Question to those who DIY Corfu with car rental

janiss815

Hi, we booked a car with Corfu Sunrise for our day in Corfu. We are there a short time in August 1:30-8:30pm. Was wondering for those who drove around, could you share your itinerary or points of interests. We would love to see panoramic views as well as trying out a beach. Also interested in knowing if we could hit all the "must see" spots during that short time.

Thank you!!! 110 days to go!!! So excited!

We rented a car from Sunrise which is across the street from the cruise port. We made our reservations with them in advance and opted for a jeep instead of a small car, just for fun. We had about five or six hours in port and drove to Paleokastritsa and through Pelekas and Glyfada and then did some random driving and headed toward Corfu and into the Old Town for some wandering around.

We also rented a car from Sunrise and had that reservation in advance. We rented a jeep just to have the top off while driving around. There is also a car rental place called Royal I believe inside the cruise terminal. We drove to Palaiokastrista and checked out he views and monestary. After that we just drove around the island some and checked out some of the small towns. We drove to Old Town but couldn't find parking. We were kind of bummed about that but it seemed like such a hassle and would've had to park very far away. So we went back to a bakery we passed earlier in the day called Emeral Bakery. It was amazing! Cheap prices and some of the best tasting baked goods I have ever had.

I have heard that driving yourself can be tricky as the roads are narrow and winding? Does anyone know if that is true? Also, is it easy to find parking in Corfu town?

They are narrow and winding but not unmanageable. The trickiest part may be avoiding tour buses.

We found that stopping in New Corfu town was good. We went to a market and a few regular shops and found some interesting and inexpensive items to take home.

We did stop in the old city, and yes, parking can be difficult. We circled a few times to find something reasonable. Factor time in for that, just in case.

Melissa

Thank you DreaAST and CM2J2R2S!!

In Corfu town I read that there are public parking garages/lots where you pay a fee like 5euros. Were these lots full when you were there?

I think I have mapped out the following stops for our road trip:

>Dock to Palaiokastritsas and Lakones (how much time should we a lot for this stop - there seems to be a lot to do here. Would 2 hours be enough including a quick stop at the beach?)

>Palaiokastritsas to Pelekas

>Pelekas to Corfu Town

>Back to ship

I hope we can do it all in 6 hours!!

I think you will definitely be able to do all of that in 6 hours. We tried to finish the day up in Corfu Town but the lots were full. I didn't see parking garages only lots but they were full by the time we got there. Most of the reviews I read prior to our trip people didn't seem to have a problem with parking so maybe it was a fluke the day we were there.