Smiths for Airports Taxi Service

Anyone use this company? I did contact them and they were very prompt in getting back to me and their prices are very good.

I just want to make sure I can rely on them for my transfer from Gatwick to Southampton this summer.

Thanks in advance.

Yes we used them with no troubles. They were on time, easy to deal with, competitive in pricing, etc. VERY popular with cruisers.

Just for your info tho..... Just be sure you have the total amount due for the ride when/if you book and/or compare to other services. There usually is an airport "waiting fee" added. Too, sometimes, services will assign you a bigger car than you think is needed. Some services won't allow carry ons in the car, meaning they count those as suitcases...thus a bigger trunk needed.

I found when looking for a car, that some companies hide the extra fees so they look more like a "deal". Not a big deal...but I found it kind of interesting.

I found when looking for a car, that some companies hide the extra fees so they look more like a "deal". Not a big deal...but I found it kind of interesting.

A practice learned from the budget airlines I think. Quote a low up-front price as a 'hook', and then add in a load of extras to make up the profit. AFIK Smiths do not do that.

I just contacted them for a price from Heathrow to Central London in August and at 2200 hours. The price I got from them is 138 pounds. Is that a good price?kathy

No.

Absolutely not.

The going rate is in the order of £40 to £55, depending exactly where in central London.

Are you sure you've got your facts right? Heathrow to central London is about 15 miles.

Smiths would never be competitive for that journey, because they're based in the Southampton area. 60 miles from Heathrow, 75 miles from central London. So you are paying for about 120 empty miles, because they are making sure they don't lose out if they don't have a Southampton to/from London booking that ties in.

But whereas I'd rate it more professional to decline an uneconomic booking, they do quote in those circumstances.

Plenty of operators based at Heathrow or in London, sorry no personal experiences.

JB :)

Smiths for Airports is NOT a taxi service. It is a private car transfer service.

We use them every time we fly or cruise into the UK and believe they are the best and most economical service available. Their prices for two or more people are about the same or less than a Princess transfer'

The rates quoted by Smiths for our TA just completed from the pier to Heathrow were: car -- 68 GBP Station Wagon -- 75 GBP.

• 2 weeks later...

We checked with Smiths and also with Just Airports for a private car service from Heathrow to our flat in central London. Both have good reviews, and both were very responsive via email. Just Airports is about a third less expensive than Smiths. An estate car for two pax with four pieces of luggage will be 43 pounds plus 6 pounds parking fee.

justairports@btinternet.com

You can reserve a car, and you don't pay until the pick-up at the airport.

Let us know what Just Airports is like.

We know Smiths. They don't charge in advance either.

Keith

I will come back after our trip and report on this service. It was recommended to us by someone who has used it a number of times. They also said Smith's was good, but my understanding is that Smiths is based in Southampton, so not the most cost effective for Heathrow to London.

This is what I found online as far as reviews. Don't know if it's okay to post here, but figure they will take it down if not.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/just-airports-wembley

Edited by scdreamer