Helmet Diving in St. Thomas???

ddsdoc

Noticed on the princess web site excursion section for St. Thomas that they offer helmet diving.... I haven't read of anyone having done this excursion so let me ask if anyone has....did you like it??? can this particular excursion be arranged privately or is it only available through the cruise line???.... any info would be appreciated...we are on the CB sailing 10/1....thanks

We did the Helmet Dive in Aruba in April during our Panama Canal cruise on Sun Princess. There were only six passengers from the ship when we went and all of us found it truly exciting. DH & I are not scuba divers so that's not a requirement at all. Don't know whether or not you can book it independently.

Enjoy!

Wife (not a strong swimmer) did helmet dive somewhere down in the Tahiti area. We were on a Pacific Princess cruise, Tahiti to Sydney, 11-03.

She enjoyed it very much - said head and hair stayed dry.

My wife and I did the helmet dive in St.Thomas and had a real good time. I think, but not positive, that you can book it on your own, however we did it through the ship. There is also B.O.B. which is similiar but you're on an underwater scooter. It always gets booked pretty early and sounds even better.

We had to choose between doing the helmet dive and Snuba, both at Coki beach near Coral World. We ended up doing the Snuba, and after we saw the area, were happier that we chose Snuba because the path for the helmet dive was just a circle around the base of the Coral World underwater tower. However, you would have to remove the hearing aids to do the Snuba. Snuba was a real treat, very easy to get the hang of, great instruction and lasted a lot longer than the helmet dive walk, for about the same price.

Snuba was not offered by the ship due to the size limit (only 4 people go at a time along with the instructor), so we did it on our own. I had absolutely no diving experience, this was the first time I even put a regulator in my mouth, but I think it does help to be a comfortable swimmer. Prior to this I was just a surface snorkeler. It was our favorite excursion of all the stops on our Southern route.

Helmet diving is when you wear a "helmet" that seals out water and you can see all around, air is pumped into the helmet but your face etc stays dry. you usually walk along a trail and experience like snorkeling but without having to swim

we were thinking of this for montego bay. My mil woud never dream of getting her hair wet let alone can not swim verywell but I thought this would be a neat experience for her and FIL

Archived