4Js on the Freedom

Okay, so I've been searching and searching and the more searching I do the more confused I am about 4Js! I have one booked on the Freedom, 6201. I went to cruise line rooms dot com and saw photos of 6201 on the Conquest and the Glory where the window is on the side of the bed. Then I saw one that was 6204 on Freedom with the window at the head of the bed, which is kinda weird. I'm hoping my 4J will be like the Conquest and Glory ones with the window on the side. Anyone happen to have photos of 6201 on the Freedom?

Also, anyone know if there are wooden benches on the "secret deck" on Deck 6 of the Freedom? It would be nice to have a place to sit out there for a bit to get fresh air. The secret deck is what I'm calling my pseudo balcony! ;)

And, while I'm at it, anyone have 4J opinions? This is our first time in a 4J. We've always been in ocean view rooms, but needed a cheaper option this time since it is the repo cruise. I'm a little concerned about movement. We've never been higher than Deck 2 and never that far forward.

Hi! We have stayed in numerous 4J's and love them. The rooms are similar in size to an inside cabin but with a large window at the head of the bed. At night you do need to keep your curtain closed so your lights don't interfere with the bridge which is above. When facing your door outside your room there is a set of doors to your immediate left which go out to your "private" balcony. Yes, there is a good sized wooden bench out front. We love this spot for sail aways and coming into ports, and have encountered very few other guests. As far as movement goes, I don't think it has ever been worse than what you are feeling in the dining room or main theater.

I cant find any pictures of your cabin 6201. I did find 6204 which shows the bed in front of the window. 6205 and 6206 shows the bed across from the window.

I am guessing that 6201 will have the bed in front of the window because cabins 6201-6204 all look to have the same cabin configuration. 6205 and 6206 are the corner cabins and are configured differently.

The secret deck is nice but VERY windy. I have been out there several times but never sat on the benches but I would think that sitting down would protect you from some of the wind.

We've had the 4J's a couple of times and have one booked on the Liberty next Jan. They are great rooms as interior's with a picture window/ocean-view, much higher up on the ship than the OVs.

In your case, be careful with 6201 since it is a end room. The two end 4Js are Handicap Accessible and you can be bumped unless you are in need of the HA.

Steve

We've had the 4J's a couple of times and have one booked on the Liberty next Jan. They are great rooms as interior's with a picture window/ocean-view, much higher up on the ship than the OVs.

In your case, be careful with 6201 since it is a end room. The two end 4Js are Handicap Accessible and you can be bumped unless you are in need of the HA.

Steve

6201 on the Freedom is not an end room. 6205 and 6206 are the end rooms.

It would make too much sense to number them in order :D

It has to do with even number cabins being on the Port (left) side of the ship and odd number cabins being on the Starboard (right) side of the ship.

I was in 7201 2 weeks ago. Great room. The window is at the back of the room, so when you are laying Down, you're facing away from it. You may have seen a handicap room where it is on the side. Those have lots of space and are very nice, but you cant put the beds together.

If I were you, id go up a floor to 7 or 10 (9 has scenic oceanviews now I think) because 6 is above the theater and you'd hear everything and get no sleep.

7201 is a great room, so try for that one (;

Enjoy your cruise!

Steve

6201 is actually in the middle. It's not an end room.

I found a review on the Freedom from 2012 and the person had cabin 6201. They said the bed was away/across from the window. Here is the link. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1715332&highlight=freedom+6201

Ah ha! Awesome, thanks! So it seems like 6201 on the Freedom will be identical to the photos from the Conquest and Glory I found on cruise line rooms dot com.

I was in 7201 2 weeks ago. Great room. The window is at the back of the room, so when you are laying Down, you're facing away from it. You may have seen a handicap room where it is on the side. Those have lots of space and are very nice, but you cant put the beds together.

If I were you, id go up a floor to 7 or 10 (9 has scenic oceanviews now I think) because 6 is above the theater and you'd hear everything and get no sleep.

7201 is a great room, so try for that one (;

Enjoy your cruise!

Hmm...I hope that is not the case with the theater. I think I read somewhere that it is actually the backstage part, so not as noisy. Also, we are up pretty late at comedy, so by the time we go to sleep, I'm sure the main shows would be over. I picked Deck 6 instead of 7 because of its proximity to Deck 5 (which we frequent a lot for the comedy club, sports bar and shopping, plus we like sitting in the balcony of the main show lounge) and because we've never been that high up before and I've read that the higher up and forward you go, the more likely you are to get sick. So I was hoping to cancel out the forward with the fact that Deck 6 isn't as high up. :)

Based on the deck layouts, you are correct that it is over the backstage area and not the actual theater. We usually book deck 7 forward and have never had any sickness. My wife is more prone to it than me, but she takes a bonine the morning of the cruise and is good for the rest of the cruise. We have actually been as high as deck 9 and have not experienced anything either.

