Accidentally paid off my cruise.

I was checking my credit card statements yesterday to make sure I'd either paid off everything or knew about it at least, and noticed a huge payment to Expedia from April 26 along with a reversal of charges the next day. I called and apparently someone had booked airfare to a farflung locale and they knew it wasn't me. I then went and checked with my protection service and they were aware of the charges and advised I was protected and not to worry. I don't worry, but I do check and verify.

After our first cruise back in 1989 I bought a brand new Chevrolet truck in Florida. The only problem was that I was in West Virginia at the time and wouldn't own a Chevrolet if it were given to me. American Express had no limits back then and I hear they've changed over the years, but to this day they'll not have me as a customer. Too many American Express agents insisted that I had defrauded them and used a fake signature just to avoid the charges. :rolleyes: It took forever for them to accept that the purchase wasn't mine and even then they wanted to place the blame on me. Blame for a card that I had in my possession the entire time.....

Reversing charges is much easier today and obviously in the case of fraud I wasn't even in the loop and fraud charges were reversed for me.

I also did it making a payment on line! I realized it right away, finished pooping a brick and called Carnival. They fixed it right away but it took a few days to get the money back in my account. :)

dont mean to hijack the thread, but this seemed like the place to ask. If i book now for a February sailing & pay the full (very high) price now at the early saver rate, can i still get the discounts for lower fares in the form of obc?

Not sure if they would give you OBC or credit your credit card with the money, probably OBC. But my question is are you doing this just for OBC? If so, why not just put money on your S&S card when you get onboard?

Not sure if they would give you OBC or credit your credit card with the money, probably OBC. But my question is are you doing this just for OBC? If so, why not just put money on your S&S card when you get onboard?

not doing it necessarily just for the obc, just figured it may be the easiest, have it all paid off and possibly get some obc out of the deal. i know the obc isnt guaranteed, just didnt know if i would still qualify for it IF i had it paid off already. Even if they put it back on the card i guess. Basically, i guess i'm asking, if i pay off my cruise all at once & i'm on early saver, can i still get the lower rates, whether its refunded to my card or obc.

I can just start a new thread. Dont want to hijack someone elses. shoulda done that to begin with :)

Edited by coltsmama

not doing it necessarily just for the obc, just figured it may be the easiest, have it all paid off and possibly get some obc out of the deal. i know the obc isnt guaranteed, just didnt know if i would still qualify for it IF i had it paid off already. Even if they put it back on the card i guess. Basically, i guess i'm asking, if i pay off my cruise all at once & i'm on early saver, can i still get the lower rates, whether its refunded to my card or obc.

if you are eligible for the price drop, yes you will get the drop

( for some reason my kids all wanted "group" honeymoons)
still waiting for them to pay for the rest of their cruise 3 years after we all sailed :cool:

why did they all want group honeymoons? still waiting for final payment? seems like you answered your own question. :p

Edited by DanaLea73

I did a similar thing last year with flights! I was doing a mock booking for return flights from Australia to US with QANTAS as there were some really cheap flights and towards the end of the mock booking I pressed "Next" to see the total charges including taxes and I ended up paying for the tickets as QANTAS had my CC details still in the system from a previous flight!:eek:

The flights were non refundable so now we are coming to US in June like it or not:)

YOU Aussies have the best attitudes in the world! I hope you have the best time in the world while you are in the USA .....in June.

Edited by AmberTeka