kid friendly restaurant in Juneau

K D cruiser

We'll be in Juneau in July with our two grand kids, 9 and 13. My husband and I have been to the Red Dog Saloon before, but I'm not sure I want to take the kids there. I'm looking for a place with burgers, chicken fingers, kid type food.

Does anyone know if there is a place to eat at the top of Mt. Roberts?

Thanks for any info.

A quick Google search shows that there is a bar and grill, and here's the menu: http://www.goldbelttours.com/mount-roberts-tramway/timberline-bar-grill/

I haven't eaten there, but I don't think that I'd spend $12 for a burger there when I could get one free on the ship...

We'll be in Juneau in July with our two grand kids, 9 and 13. My husband and I have been to the Red Dog Saloon before, but I'm not sure I want to take the kids there. I'm looking for a place with burgers, chicken fingers, kid type food.

Thanks for any info.

There is a place to eat up at the top of the tram. Personally, I have always been far from impressed with the place. I don't recall if they have a kids menu up there, but I recall then serving pretty "normal" food that kids eat. It has been 3 years since I ate up there with my kids. The food isn't terrible. It is just on the "OK" side. If you are up on the tram anyway and need a bite to eat, the place is acceptable. If you go up there specifically to eat, then I'd tell someone to eat someplace else.

There are a few good restaurants downtown within walking distance of the tram area that I think serve good food. Those are the Twisted Fish and the Hangar on the Wharf. I'm not sure about the "kid friendly" factor. I remember taking my kids to the Twisted Fish and I don't recall them complaining, but for the life of me, I can't remember of they have a kids menu either. You can check out the menu for both online. I haven't taken my kids to the Hangar, but they do serve excellent food.

If you are in the mood for Mexican food, there is a place called the El Sombraro on Franklin street. They serve decent Mexican food. Again, not sure about the kid friendly factor, but it isn't a bar like the Red Dog :)

If you don't have mobility issues, about a mile walk from the Tram (not too far from the Hangar on the Wharf) is a pizza place called Bullwinkles. 20 years ago, I would have told you they serve some of the best pizza in the country. Now a days, I'd say that the serve an OK pizza. I usually eat at the location in the Valley (the area by the glacier) and they have video games and such for the kids to play at that location. It has been years since I've eaten in the downtown location, so I don't recall if they have a similar setup. The Bullwinkles in the valley is where my kids (10, 8, and 6 now) love to go and plan on going this summer when I take them up to Juneau this summer.

If you end up renting a car, let me know and I can greatly expand on the restaurant list. These are just what I can recall in the downtown area.

Thanks, Slider. We're going to Mendenhall Glacier. Is the Bullwinkles Pizza you're talking about near the glacier? Maybe we could eat there before taking the blue bus back to the pier area. We'll be in port from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. and I don't want to waste time going back to the ship for dinner.

Thanks, Slider. We're going to Mendenhall Glacier. Is the Bullwinkles Pizza you're talking about near the glacier? Maybe we could eat there before taking the blue bus back to the pier area. We'll be in port from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. and I don't want to waste time going back to the ship for dinner.

The area around Bullwinkles in the valley is the closest restaurants to the glacier I can think of off the top of my head, but they are still around 4 miles away from the glacier.

There is nothing to eat within reasonable walking distance of the glacier. If you are taking the blue bus back and forth, it is really going to limit your options to downtown.

If you had time to kill, you could walk to the bus stop about a mile away from the glacier and catch the bus to the Mendenhall Mall where Bullwinkles and a few other restaurants and a grocery store is. You'd probably have to catch a cab back downtown unless you wanted to wait for another bus and spend an hour riding back to the area of the ship.

You can get take-out from the Red Dog if I recall and take it with you. However, eating at the area around the glacier is a frowned upon due to the bears.