!!

A JS is the minimum you'll get...and yes, they are likely to move someone up to make room for you in a JS....but you never know! You could get lucky! Even if all you get is the JS, you'll be paying less than the going rate, and a JS is a great way to sail!

This is my fear...

I tried this last month for our Explorer cruise, going into it hopeful, but optimistic. Did the W guarantee and was assigned a JS the very next day. Same scenario too, all that was showing available was GS and up...I'm guessing they upsell or bump other JS up to GS and fill the JS with the guarantees. Good luck if you go for it! I searched the threads back then too and seen good results for some, though not always...