Upgrade Fairy, first time cruisers?

atate75

I see a lot of posts about Carnival calling and offering an upgrade. Is this just for repeat guests or is it possible that they will offer us an upgrade? We are sailing for the first time. We are booked for a 7 day Eastern on the Dream from NO in a couple of weeks.

There are two different fairies. One is the upgrade fairy, where you're upgraded complimentary--it happens, but is VERY rare. The second one is the Upsell Fairy and she'll call you to ask you to pay to move to a higher category. Sometimes the deals are very good and sometimes they are very bad.

My Mom and I both got (2 cabins) upgraded on the way to the port last year and were told it was for our "loyalty". We're both Platinum.

My brother was offered an upsell on his first cruise--he didn't take it because it was a bad deal.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

There are two different fairies. One is the upgrade fairy, where you're upgraded complimentary--it happens, but is VERY rare. The second one is the Upsell Fairy and she'll call you to ask you to pay to move to a higher category. Sometimes the deals are very good and sometimes they are very bad.

My Mom and I both got (2 cabins) upgraded on the way to the port last year and were told it was for our "loyalty". We're both Platinum.

My brother was offered an upsell on his first cruise--he didn't take it because it was a bad deal.

Thank you!

We got called about 2 weeks before. 2nd Carnival cruise. We had 2x interior rooms booked and they offered 2x extended balcony or 2x obstructed view balcony. Price was too much for both extra and didn't feel right to get obstructed so we said no. The agent gave me his number and extension and after I thought about it, I called back 1/2 hor later and he managed to find us one ext balcony and 1 interior across the hall. I am vey pleased. Price is much less that if we had booked a balcony in the first place.