What to pack for Alaska

Stanley

We sail from Whittier on 9/3. I've seen the charts telling us what the temperatures will be during the days and night. I know that I will be wearing warm weather clothes when we leave the ship. My questions is, what do passengers wear during the day when the ship is just sailing? If you spend time on the decks during the day it is sure to be cold. Is it acceptable to wear jeans during the day when you are just walking the decks or relaxing somewhere?

Also, can anyone who has already sailed Alaska tell me what the inside temperatures will be like in the public rooms, dining rooms, etc.on the ship? On a formal night will ladies be wearing sleeves and/or carrying sweaters?

Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Getting ready for our 4th Alaskan cruise in three weeks. Jeans are fine during the day. It is very casual during the day. As everyone says - layer your clothes. It will be windy on at sea days. I take along a small pair of those stretchy gloves and a headband for my ears on the cold days. I have a polartec pullover that I can put under my hooded windbreaker, if necessary. Being prepared for rain is very important. I have a complete cheap vinyl rain suit that I used on a past bear fly in excursion. It's ugly but works if you are on an all day excursion in the rain.

On formal nights you will see a variety of clothes, sleeveless and non sleeveless. I didn't think it was cold at all inside the ship, so each time I came in from the deck I'd "peel" off the layers.

Don't forget the binoculars!

The inside of the ship is probably comparable to the conditions you would have in your own home - not too cold and not too warm. We sailed in May on the Coral and didn't have any problems. I always wore long sleeves to dinner as I tend to get cold, but anything on formal night is acceptable, as long as it's not jeans! Enjoy.

Evening dress always depends on if you are one of those who feel the cold or not. I found it quite comfortable inside at night in my short sleeve or sleeveless evening wear but I did see a lot of women with sweaters (just in case).

I like to go for a walk on deck after dinner and found I needed to go back to my cabin for a jacket before heading out. My Alaska crusie was also in early September and I found it nice but cool during the day with colder temps in the evening. It also rained a couple of days. I also packed to allow layer dressing while on excursions.

Don't forget that if you forget something it just means that you'll have to shop in the ports for sweaters or sweatshirts :D

Layering works for us - but I always take a cardigan sweater, as it is sometimes cool in the dining room and main show lounge. Wife takes a shawl type cover.

Good waterproof windproof jacket (Goretex works well) is great for out on deck at night (and during the day as well - depending on the weather).

We just got off the Coral Princess on Saturday. :)

In Vancouver we were in shorts and tee or short sleeved shirts.

Likewise in Ketchikan (but we were told that is rare).

As we went north, it got cooler, cloudy, and rained a lot. :(

Juneau was full rain suits – my gortex rain pants and winter gortex shell came in very handy, but a sweater or sweatshirt under that was fine. Skagway was also “fair” but very foggy, with periods of rain, depending on what elevation you were at.

On deck in Glacier Bay it kept changing, from shirt sleeved warm, to “need a sweater cool”, and by College Fjords, went with the down vest under the shell. Some folks had gloves and hats as well.

Inside, however I agree with the post that said – just like in your house.

Jeans were fine on the Coral during the day, just not in the dining room at dinner.

Bring layers, and have a wonderful trip.

Layering is the way to go. A fleece pullover or zip jacket is great. Cruising the inside passage near the ice can get very cold, so a hat and gloves is a necessity. Please don't forget binoculars.

Many thanks to all of you who have responded to my question. We live in HOT and HUMID Texas so except for those sweaters and jeans, we need to do some serious shopping or borrowing for those daytime clothes. We'll be OK for the evenings. I'm thinking we may have some luck in a sporting goods store for the rain gear and rainproof jackets.

Thanks again.

On our trip to Alaska at the end of June we took Columbia jackets that were waterproof (or at least a good water resistence) and had the fleece lining that zipped out. These were perfect for Alaska because no matter what type of weather you had the proper weight of jacket.

If you do a lot of filming (can anyone avoid this in Alaska?) be sure to have a warm pocket for your extra batteries. Using them in the cold--like at glaciers--they will run down quicker. Be sure to take enough batteries along for all the pictures you want. You will also want something in which to put your equipment if it rains. In Juneau, where it poured on and off, I zipped my cameras into the front pocket of my waterproof windbreaker. This also kept things like tickets and guide maps dry. Have a wonderful time.

The key to Alaska LAYERS.

If you plan to do any excusions on the glaciers dress warmer. It can be quite cold up top.

I have read recent posts with temps in the 90s in Alaska. I was never so lucky.

Be sure to bring rain gear too. Umbrella & poncho for sure.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived