Spirit - Odessa?

rosepark

just been seeing events in Odessa today, shocking and one wonders what will happen next in that benighted country. I think the Spirit was due to be calling there round this time, possibly even today? I hope they called it off - does anyone know?

Rp

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly based on the Wind's experience in Odessa earlier this month, or perhaps just because of recent news and an abundance of caution, the Black Sea cruise by Silver Spirit from Sept. 28 through Oct. 7 (voyage 5529) has canceled stops in Trabzon, Batumi, Sochi, Yalta, Sevastopol, and Odessa, substituting ports in Greece and in Izmir, Turkey. Constanta and Nessebur are still on the cruise. The Silversea web site has not entirely caught up with this change and the map on the page with cruise itineraries still shows all the original Black Sea ports.

Boreus, I wish our itinerary had made a diversion to the south as yours did. I actually went online today to look at booking excursions in Sochi and Odessa. I was only mildly surprised to find that Odessa was no longer a stop for our Spirit cruise in July.

We are at a point (66 days out) that it makes no sense to cancel. I also don't fault any cruise line for canceling the three ports we lost.

That said - "Damn the luck!" Who's ever gotten excited about a top dollar cruise with the following highlights: Nessebur, Sochi and Constanta?

Sorry for the whining. I read too much of it on these boards, and have now lowered myself to that level.

My hopes were that when things started to get testy in the Crimea and Ukraine, I was hoping for a shift to the south.

It's what we call the luck of the draw.

I now channel my optimistic side (the other 95%) and want you to know that we realize it's still the same great ship, with outstanding crew, as well as food/wine that most folks would kill for.

Besides, how many people can say that they've been to Sinop?

It really should be an excellent experience.

Will follow up with reports, and will probably be trying to wipe the egg off of my face for dissing the changes.

Larry

just been seeing events in Odessa today, shocking and one wonders what will happen next in that benighted country. I think the Spirit was due to be calling there round this time, possibly even today? I hope they called it off - does anyone know?

Rp

We are scheduled for the Silver Spirit Black Sea cruise September 29th, and the questionable ports have been replaced with several attractive Greek Islands, as well as Athens and Izmir (Ephesus). I was happy to see one of the ports is the beautiful island where Mamma Mia was filmed. Looking forward to the new itenerary!