ES question/call into Carnival with good results

First time cruising with Carnival coming up in July. Booked ES in an 8N last year. Somewhere along the line I decided to upgrade to an ocean suite. Fast forward to now there have been a ton of price drops on balcony cabins but nothing on the OS.

I called yesterday, fully expecting to have to pay $150 to cancel and rebook (for 3 people) in order to go back to an 8N balcony and losing any future ES price drops. Our original cabin dropped about $450 so even after paying the $150 penalty I would still be doing ok.

As I sat on hold I was thinking of how to phrase my question. As I'm a newbie to Carnival I decided to go with "changed cabin a few weeks ago and would like to go back to my original cabin". Response was ok no problem. 2 minute call, no questions or issues with the fact I was downgrading cabin category. New invoice still shows ES footnote so I'm also eligible for any additional price drops.

I'm happy. OS would have been nice but I couldn't justify $800 more for the week to get a better bathroom, no other real suite perks.

Guess my question is for people experienced with ES does this sound right or did I just luck out with a generous carnival rep?

I thought so. With everything I've read, you can always go up categories - but it shouldn't work in reverse. I'll take it though!

Glad I thought about how I phrased the question though, versus just calling and saying I want to cancel, pay penalty and rebook different cabin. Think that worked to my advantage.

More money for drinks and excursions :D