Splendor or Pride better for kids?

redbaron70

We are considering the Splendor and the Pride for our kids' first cruise (they are 13 and 11). Is one ship better than the other for kids this age?

Also, can someone please explain the difference between balconies? Can an extended balcony seat 4 people?

I apologize if these are naive questions -- we are first-time Carnival cruisers!

Thanks for your help.

We have sailed on the Pride twice, both times with a Premium Balcony which have an extended balcony. Yes, they would fit four people. The extended balcony is about 2' deeper I think, which does make a difference.

First cruise our daughter was in Camp Carnival (age 11). The second and third time she was with Circle C ages (12 and 13). She loved camp and spent all her time there. The only time she didn't was if we had a shore excursion. I think the kids camps are probably pretty much the same from ship to ship. Only difference would have more to do with the staff than the ship.

Edited by bunchesofun
correct punctuation

One thing to look at is the Pride is going into dry dock in October and will emerge in November with Water Works added. Right now both ships have the one twister slide. Splendor has a splash zone but it looks like it is for little ones and not the older kids. Don't know when you were planning to go, but if not until late fall or next year, the addition of Water Works would be a plus for the age of your kids.

Thanks for the responses!

How strict are they about ages in Camp Carnival? Would they let my 11 year old stay with my 13 year old even though technically they should be in different groups?

Any other differences in amenities/activities for kids between these 2 ships?

From Carnival's Web site

Camp Carnival

2 - 5 years old

6 - 8 years old

9 -11 years old

Circle “C”

12-14 years old

Club 02

15-17 years old

Age Policy

Carnival’s policy is to group children together according to their age. Our Youth Program age policies are in place so that we can provide participants with age appropriate activities and so they can mingle with other minors of similar age. The age is determined according to the child’s birth date which is provided from documentation received at embarkation.

A child cannot be moved to another age group as it is a strict policy set by Carnival and cannot be deviated from, regardless of the situation, such as moving into a camp of different age range so the child can be with a family member. There are many times that the different age groups are together so that those families with children in separate groups can be accommodated.

--------------

My comment:

If a child's birthday is close to the cutoffs they sometimes will allow a child to switch groups. Our son turned 18 the end of October and we traveled Dec 2nd with his 17 year old friend. They let him attend the 02 club even though technically he had aged out of it. It really depends upon the staff on the particular ship. Some will consider it, some won't.

Edited by bunchesofun

The staff will not allow your younger daughter to go into the older group, however, they may allow your older daughter to go with the younger kids. You would need to speak with the Camp Carnival staff when you sign them up.

We were on the Carnival Splendor last year, and my son was glad to FINALLY be of age to to join Circle C, however the room for Circle C on the Splendor was extremely small. I guess the room size didn't matter because most of the time the kids are out and about on the ship with the counselors doing activities such as mini golf, etc. Also, the arcade is on the same floor as Circle C on the Splendor, so it's no surprise that most kids spent lots of time there.

The kids activities are pretty much the same on each ship, so I would choose the ship based on price and ports of call. Your kids will have a great time on either ship.

Some people find the artwork on the Pride to be a bit too adult. Renaissance style mostly. I was more offended by the Pink Pepto Bismal tiger stripped dots on silver wall paper on the Splendor than by anything I saw on the Pride.

We have sailed the Pride and the Splendor with our Children this year. The pride the nudity is everywhere and our 7 year old never got over it the entire week. Also, the kids club on Splendor is much nicer. Our older child 17 liked the food on Spendor better. He said there were more choices. I noticed the lines were shorter on Pride.

We have sailed the Pride and the Splendor with our Children this year. The pride the nudity is everywhere and our 7 year old never got over it the entire week. Also, the kids club on Splendor is much nicer. Our older child 17 liked the food on Spendor better. He said there were more choices. I noticed the lines were shorter on Pride.

You just made me glad we chose Splendor for next February!

The Camp Carnival space on Splendor is far, far superior to the Pride.

If you have waterslide lovers, a ship with WaterWorks (as the Pride will have after her dry dock) makes a big difference.

Here is the "splash pad" on the Splendor mentioned upthread:

475.JPG

...and a view of the lone waterslide:

468.JPG

Of the ships I've sailed, the Pride would be near the bottom. I loved the Splendor and would book her again in a heartbeat. With that said, a post-drydock Pride just might beat her out.

I really did LOVE our cruise on the Pride. But, honestly, I HATED the décor on that ship.

It was like Night at the Museum. Dark, Dark, Dark.

Honestly, I wouldn't cruise on her again, especially after being on the Breeze.

But we loved HMC!!!!!!!!!!:D:D