Western Caribbean Port Excursion Recommendations?

Lizstar319

Hey y'all,

I've been reading a ton of threads, both here and over on the Ports forum, and thought it'd be worthwhile to post something.

Mom (59), sister (38) and I (35) will be headed out on the Sunshine in mid-August for a Western Caribbean itinerary, stopping in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya.

None of us have ever been to the Caribbean before, and so the choices are all a little overwhelming! Looking for some recommendations!!!

A bit about us: Mom loves loves loves the beach. Sister and I, not so much, but can deal as long as the drinks are flowing and there is shade (I burn like crazy, SPF 100 is my friend). None of us have ever snorkeled, and I'm not sure how much interest there is to do so. We all love being on and in the water, very strong swimmers, love boats. Sister was an anthropology major, so has deemed a visit to "a" ruin a must. We like doing fun, active, interesting things....but don't want to be exhausted by our vacation. We're comfortable taking non-ship excursions, as long as they're reputable.

Some ideas I came up with:

Cozumel: one of the beach clubs. Nachi Cocom seems to have great reviews, but someone else said the sand was really difficult to walk in.

Belize: cave-tubing, and maybe one of the ruins? Not thrilled about the tubes being linked together with strangers, please keep your feet away from me.

Roatan: Victor Bodden's zip and dip, this seems like a great combo....Mom really wants to try ziplining, and we get to play with monkeys and check out the beach.

Costa Maya: no clue, since this is a short day. Was thinking of maybe one of the ATV/Polaris excursions, followed by a beach break...either that, or Chacchoben (sp?)

Would love any input anyone has! Thanks so much!

Hey y'all,

I've been reading a ton of threads, both here and over on the Ports forum, and thought it'd be worthwhile to post something.

Mom (59), sister (38) and I (35) will be headed out on the Sunshine in mid-August for a Western Caribbean itinerary, stopping in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya.

None of us have ever been to the Caribbean before, and so the choices are all a little overwhelming! Looking for some recommendations!!!

A bit about us: Mom loves loves loves the beach. Sister and I, not so much, but can deal as long as the drinks are flowing and there is shade (I burn like crazy, SPF 100 is my friend). None of us have ever snorkeled, and I'm not sure how much interest there is to do so. We all love being on and in the water, very strong swimmers, love boats. Sister was an anthropology major, so has deemed a visit to "a" ruin a must. We like doing fun, active, interesting things....but don't want to be exhausted by our vacation. We're comfortable taking non-ship excursions, as long as they're reputable.

Cozumel: one of the beach clubs. Nachi Cocom seems to have great reviews, but someone else said the sand was really difficult to walk in.

Belize: cave-tubing, and maybe one of the ruins? Not thrilled about the tubes being linked together with strangers, please keep your feet away from me.

Roatan: Victor Bodden's zip and dip, this seems like a great combo....Mom really wants to try ziplining, and we get to play with monkeys and check out the beach.

Costa Maya: no clue, since this is a short day. Was thinking of maybe one of the ATV/Polaris excursions, followed by a beach break...either that, or Chacchoben (sp?)

Hi,

Cozumel- I have been to Nachi Cocom many times and I don't find the sand difficult to walk in. Belize- You have plenty of personal space for the Cave Tubing. Ruins are also really nice in Belize. Roatan- I really like Victor Bodden. He always does a great job. Costa Maya- I really don't care for Costa Maya so I stay on the ship.

Hey y'all,

Check out your different ports in the port section under Caribbean. That's a better place to get suggestions.

Hi,

Cozumel- I have been to Nachi Cocom many times and I don't find the sand difficult to walk in. Belize- You have plenty of personal space for the Cave Tubing. Ruins are also really nice in Belize. Roatan- I really like Victor Bodden. He always does a great job. Costa Maya- I really don't care for Costa Maya so I stay on the ship.

Thanks!!! I think we are for sure going to go with Victor. Seems like a really fun day.

In Cozumel I like Mr. Sanchos. Cheap all inclusive, beach and swim up bar in the pool. We've been there multiple times now, and I plan to go back next time we go there.

I've heard of Mr. Sanchos - are there a ton of kids there?

I forgot to add into my original post (and this is not meant with any offense to people with kids), but we'd prefer places that are more adult-oriented. I know it's hard in August, but if there's anything specific that tends to have less children around, I'd love to hear about it.

Cozumel - my vote is Nachi.

Belize - Altun Ha ruins are really good; if your ship has an excursion that does the ruins and a river boat ride, it is well worth it. The scenery and wild life along the river are wonderful. Also, in the shop area at the port there is a chocolate factory where you can personalize your own chocolate bars - just something a little different

As for Mr. Sanchos, I only recall about 1 family with kids each time I was there. I haven't taken my kids to Cozumel yet, but I assume when I do, there will be at least my family with kids. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Cozumel - my vote is Nachi.

Belize - Altun Ha ruins are really good; if your ship has an excursion that does the ruins and a river boat ride, it is well worth it. The scenery and wild life along the river are wonderful. Also, in the shop area at the port there is a chocolate factory where you can personalize your own chocolate bars - just something a little different

Thank you! We reserved Nachi for Cozumel. I am leaning towards the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour thru Carnival for Belize - waiting to see what my sister thinks of it (she's the anthropology major, so it's up to her).

We had a great day at Maya Chan Beach Resort in Costa Maya. It is all-inclusive with great drinks and food and fantastic service. It's rustic but it was a very relaxing day.

http://www.costamayabeachresort.com/

Thanks, will run by that by the others and get their thoughts. I'd rather not spend $60 for just a few hours, but if everything else we're interested in ends up being as much, then it's probably worth it.

As for Mr. Sanchos, I only recall about 1 family with kids each time I was there. I haven't taken my kids to Cozumel yet, but I assume when I do, there will be at least my family with kids. :)

;) We booked Nachi, but guess we'll just have to go back to Coz and check out Mr Sanchos. Aw shucks!