Cruising with baby?

katondeck

Dh and I have a 10 year anniversary coming up. Our baby will be 7 months old at the time. I was wondering if any of you would recommend or not recommend cruising with an infant and why?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Katondeck-

Being somewhat of an expert on babies and travel (I own a preschool, studied child development in college, and have four daughters), here's some insight...

It really depends on you and how attached you are to your baby? For example, my husband and I went on one three night cruise without our first daughter and hated it, because she was and is the most important thing to us. Since then we have been on eight cruises as a family, with each of our daughters traveling as infants. On some of these we have taken the grandparents along to help watch the kids, for a little alone time, and others we have gone in ajoining cabins.

Of course there are some things that are difficult to do with an infant because you have to watch then all the time, but a cruise is an excellent way to travel with young children.

Best of all, when you want that alone time, all major cruise lines have in-room babysitters or in the case of Disney, a separate babysitting room as part of the kids deck. We have never had any problems traveling with our girls as infants, in fact it is quite a tale to tell later that they are each world travellers!

On the otherhand, if you are looking for that special romantic time away from your child (or as we say in the child care business--(the opportunity to generate new customers...) then maybe bringing your child along isn't for you?? Some people prefer that special time away from their children and either response is okay.

By the way, we are leaving Saturday for the Disney Magic cruise (our ninth as a family), taking our newest daughter Sydney who is 3 months old, so I can speak from experience!!!

If you are going to travel with your little one remember some things to consider...

1. There can be lots of GERMS on a cruise ship (although we have never had a problem), but bring the standard medications and we always bring bottled water for baby bottles rather than using tap water (again we've never had a problem and ship water is generally cleaner than the standard city water).

2. Bring a good portable stroller, one that reclines so baby can nap.

3. Depending on when your going, if baby doesn't sit up well, we also bring a car seat.

4. Ask for a portable crib and diaper gennie, most ships have them for no charge.

5. Check with your pediatrician for any specials insights/concerns for your destinations, (I also ask for the standard antibiotic to take with me just in case it is needed).

6. Bring layered adjustible clothing and a good head cover for baby, although we are traveling during the summer, ships can get quite cold with the A/C...

7. Bring a few special toys for your child.

8. If desired,plan when you get on board for babysitter times/days (We have paid $5-$10/hr and have always gotten someone great...The ships will generally use a children's program counselor, which gives them the chance to earn a little extra money).

9. Don't worry about including your child in stuff on the ship... Ours go to dinner/shows with us, on shore excursions (ask first) and of course to the pool.

10. Remember, relax and have fun with your child its his/her vacation too. Although they may not remember much at that age, you will and will have lots of stories to share!

Hope this helps! We wouldn't go anywhere without our daughters because they are so much a part of our life. But, we don't fault those who prefer not to take their child(ren) because time away can be important too! So it is really up to you and what you are comfortable with to have a great time. AND HAPPY TENTH!

-Dawn [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

PS: on most ships babies travel for port charges only, although I did find an exception (Princess) which is full fare for an infant for out tenth cruise in November.

Cruise lines have different policies on infants:

RCI - charges the 3rd passenger fare
Princess - the 3rd passenger fare and also limits the number of children on sailings
NCL - port charges only
HAL - reduced third oerson "infant" fare

Anyone else?

I traveled with a 9 month on HAL. Lot's to bring but I thought it was worth it.
Stroller that lays down is a great idea. Car seat for shore excursions and the plane.

Buy bottled water onboard. If infant is on formula, bring dry and mix it as you go. I found that enfamil had little packages of 4 oz dry formula - worked well on shore didn't need any type of cooler bag.

Good Luck!

Days til our vacation
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;2;28;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

we have travel with our four year old grandson since he was months old.he has been to europe twice,canada once and has been on seven cruises.my newest grandson is thirteen months old and has been to europe once and one cruise.cruising with infants is easier than traveling to europe.it seems to me to be rather simple.we always book a veranda because we are in the cabin alot. we normally only go to one fancy dinner per cruise,and much of the shows we don't go to.however, there is plenty to do without the shows.

If you really enjoy your baby, bring baby. But the cruise will really revolve around baby. We just returned from a Princess Alaskan cruise where we were able to put our kids in the kid's program for the first time. We were totally liberated. Kids must be three and potty trained... and they are strict about this. No private babysitting is available on Princess... and I don't believe we got much of a price break for the kids (4 and 6).

We have taken cruises when they were much smaller. I would agree with the balcony suggestion... hard to get them down for a nap while in the room.

We enjoyed all the cruises... they were just different when they were younger. I will say, the staff was fantastic towards them. They seemed to go out of their way more for them then us. It took a matre d' (sp?) a few extra minutes to rustle up some fresh blueberries for my 3 year old. I kept telling him not to bother. But he found them. My son (now 4) still talks about it (and wants that same service at home).

I am in my 3rd trimester with our third and that is why I'm checking out Disney. We'll keep on cruising with kids. I also think Disney has infant baby sitting.

• 1 month later...
daycarectr and chattycathy1: what do you do with your children on board who are 1 1/2 years old to 2 1/2 years old. From what I understand, most lines do not allow children in the pool unless they are fully potty trained (no swim diapers allowed). I have a 22 month old son and another son due 9/15. My son is very well behaved and has a good temperament, but he is very active. If I was up on the pool deck, he would most assuredly want to get in the pool. I can envision a 7 day struggle trying to keep him away from the pool and other such activities that are appealing, but not appropriate for a youngster of that age. So how do you keep your youngsters busy/happy?

Archived