Removing a cabin guest from booking

jdyer09

My family booked at just shy of a year out for a November cruise out of Galveston. A wonderful opportunity has popped up for my husband and he will be attending the police academy during this time frame now and will not be sailing with us.

The current plan is for the rest of the family to still go. We are before final payment so we have some flexibility I think. If we choose to take him off does it effect any of the rest of our cruise? Does the amount due just get reduced by his amount? Is it better to just pay his fare and have him as a no show or since it's before final payment is there a better option?

We were booked 4 to a balcony cabin ES with $50 deposits. We are all past guests but not quite platinum yet. He's military also but I'm 99% sure we didn't book military rate for this cruise so we should be ok there.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Since you have 4 booked in a balcony, and this would bring you down to 3, your total cruise fare would be reduced by the much lower 3rd/4th person rate & not the higher 1st/2nd person rate. Carnival's website averages out the total cruise fare, instead of breaking it down for you. For example, total = $2000, will be listed as $500 each. But in reality, the 1st/2nd persons could be $700 each, while the 3rd/4th persons are $300 each. In this example, cancelling him will reduce you from $2000 total cruise fare to $1700. Even if he's listed as the 2nd person, it would only be reduced by the 3rd/4th person rate of $300, and not the $500 average nor the higher $700 1st/2nd person rate. If taxes are $100 each, that is a set amount for everyone, so no confusion there.

Under ES rules, if you cancel before final payment, there is a $50 penalty, and the remainder of the deposit is held for a future cruise (cannot be applied to the same cruise). Since you got ES with a $50 deposit, it sounds like you don't have to worry at all about having any amount to apply to a future cruise, so that's really nice. That $50 will be removed from the payments on your booking as a penalty. But you will pay less by cancelling him. In my example above, you would save $350 ($300 cruise fare + $100 taxes - $50 penalty).

If you wait until after final payment to cancel, standard penalties apply. The lowest possible penalty is the entire deposit, and I'm not sure if they would penalize only the reduced deposit or the standard deposit. The closer you get to the sail date, the higher the penalty. But you shouldn't do the no-show thing. You would only do that if you were a 2-person room going down to 1, because of the solo supplement. 1 person has to pay for 2 people, but 3 people don't have to pay for 4, so no worries there.

One thing to think about is the possibility that they could bump you from a 4-person room to a 3-person at some point after you cancel. If this is over Thanksgiving, they might do that. If it's not over the holidays, it's unlikely that it would happen, but still possible. You could be pro-active, and find yourself a good 3-person room to switch to.

Edited by k2excursion

I'm not entirely sure but it's also possible that since you booked with a reduced deposit of $50 that you may need to pay the full regular deposit amounts if you make the change when they don't have a special $50 dep. promo available.

I'm not entirely sure but it's also possible that since you booked with a reduced deposit of $50 that you may need to pay the full regular deposit amounts if you make the change when they don't have a special $50 dep. promo available.

I just had to remove my dh from our trip booked 9/8/14 out of Galveston on the Triumph. We also had the ES with the $50 deposit promotion.

All that happened was the $50.00 penalty. No new deposit or full regular deposit was needed.