Boat trip from Rostock to Warnemunde

Our cruise ship (Celebrity Eclipse)is docking in Warnemunde and we plan to travel to Rostock by train/tram.Is it possible to return to Warnemunde by boat?And if so, how do we do this?

:):)

Hi, this is possible and a very pleasant way to return if the weather is good.

Please note that this boat is operated by a private company - local transport day tickets are not valid. Their web site is in German only.

http://www.blaue-flotte.de/Startseite_1.html

Boats depart from the City Harbour at 13:15, 14:15 and 15:15. There is sometimes an extra boat at 15:30 if demand is heavy but I would not rely on it. These times are subject to occasional change eg. during Hansa-Sail week. Changes and extra boats are advertised on a board at the Warnemünde terminal.

The cost is 10 euro pp. and the trip takes about 45 mins. The commentary is in German only unless you happen to be on the same boat as an organised tour from the ship.

Hot and cold drinks, including alcohol, snacks and light meals are available on board.

The boats are always busy, many local tourists making the round trip from Warnemünde as this is essentially a tour boat which takes passengers one-way from Rostock if space is available.

From University Square take Bright Str. (MacDonalds on the corner), cross Lange Str. (tram tracks), walk down the steps etc. of the pedestrian street straight ahead to the harbour and the Blauflotte kiosk where you buy tickets.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Found extra information

Not to step on Anni's toes, but this is not the most exciting or picturesque boat ride you will take. As Anni said, the commentary is in German, and there is basically little to see that might interest a tourist. But, hey, different strokes for different folks.

Had some great beer on the trip though.

And again, not to disparage anyone, but when we did this boat ride, I can understand a little German from my days in the Air force in Germany, when the boat passed by our cruise ship, the commentator was clearing making fun of the 'American's' and their 'rich' vacation aboard a cruise ship, and not in a very nice way. There was no doubt about it.

Cheers

Len

Not to step on Anni's toes, but this is not the most exciting or picturesque boat ride you will take. As Anni said, the commentary is in German, and there is basically little to see that might interest a tourist. But, hey, different strokes for different folks.

Had some great beer on the trip though.

And again, not to disparage anyone, but when we did this boat ride, I can understand a little German from my days in the Air force in Germany, when the boat passed by our cruise ship, the commentator was clearing making fun of the 'American's' and their 'rich' vacation aboard a cruise ship, and not in a very nice way. There was no doubt about it.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len,

You are absolutely right, not picturesque but a very relaxing way to travel. Interesting if you want to see the other, working side of Rostock. Ships and the docks is what it is all about. Glad you enjoyed the beer!

Sorry about the somewhat insulting commentary to which you were subjected. I am sure that the senior Mr. Schütt (owner of the fleet) will be very disappointed when I relate this incident to him. Hopefully it was a 'one off' and will never happen again.

Please don't think this is the usual attitude of the local people here, we are very happy to welcome visitors of any nationality and certainly do not approve of this kind of behavior. Cruise tourism is a big part of the life-blood of this city and an incident like this is not typical nor does it do any good whatsoever for our image.

Thank you for bringing it to our notice.

Anni

Anni

I wasn't trying to discredit any of the German people. In our time there, most of the people we met or dealt with were absolutely great. What we did find, especially in Warnemunde was that many of the 'older' folks didn't speak much English, and had to get the 'kids' to translate for them.

Plus, this incident happened several years ago. No harm, no foul.

It was a relaxing trip, but we did it both ways, which, I guess, made it a bit boring the second time. But the people on the ship were great. We bought a beer, served in this tall glass mug with a Rostocker emblem on it. I thought it would make a great gift, so I asked if I could buy one and they sold me one for a few euros. I still have it and use it regularly.

Cheers

Len