What you will feel (even up high) are the forward thrusters as they pull into or out of port... gives a small shake to the room... but, feels like "magic fingers". :)

Steve

Based on the deck layouts, you are correct that it is over the backstage area and not the actual theater. We usually book deck 7 forward and have never had any sickness. My wife is more prone to it than me, but she takes a bonine the morning of the cruise and is good for the rest of the cruise. We have actually been as high as deck 9 and have not experienced anything either.

What you will feel (even up high) are the forward thrusters as they pull into or out of port... gives a small shake to the room... but, feels like "magic fingers". :)

Steve

Yes, DH and I take a Dramamine each day of the cruise as a precaution and have never gotten sick (except DH that one time, but that wasn't due to the sea! Lol!).

I won't mind a small shake pulling in and out of port. We experienced a lot of vibration in the aft room we had on the Conquest, so as long as it isn't that constant, we should be fine! I'm assuming that vibration in the aft was due to the engines.

Yes, not a constant thing. We love the forward cabins, especially the 4Js. Even when we can't get a 4J, we are booking an interior in the forward part of the ship. Seems to be less traffic, certainly a LOT less than the midships.

Steve

I would like to try one of these cabins so I just looked at one on the Liberty and its not really much cheaper than my lido balcony cabin we usually book. Maybe a hundred or two total cheaper.I see they now put a $90 surcharge for a couple to book these "inside" cabins

I would like to try one of these cabins so I just looked at one on the Liberty and its not really much cheaper than my lido balcony cabin we usually book. Maybe a hundred or two total cheaper.I see they now put a $90 surcharge for a couple to book these "inside" cabins

We picked this room because it is $210 cheaper than ocean views, which is the category we normally book. It may not seem like much, but when you think about it, it equals a shore excursion or hotel stay the night before the cruise or many, many mocha chocolate getaways! :D

Mike,

Since I found your comment about it only being a couple of hundred cheaper for a 4J than a Lido balcony, I looked to price them for the cruise I have a 4J booked on the Liberty in Jan 2015. The price difference is $650 for my wife and I. Which is a 50% increase from the 4J price. Yes, there is a surcharge but I just factor that into the price I am paying for being higher up on the ship. For a hundred or two, an 8 day cruise is an acceptable cost difference.

Steve

We picked this room because it is $210 cheaper than ocean views, which is the category we normally book. It may not seem like much, but when you think about it, it equals a shore excursion or hotel stay the night before the cruise or many, many mocha chocolate getaways! :D

Yes, cheaper than the OVs, plus I like the big picture window instead of the port holes. Plus, the OVs tend to be on decks 1 and 2 and I like to be around deck 7.... in the middle between the shows, food, and lido.

Yes, cheaper than the OVs, plus I like the big picture window instead of the port holes. Plus, the OVs tend to be on decks 1 and 2 and I like to be around deck 7.... in the middle between the shows, food, and lido.

Yes, DH and I both enjoy the big picture windows (which is what the OVs have), so I was glad to see the 4J has the big windows, too. We were contemplating portholes, but decided to pay a bit more for the larger window and pseudo balcony. We've always been on Deck 1 and 2 and are looking forward to this new location as it is close to shows and food like you mentioned. :)

Mike,

Since I found your comment about it only being a couple of hundred cheaper for a 4J than a Lido balcony, I looked to price them for the cruise I have a 4J booked on the Liberty in Jan 2015. The price difference is $650 for my wife and I. Which is a 50% increase from the 4J price. Yes, there is a surcharge but I just factor that into the price I am paying for being higher up on the ship. For a hundred or two, an 8 day cruise is an acceptable cost difference.

Steve

I just looked at where we usually book and the same cruise was about $500 more.Thats worth the 4J for me :)

Can you get to the secret deck from the regular 4J not the handicapped cabins

Yes, DH and I both enjoy the big picture windows (which is what the OVs have), so I was glad to see the 4J has the big windows, too. We were contemplating portholes, but decided to pay a bit more for the larger window and pseudo balcony. We've always been on Deck 1 and 2 and are looking forward to this new location as it is close to shows and food like you mentioned. :)

I'm sure you will love it. And being able to go out on the forward decks is a bonus... be careful though for when the ship is really moving, it gets very windy on the deck. Also, make sure you close your drapes since people who wander up to these decks can see in :)

I just looked at where we usually book and the same cruise was about $500 more.Thats worth the 4J for me :)

Can you get to the secret deck from the regular 4J not the handicapped cabins

The "secret" deck is accessible via doors from the hallway and not directly from the cabins. It is actually a double-door air-lock type of approach, one door leading to the hallway, and a second door leading to the outside.

The only thing with the 4Js is that if you get them ES, the odds are you won't see any price reductions. Plus, if you do book one of the 4J HA rooms, and they need to bounce you out, you are most likely going to get a OV room on decks 1 or 2.

The "secret" deck is accessible via doors from the hallway and not directly from the cabins. It is actually a double-door air-lock type of approach, one door leading to the hallway, and a second door leading to the outside.

The only thing with the 4Js is that if you get them ES, the odds are you won't see any price reductions. Plus, if you do book one of the 4J HA rooms, and they need to bounce you out, you are most likely going to get a OV room on decks 1 or 2.

That's perfect . Thanks